City walks and Towns worth visiting, Galway

Know about this? Rate It!

by jckim
    by jpaustin
    by Bodhran
  • wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Sunset at Galway Bay

by wadekorzan Written Sep 4, 2002

Fondest memory: I walked down the main street, so full of people in the pubs and restaurants, with so many people shopping, and crossed over the Wolfe Tone Bridge when suddenly I saw all of the buildings illuminated by the sun's magnificent sunset. It was so peaceful..an unforgettable moment.

• My trip to galway Ireland: Amazing places

by jessicapaul Written Nov 28, 2009

Favorite thing: I recently spent a week-end in Galway with my partner. We took the train from Dublin to Galway. We stayed at Lynfield Guesthouse in College Road. It was just a two to three minute walk from the train station. The B&B was wonderful, warm and well furnished. The breakfast was top quality with a choice of full Irish of continental. There were about ten other B&B along the same street.
    Galway is a great city for socialising or shopping. Quay Street has to be the most exciting street in Ireland with lots of quaint bars, restaurants and night clubs. We ate at McDonaghs Fish shop. It was obvious that it was good as the place was full and there was a queue for the take-away also. Another evening we ate at the Malt House Restaurant off Shop Street. This was more upmarket and definitely worth a visit.
    We really enjoyed our break in Galway and look forward to going back sometime soon.

We stayed at: http://www.lynfieldguesthouse.com/
    Wiki guide : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway

Fondest memory: Cliffs of Moher. Feel like visiting that place again and again. View, weather everything was awesome. I think it should be included in natural wonders of World.
    Food and wine is worth remembering

• Wine Tasting

• jpaustin's Profile Photo

I was really impressed with...

by jpaustin Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: I was really impressed with the color of Galway's buildings. I'd been in England for over a month by the time I arrived in Galway, so I was used to gray, drab buildings that were always wet and looked drippy. I'd suggest that you visit UCG (the university), which was a much more attractive campus than the one I studied at in L'pool. Also visit the Punch Bag for traditional Irish music in an intimate atmosphere. Hit some pubs. I should ask my girlfriend for more things you 'absolutely must' do, since she spent five weeks there in 1999.

• Bodhran's Profile Photo

Visit Clifden pictured here. ...

by Bodhran Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit Clifden pictured here. Small enough to walk the town and the top picture on this page is a view from the Sky Road looking out to the Atlantic. Take it for spectacular views...believe me, this is an ordinary 35 mm camera picture!!! Hard to take a bad picture in Ireland!

• Bodhran's Profile Photo

County Galway boosts the...

by Bodhran Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: County Galway boosts the beautiful Galway Bay and the stark beauty of Connemara. Didn't see many ponies but alot of sheep. I recommend driving off the beaten path near the sea and you will find some lovely towns and views. I enjoyed Westport, Clifden, and the lovely seaside village of Roundstone where the 'Matchmaker' was filmed...a must see film if going to the West.

Fondest memory: My fondest memories are the people...especially the people of Carna, County Galway. Spent a lot of time socializing at Moran's and tipping a pint or two. Being there two weeks gave us plenty of time to make cherished friends. We were there when a Spanish fishing boat went down off the coast of Carna with only one survivor. The warmth of the community welcoming the families and providing a church service ( in English, Gaelic, AND Spanish) was awesome and touching. These are farmers and fishermen living by the weather in an unforgiving environment...yet they are charming, funny, and hard workers. The phrase, 'What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger' is a fitting description of the people of the Gaelect.

• dankata's Profile Photo

Stroll the streets. Slowly and...

by dankata Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Stroll the streets. Slowly and easy. They are not that long, and you're not going anywhere. If you think you have to stop somewhere you're probably right. Kill yourself with unhealthy but sane Irish breakfast, have a pint instead of orange juice and talk with the people - it's not a sign of profanity but of friendliness. Go to a live music pub and sing loud, sing proud. Ireland is the land of the free.

Fondest memory: The captain of the ferry going to Aran Island. He was looking like Johnny Rotten's older brother and we thought he'll sink the vessel in the deep. For some reason he didn't do it and so the island came to be another fond memory.

• A clean day 1990

by sabsi Updated Jul 28, 2005

Galway 1990

Fondest memory: 1990 when someone put washing powder into a fountain at Eyre Square and the streets of the whole city were covered with lather all day! Really funny!!

Instant Answers: Galway