Sutton Travel Guide

Schooner Bar lounge
    Phil Lynott's grave April 2015

Sutton Things to Do

by suvanki Updated May 2, 2015

From about 1973, I was a Thin Lizzy fan (after hearing their version of Whiskey in the Jar) and had a huge crush on their charismatic lead singer/ bass player - Phil Lynott. I saw him in concert 7 times.

Yes, I had the T-shirt(s) posters, singles and the albums (pre- CD/ MP3 players/i-pods etc)

When I heard the news on 4th January 1986, that Phil Lynott was dead- aged just 36 from heart failure and pneumonia, following years of alcohol and drug addiction, it was still quite a shock. Disbelief, sadness and anger were some of my emotions - I wouldn't get to see him perform again, though I'd still have my recordings and memories.

So, 22 years after his death, I finally got to visit his grave.
    I'd booked Ryanair trip to Dublin for the day-arriving at 06.30 and departing at around 2200 hours gave me the chance to visit Dublin, Sutton and Howth.

Leaving Sutton train station, I know that I needed to find St Fintan's cemetery. (I'd assumed that this would be in the grounds of St Fintan's church) so asked directions- it was about a 10 minute walk or so to the church. I wandered around the outside for a while (There was a service going on inside) looking for the graveyard. There were no grave stones here.
    Well, to cut a long story short, after asking lots of locals (including a lovely man who gave me a brief history of this area, and pointed out the landmarks on the coastline) I finally found out that the cemetery was about a mile away, up a hill.

Arriving at the cemetery, I found that it was larger than I expected, and was divided into 2 halves. There was a young chap near the entrance selling flowers, so I decided to ask him if he knew where Phil Lynott's grave was.

Yes, he knew- "Follow the path facing forward until the end, turn right and walk to the end of the path - Then walk back 4 plots and the 3rd grave in is Phil's"

Officially it is Plot 13 of the St. Polan's Section. It wasn't too difficult to spot.

The grave was well tended - apparently his mother visits regularlyNewspaper Article. Tokens left by fans were scattered around - Black Roses (Roisin Dubh), framed photos, figures of Dennis the Menace, jewellery and other trinkets.

The original tomb was marked by 'The Cross of the Cowboy' but the cemetery officials insisted on it being replaced by something more appropriate. (The headstones in the cemetery are laid flat, rather than being upright).

The replacement is a granite slab, with Celtic engravings and the Gaelic words Go dtuga Dia suaimhneas da anam" can be translated roughly as "May God give peace to his soul"

The stone was designed by Jim Fitzpatrick, who was responsible for some of Thin Lizzy's iconic album covers (as well as the iconic Che Guevara poster). He was also a long standing friend and neighbour of Phil's.

I've since visited this grave twice - each time, there have been additions and replacements to the 'offerings' and photographs etc. left by fans from around the world.

Charles Haughey the former Irish Taoiseach ( Prime Minister) was buried here following a State Funeral in 2006. There are other important residents from the worlds of politics, literature, art and theatre buried hereCLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

I was quite pleased to find that my review had been linked to a Trip Adviser question regarding how to find Phil's grave TA thread

R.I.P.    Philip Parris Lynott 20.8.1949- 4.1.1986 Phil Lynott's grave    2008 Phil Lynott's grave 2008 Phil Lynott's grave 2008 Phil Lynott's grave April 2015
    • Music
    • Trains

Sutton Transportation

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

by Gillybob Updated May 23, 2015

If your timing is right, then taking the bus from Dublin Airport to Sutton is an excellent option. The 102 bus runs through the neighbourhoods around the airport and takes a little more than an hour to get from the airport to its terminal stop at Sutton DART station.

There are excellent views out over the cost when you run along the coastal roads before dipping in to the residential area and dip back out to the coast.

Services run approximately hourly on weekdays and Saturday whilst Sunday services are less frequent.

by suvanki Updated Apr 19, 2015

I caught the DART to Sutton from Dublins Tara Street station. My ticket was purchased from the ticket office. They don't accept debit/credit cards, but there is an ATM just outside this small station. I'm afraid that I don't remember the exact price (will try to find my ticket stubs) but think it was just over 2 euros.
    My plan was to travel to Sutton, then catch the DART to Howth, before returning to Dublin. I was expecting to be able to buy a 'Day Saver' ticket, but had to pay for each leg of my journey individually.

The DART is a good service, there is an electric 'map' of the route in each carriage, plus regular (too regular?) messages to announce that "This is the train for Howth" and signs informing of the next station.

UPDATE - April 2015 - I stayed in Sutton for 3 nights, as The Marine Hotel offered better value than staying in Dublin itself and being on the DART line, offered a good base for getting to Howth and Bray.
    A single ticket from Connelly station was 3.15 euros. There is a Leap ticket that offers multi journeys for just under 20 Euros, that covers train and bus fares.

There is a cafe at the station that offers hot and cold drinks and snacks.

Sutton Station Sutton Station sign DART train crossing bridge in Dublin Sutton DART Station DART Route Map
    • Trains
    • Beaches

• Sutton Hotels

0 Hotels in Sutton

Sutton What to Pack

by suvanki Written Nov 5, 2009

Luggage and bags: This was a day trip from Dublin, so I just carried a large handbag-enough for my camera, notebook etc.- it was a fairly good day, but I was wearing my waterproof jacket, with big pockets

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: comfy shoes- and come prepared for all weathers-even in Summer.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I think there was a chemist/ pharmacy here.

Photo Equipment: A photogenic shoreline-so bring your camera/ lenses/batteries etc.

Sutton- over Dublin Bay Sutton- over Dublin Bay Sutton
    • Music

Instant Answers: Sutton

Comments

Sutton Travel Guide
Map of Sutton