Architectural and Ecclesiastical landmarks, Galway
Favorite thing: History does not clearly indicate whether the arch that still stands here is part of the medieval city wall. It is believed that the arch may well be an extension built in 1584. It was utilised as a lookout post, from which the advance of unwanted buccaneers could be spotted. The 'Spanish Arch' actually consists of two arches. The front of the Arch is part of the historic Fishmarket area, where Claddagh women would traditionally sell freshly-caught fish.
National University of Ireland-Galway - Initially called Queen's College Galway, Galway's central university was designed and built by the architect J.B. Keane during the Great Famine. However, it didn't open its doors to students until October 1884. Women students were first permitted to enroll in 1906, and the first woman to receive an engineering degree in Ireland received it at this university.
The campus has recently expanded to accommodate its increasing student body. Most of the university buildings range in age from the mid-19th century to the brand new Millennial Arts building. The original structure, a 19th-century, neo-Gothic quadrangle, is well worth seeing.