Howth Shopping

Nicky's Plaice
    Howth Harbour

Most Recent Shopping in Howth

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Nicky's Plaice: Fresh Fish, Seafood and Much More!

by suvanki Updated May 2, 2015

This is the oldest shop on West Pier, opened in 1959, by Nicky McLoughlin, who had worked as a fisherman (His family had been involved in fishing and the fishing industry for over 200 years!) it was originally a 'lean-to'. This thriving business is now run by Nicky's son Martin.

Nicky's is a supplier to some of the top restaurants in Howth and beyond, as it is recognised for the quality and freshness of its stock. The fishing boats land their catch within a few steps of the shop! Their home smoked salmon is particularly celebrated!
    Rick Stein considers it the best place to shop for fresh fish in Howth!

I came across this shop during my second visit to Howth, when I purchased a tub of their own lemon pepper (a seasoning that I use quite a lot, not just on fish, and this was the best I'd come across). I was quite disappointed when I ran out, but hoped to re-stock at my next trip to Howth in 2009
    During this visit, Howth was deluged by a torrential rainfall- despite being completely soaked to the skin, I battled on down through the puddles of the West Pier road, to reach Nicky's Plaice, .... and was gutted to find that it was closed that day.

In October 2010, myself and four friends enjoyed an overnight stay in Dublin. We had arrived early in Howth, straight from Dublin Airport. So early that the shops weren't open yet. We spent some time watching the seals in the harbour and watching the sunrise. I had decided that I would return here, before catching the train back to Dublin, However...Nicky's was open!!!!! I darted into the shop, followed by my friends, and I think we gave the staff a bit of a shock. I spied a few tubs of lemon pepper, and grabbed a couple- I would have taken more,'s a good excuse to return to Howth !!!
    My friends also purchased this, plus packets of chowder mix/spice rubs

Over the years, I've made a beeline to Nicky's, whenever I've been in the area. There is always a lovely atmosphere, with plenty of good humoured chat between the staff and customers. I'm always fascinated to see the wide variety of fish on display, with the aroma of the sea. (Unlike some fish markets, where the smell of fish is overpowering)
    On a couple of occasions, I have 'phoned and the staff have mailed me a few pots of my favourite condiment - always a lovely relaxed experience of shopping. Despite being an infrequent visitor, and the shop usually being busy, I've always received friendly and personal service

My only regret is that I've not been able to purchase any fresh fish or shellfish here, due to stopping in accommodation without cooking facillities. Also, I'm usually a little uncertain as to what to purchase and how to cook it, when it comes to fish, but I'd have no worries about asking the staff here as they are so knowledgeable and approachable.

At my recent visit (April 2015) I noted there was an addition to the building, of a new Smoke House.(The only Open fire smokehouse in Dublin). There was quite a lively atmosphere in the shop, with a photographer taking photographs of Martin and Nicky and other staff members.They still had time to serve their customers, with friendly chatter.Of course I left with a few pots of 'my usual' As it had been a while since my last visit, I'd contacted Sheila to check that this was still stocked, and she'd kindly offered to keep a few pots on one side for me.

The weekend after this visit was when the annual Dublin Bay Prawn Festival was to be held (25th-26th April 2015)- perhaps I'll arrange a trip for next years event.

Nicky's Plaice has a FACEBOOK PAGE which is updated regularly with offers, delicious recipes and events.

Opening Hours
    Monday - Saturday 09:00–18:00
    Thursday opens until 20.00

A lovely business with great produce, reasonable prices and Fantastic customer service, which makes shopping here a pleasure.

Nicky's Plaice is to receive my first VT Members' Choice Award!
    This is awarded to businesses that chosen VT members themselves consider to be worthy of this award, due to their great service and being of interest to potential visiters.

What to buy: Besides the freshest and reasonably priced fish and seafood?????

Lemon Pepper and Chowder mixes etc

Smoked Salmon - A speciality of Nicky's - the smoked mackerel appears to have quite a following too

What to pay: From a few Euros upwards.....

Nicky's Plaice Howth Harbour Nicky's Plaice Nicky's Plaice April 2015
    • Fishing
    • Sailing and Boating

• suvanki's Profile Photo

The Country Market: 'The Home of Good Food'

by suvanki Updated Sep 19, 2009

I called in here to look for local 'foody gifts' I like to take back home, something locally produced either for myself or as a gift for friends or family.

Well, I wish that I hadn't been restricted to my hand luggage only - there were plenty of things that I would have liked to buy. These included local cheeses, pickles and chutneys, biscuits and cakes, tins and packets of preserved fish.
    A large proportion of the produce was organic.

There was also an impressive deli counter, with fresh meals to take away, As well as freshly baked bread.
    There is also a wide range of Pastas, rices, wholegrains etc, as well as vegetables, fruit, dried fruit and nuts.

In the end I purchased a few packets of ready mixed herbs and spices for an Irish Roast Beef rub(with a recipe printed on the packet) I also bought some dried fruit and nuts and crystallized ginger, to snack on.

Upstairs is a cafe. I didn't get to eat here, as I'd already enjoyed elevenses at The House, a few doors away.

I'm looking forward to coming here again the next time I visit Howth - and I'll leave room in my case!

What to buy: Locally produced cheeses, prepared cold cuts, smoked fish, pickles and chutneys

What to pay: From a few pence to as much as you want.

The Country Market

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Howth Harbour Gallery: Look or Buy

by grandmaR Written Jul 18, 2007

The tourist board website mentioned this place as a place to visit on Howth. I did not have a chance to do so, but I did get pictures of the street where it is - it was on the Abbey Road between Abbey Tavern and the waterfront.

What to buy: The website says they have various styles of art at affordable prices.

Sign for gallery on the left Other direction - sign on right
    • Luxury Travel

• jjasmine's Profile Photo

Sea food

by jjasmine Updated Oct 1, 2003

They have alot of great frest sea food and it's not too expensive.

What to buy: Loster, sea mussels, fish.....flat fish,, we used for shashimi. tastes not bad.

What to pay: 100 Euro

The shop

Instant Answers: Howth

Howth Shopping

Reviews and photos of Howth shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Howth sightseeing.