Fish'n'Chips, Fast Food, Galway

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 11 Reviews

All Galway centre

The chips were as good as the fish!!
    by Phoenix1968
  • At 2:30am. A rare quiet moment at McDonagh's!
    At 2:30am. A rare quiet moment at...
    by Phoenix1968
    mmmmm Good
    by Cruefan
  • Cruefan's Profile Photo

Fish'n'Chips, Fast Food: McDonaghs Fish And Chips

by Cruefan Updated Jun 3, 2005

mmmmm Good

I was told that while in Galway I had to visit McDonaghs and I'm glad I did. The menu is filled with fried seafood and chips. The food wasn't as good as Leo Burdicks in Dublin but was a close second to the places I went to.

The line to order was long and it was very competetive trying to get a seat inside. If your visiting Galway give them a try.

Favorite Dish: The fish and chips of course. The fish was tasty and the chips were nice and cooked perfect.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo

Kettle of Fish: Straight out of the sea

by slothtraveller Written Sep 3, 2010

Vying for the accolade of the best 'chipper' in Galway with nearby 'McDonaghs' on Quay St, my vote goes to the smaller scale 'Kettle of Fish' on Cross St. I went searching for a decent fish and chip shop and found McDonaghs first, as many tourists do. Unfortunately the place was very, very busy so I decided to go for a walk and find somewhere else. That's when I stumbled on the Kettle of Fish. There were only about 5 other diners there, probably due to the fact it is hidden down a back street. In truth, I had one of the best meals of my holiday there, reading the newspaper while scoffing fresh cod and chips! I'd definitely return on my next trip to Galway!

Favorite Dish: Cod and chips, of course! They do deep fried Mars bars too, although I wimped out of ordering one of those.

• Singles

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Mcdonagh's: Best fish & Chips in Galway

by sourbugger Updated Aug 23, 2004

Mc Donaghs restaurant

This place is a Galway institution.

It has a kind of double identity, as one side is a take away with wooden benches where you have to squash on with everyone else.

The other side is like a proper restaurant with a more extensive repertoire.

I would stick to the fast food side for atmosphere.

The place is decorated with a mish-mash of fishing stuff and clipping from mags / newspapers about the place.

Update : August 2004. recently shared an excellent meal with some guests from Boston.They seem quite amazed at the alcohol arrangements : unless you had wine, you had to walk next door to the Spanish arch hotel and take your drinks back from there - seemed sensible to me !

Favorite Dish: Cod and chips is the obvious choice and excellent, but it also a good chance to try out some more unusual fish that you don't see everyday in chippies (or chippers as the Irish call them)

• Waoife's Profile Photo

Spud Murphys: Spud Murphys - great for brunch!

by Waoife Updated Jul 14, 2003

Not the place for romantic meal but definitely good value in the breakfast department!

Favorite Dish: Sunday morming breakfast (actually they serve it all day for those of you that are really lazy!!!) - big fry (they do a really good veggie one too), orange juice, tea, coffee & plenty of toast/bread. Perfect for recovering from the night befoe!!!

Depending on what you choose the price is between €5 and €7 although you can get a breakfast roll with rasher, sausage & egg for €2.80.

• Catspjm's Profile Photo

So many to choose from: The diet starts tomorrow...

by Catspjm Written Feb 4, 2003

Fat Freddys: Cheap, cheerful and eternally trendy pizza joint oozing with character. Nab yourself a window seat and watch the word go by. Not the best food in town, but certainly one of the best atmospheres.
    McDonaghs: A fish and chip eatery and a Galway tradition. High-powered business execs sit beside crusty new age travelers (sorry, but its true!) scoffing the best fish and chips for miles.
    Gemeles: Mid to high priced. Excellent food and service in relaxed surroundings.
    The Oyster Rooms: In the Great Southern and in my opinion some of the best food in Galway with an amazingly reasonable wine list. Strange on both accounts for a large hotel.

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo

McDonagh's Seafood Bar: Fresh Seafood

by highlandlaura Updated Oct 5, 2004

Lunch, Jim, Val, Linda, Roni

Wonderful place! Packed with tourists, shoulder to shoulder! Great seafood and wine! An International crowd here! Hope I can return soon!

Favorite Dish: Any of the seafood selections are wonderful! Whatever you choose, enhance the flavor with a glass of white wine! Verrrry COZY bar.

• Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

McDonagh's: Battered Salmon?

by Jennyjump79 Written Dec 8, 2004

McDonagh's has two sections, one for sit-down dinners with table service and a fast-food side. I stayed with the fast food, fish-and-chips side, and was not disappointed. You get a lot of fish for a relatively small price, and it's pretty good. I stuck to haddock or cod, though-- deep fried salmon just didn't appeal to me.

• thunderbox's Profile Photo

McDonagh's: McDonagh's

by thunderbox Written Aug 25, 2002

These are the best fish & chips in Galway. They fry the chips so well that they're as crunchy as bag chips with a soft inside. The decor is cute, they have newspaper and magazine clippings all over and a whole nautical theme going on in the dining room. The customers are a mix of ourists and locals with more tourists in the dining room.

Favorite Dish: fish and chips with vinegar. YUMMMMMMM!

• McDonagh's: Kind of Average

by bluescat47 Written Oct 8, 2009

McDonaghs was just okay, I had better fish and chips in many of the pubs that I ate at. I also found it annoying that I was charged for condiments, for ketchup. Pretty ridiculous. But the location is great and you can sit by the window and watch the crowds go by.

• McDonagh's: Great Fish & Chips - no heavy greasy taste.

by Phoenix1968 Written Oct 29, 2012
    The chips were as good as the fish!!

My 18 yr old son and I ate at McDonagh's while in Galway as it had been recommended to us. When talking to the locals, several people had asked if we had been there yet. The line up was long and both sides of the restaurant and patio were packed solid. A testament to the good food. We were more determined to wait in line and get ours. Service was fast. We both had the fish & chips (Cod) and it was REALLY good. The chips actually tasted like freshly cooked potatoes and were light and golden. You can tell the oil in the fryer is changed frequently rather than being over used and ruining the taste of the chips. Generous portions of fish and chips. The drink servings are small but they aren't overcharging for them at least. The tables could be cleaned a little faster to allow for other people to sit with their food but it did seem like there was only one person on that when we were there. Under ten euros and we had a great filling meal. Would eat here again!!

Favorite Dish: Fish and chips!!

• McDonagh's: Ohhh, soo good!!

by Jen.W Written Mar 10, 2005

Delicious fish served up in a nice, crisp, Guinness batter. Apparently, they buy the fish daily, off the boats. If you're looking for fish and chips when you're in Galway, check out McDonagh's!!

Favorite Dish: I ordered the cod, and chips!! The servings seem huge. I enjoyed the crisp batter - more often than not, here in Calgary, you get a soggy batter...not at McDonagh's!!

Instant Answers: Galway