Getting Around Howth

Most Viewed Transportation in Howth

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Taxi from Dublin Airport

by suvanki Updated Apr 4, 2011

Originally, we'd planned to catch the 747 bus into Dublin (6.50 Euros each), then the DART to Howth from Connelly Station (about 2.30 Euros one way) as I'd done previously. As there were 5 of us, we decided to take the taxi instead.
    The usual cabs carry 4 passengers, so we were directed to another taxi rank, where a MSV taxi drew up.
    When we asked for Connelly Station, the Taxi Driver asked where we were going, when we said Howth, he said that it would cost about the same to go there directly-40 Euros, so we agreed with this. (The fare to Dublin centre by normal cab is around 25 Euros)
    The driver seemed quite bemused that we were going to Howth, and kept asking what do you want to go there for? Apparently his first comment (which I didn't hear) was "What the Feck Do You want to be going there for?!!!!!

He couldn't understand that we wanted to visit this attractive fishing village, and get some fresh sea air into our lungs, and stretch our legs with a stroll etc. We were only here for 24 hours, so this made our trip more memorable.

It was a pleasant journey, through winding country lanes, before reaching the coast at Sutton (where I'd visited on a previous trip to Dublin and Howth) and then Howth. We arrived near West Pier, as the sun was still rising.

We returned to Dublin by DART.

The taxi rank at Dublin Airport is quite well organised, with staff to guide you to your taxi, and give useful information/directions.

Leaving Arrivals, the Taxi ranks are to the Right (The 747 buses are to the left, and the local bus station is directly opposite)

Our Taxi arrives in Howth
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Fishing

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Flight to Dublin from East Midlands airport

by suvanki Updated Oct 22, 2010

The nearest airport to Howth is Dublin. I usually fly here from East Midlands airport with Ryanair.

The flight times are pretty good, and I have visited just for the day. My flight departed at 06.30 (arriving in Dublin just before 07.30), and returned 20.55, so plenty of time to visit Sutton, Howth then Dublin before flying home.
    This cost me £16 for a return flight, including taxes etc.

I'd certainly consider doing this as a day trip again - Although I'd love to spend a few nights in Howth too.

Dublin airport is about a 30 minute ride into the city depending on traffic flow ( allow plenty of time for your return journey to the airport, particularly during rush hour and when there are sporting events/ festivals etc). If you get to the airport with plenty of time to spare, there's a lot to keep you occupied. I was surprised at the size of the airport, and its many shops - it was like being in a shopping mall!

Taxis, The Dublin Bus companies airport service or the local bus service can be found outside the Arrivals exit. (The local bus station is just across the pedestrian crossing)

I caught the number 747 Dublin Bus from the airport. You purchase your ticket from one of the machines at the bus stop before boarding. There was a very helpful employee from the bus company, who asked each passenger about their travel plans, and advised them of the best ticket to buy. I was advised to buy a 1 day Rambler ticket for 6 euros, that gave unlimited use on the buses including Howth, and my return to the airport!

The bus stops at O'Connell Street ( in the centre of Dublin) and the Busaras (Central bus station) which is where I alighted. CLICK HERE for Dublin Bus Company info including ticket types and prices.
    Outside the bus station is the Dublin Bus stop for Howth. (Buses operating from inside the bus station belong to the Bus Eirreann company).

The bus station is located opposite the Custom House, and is about halfway between the DART stations of Connolly and Tara Street, where you can catch the train to Howth.

Just landed at Dublin Airport Dublin Bus's 747 Airport to Dublin City service Landing in Dublin
    • Trains

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Getting to the Cliff Walk by car

by Dabs Written Jul 30, 2009

If you are visiting Howth by car, you might consider driving to the summit and parking there for the Cliff Walk as you'll then see the nicest part of it and the view from the summit is said to be the best on the peninsula.

• Sininen's Profile Photo

By boat to Ireland's Eye

by Sininen Written Jun 29, 2005

We walked to the pier and found the place where the boats to Ireland's Eye leave. We wanted to go to that island, because we had read that puffins nest there. There was one other woman, who wanted to go there and she said that the man has promised to take us there (but not only her). He said that he'd pick us in an hour, which we thought was too short a time and finally we agreed that he would come in 90 minutes.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Sailing and Boating

• acemj's Profile Photo

By boat!

by acemj Updated Jun 1, 2003

I'm sure you could hire a boat!! Now that would be the way to arrive at a luncheon at King Sitric, wouldn't it?!!

Howth Hotels

Latest Howth Hotel Reviews

Deer Park Hotel and Golf Course
Latest: Jun 29, 2014
Gleann-na-Smol B&B
Highfield B&B
Latest: Jul 12, 2014

Instant Answers: Howth

Comments

Howth Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Howth locals.
Map of Howth