Howth Shopping

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Nicky's Plaice: Fresh Fish, Seafood and mixes

by suvanki Updated Jan 30, 2013

Nickys Plaice

This is the oldest shop on West Pier, opened in 1959, by Nicky McLoughlin, who had worked as a fisherman (His family had been involved in Fishing and the fishing industry for over 200 years!) it was originally a 'lean-to'. The business is now run by Nickys son.

Nicky's is a supplier to some of the top restaurants in Howth, as it is recognised for the quality and freshness of its stock. Their smoked salmon is particularly celebrated!
    Rick Stein considers it the best place to shop for fresh fish in Howth!

I came across it during my first visit to Howth, when I purchased a tub of their own lemon Pepper (a seasoning that I use quite a lot, not just on fish). I was quite disappointed when I ran out, but hoped to re-stock at my next trip to Howth (July '09)
    During this visit, Howth was deluged by a torrential rainfall- despite being completely soaked to the skin, I battled on down through the puddles of the West Pier road, to reach Nicky's Plaice, to purchase a pot of lemon pepper....... and was gutted to find that it was shut!!!!!!

This visit, October 2010, I was determined to get my hands on 'my prize'. We had arrived early in Howth, straight from Dublin Airport. So early that the shops weren't open yet. We spent some time watching the seals in the harbour and watching the sunrise. I had decided that I would return here, before catching the train back to Dublin, However...Nickys was open!!!!! I darted into the shop, followed by my 4 friends, and I think we gave the staff a bit of a shock. I spied a few tubs of lemon pepper, and grabbed a couple- I would have taken more, but....it's a good excuse to return to Howth !!!

My friends also purchased this, plus packets of chowder mix/spice rubs

UPDATE - 2011 I'd ran out of my lemon pepper -Disaster! Tempted to fly to Dublin to visit this shop and pick up a few tubs, but decided to 'phone and see if they could post me some -Success! The lovely staff posted me 4 tubs - a pleasure dealing with them!

2013 - Have just arranged another order - waiting in anticipation :-)

What to buy: Besides the freshest and reasonably priced fish and seafood...

Lemon Pepper 1.50 Euros (2010)

Smoked Salmon-A speciality of Nicky's

What to pay: From a few Euros upwards.....

• Fishing
    • Sailing and Boating

• suvanki's Profile Photo

The Country Market: 'The Home of Good Food'

by suvanki Updated Sep 19, 2009

The Country Market

I called in here to look for local 'foody gifts' I like to take back home, something locally produced either for myself or as a gift for friends or family.

Well, I wish that I hadn't been restricted to my hand luggage only - there were plenty of things that I would have liked to buy. These included local cheeses, pickles and chutneys, biscuits and cakes, tins and packets of preserved fish.
    A large proportion of the produce was organic.

There was also an impressive deli counter, with fresh meals to take away, As well as freshly baked bread.
    There is also a wide range of Pastas, rices, wholegrains etc, as well as vegetables, fruit, dried fruit and nuts.

In the end I purchased a few packets of ready mixed herbs and spices for an Irish Roast Beef rub(with a recipe printed on the packet) I also bought some dried fruit and nuts and crystallized ginger, to snack on.

Upstairs is a cafe. I didn't get to eat here, as I'd already enjoyed elevenses at The House, a few doors away.

I'm looking forward to coming here again the next time I visit Howth - and I'll leave room in my case!

What to buy: Locally produced cheeses, prepared cold cuts, smoked fish, pickles and chutneys

What to pay: From a few pence to as much as you want.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Howth Harbour Gallery: Look or Buy

by grandmaR Written Jul 18, 2007

Sign for gallery on the left

The tourist board website mentioned this place as a place to visit on Howth. I did not have a chance to do so, but I did get pictures of the street where it is - it was on the Abbey Road between Abbey Tavern and the waterfront.

What to buy: The website says they have various styles of art at affordable prices.

• Luxury Travel

• jjasmine's Profile Photo

Sea food

by jjasmine Updated Oct 1, 2003

The shop

They have alot of great frest sea food and it's not too expensive.

What to buy: Loster, sea mussels, fish.....flat fish,, we used for shashimi. tastes not bad.

What to pay: 100 Euro

Instant Answers: Howth

Comments

Howth Shopping

Reviews and photos of Howth shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Howth sightseeing.