Irish Traditional and Galway Seafood, Galway

4 out of 5 stars 13 Reviews

• Cruefan's Profile Photo

The Quays Restaurant: Try the Aran Seafood Platter

by Cruefan Updated Jun 6, 2005

Located right next to the pub of he same name this restaurant served traditional Irish dishes and also burgers, chicken, and finger foods. I had the Aran Seafood platter and it was a mix of cold seafood dishes that featured smoked salmon, mussells, and seafood salads. It was very tasty.

Favorite Dish: Even though I loved my meal my wife ordered the Irish Stew and I'm glad I tried it. The lamb was cooked just right and it wasn't too heavy.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Conlon's Seafood Restaurant: Alternative to Mc Donagh's

by RhineRoll Updated Oct 29, 2006

Conlon's used to be a very reasonable upscale fish&chips restaurant, but since my first visit 1999, prices have increased beyond any measure repeating in small what goes for much of Ireland in general. At this price level, no alternative for McDonagh's.

Favorite Dish: Anything with fresh salmon

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Martines winebar: A very safe bet

by sourbugger Written Apr 28, 2008

It would be fair to say that eating out in Galway is not one of the world’s cheaper experiences. At least Martines wine bar offers a reliably high standard of food at the upper end of the mid-market. It’s not fine dining, but it is a real cut above the ‘pub grub’ served by most establishments. Starters average about 8-9 euro and mains around 15-25. Therefore reckon on about 50 euro a head with a sweet and a drink. They do some set menu’s as well which will help limit the price to about half of that.

A friend of mine was most impressed with the friendly service. Even when they has a little ‘hic-up’, they dealt with well. The restaurant had doubled booked a table, so the party at the table were politely asked if they wouldn’t mind having their sweet seated at the bar. The place threw in some complimentary Irish coffee as a thank-you. Everybody was happy !

Favorite Dish: Two starters really caught my eye here : ‘Local and fresh’ are always two good words to look for, and in Galway that means stuff that is hauled out of the Atlantic Ocean. The Galway bay oysters are harvested from Clarenbridge and are served ‘Au natural’. I had to enquire weather the menu was referring to seafood or the waiting staff.

The second dish of note is their most expensive starter : A selection of fine fish – Scampi. Salmon, silver hake and mussels with vegetables in a rich tomato sauce and served with brown bread. It’s basically an upmarket seafood chowder – and at 16 euro it should be !

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo

The King's Head: The King's Head

by highlandlaura Updated Oct 5, 2004

Good food, especially lunches. Cozy rooms, pool tables upstairs, Sports Bar at the rear of establishment. Sit at outside tables and enjoy your Irish coffee.
    Here we see Roni seated on the Royal throne with Linda and myself as her attendants.

Throne at the King's Head
    • Hiking and Walking

• RitchiS1's Profile Photo

MC NAMARAS RESTAURANT ,...

by RitchiS1 Updated Dec 4, 2003

MC NAMARAS RESTAURANT , friendly and beautiful stuffs !!
    The Quality has beenvery good and the price also , 7,50 EURO .
    You can get also the STEW for the doubble price .

Favorite Dish: Their you can get the IRIRISH STEW , I ve eaten it 3 times , and this one has been the best .

MC NAMARAS RESTAURANT

• leplaya's Profile Photo

Couch Potatas: Quick, filling meals.

by leplaya Written Jul 20, 2006

This is a restaurant that focuses on baked potatoes. There are a lot of variants and all the prices are very reasonable. 8 euro for a full, but (though it doesn’t say it on the menu) you can ask for a half portion. The restaurant is pretty small, so it might be a good idea to call ahead.

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo

McDonagh's Seafood Bar: Seafood Bar

by highlandlaura Updated May 31, 2008

Small and busy (but that's the charm!), fresh seafood, bustling with tourists in the High Street. The name over the door is in the Gaelic. McDonagh's Seafood Bar.

Favorite Dish: Anything here is great! Have a glass of white wine.

McDonagh's Fried fish, chips, white wine, wonderful!
    • Architecture
    • Festivals

• Jennyjump79's Profile Photo

Skeffington Arms: Carvery Lunch

by Jennyjump79 Written Dec 8, 2004

Pretty good cafeteria style carvery lunches here in a very elegant, very roomy, old-fashioned bar. Nice fireplace, lighting, and wood ornamentation. The only difficulty is finding the food-- if you aren't familiar with carvery lunches, you might wait a long time for someone to tell you that don't place your order at the bar. Instead, you go to a room all the way in the back to buy the food and carry it over to the bar.

Favorite Dish: I had lamb with mashed potatoes, carrots and gravy. Surprisingly good for a pub lunch.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Padraicin’s Bar & Restaurant: Great food; great views; great service

by Beausoleil Written Dec 20, 2014

We checked into our Galway B&B and started looking for lunch. We drove out the Barna Road along Galway Bay, a spectacular drive. At one point there was a turnout with parking so we stopped for photos. After soaking in the gorgeous ocean view, we spotted Padraicin's Bar and Restaurant across the road. Perfect.

We moved the car up to Padraicin's parking lot and went in. The waitress showed us to a table with the same view we had been photographing and got menus. We weren't very hungry because we'd been sitting in the car all day so split a sandwich and onion rings which were excellent. The waitress was full of local information which we used when we continued down the road. We vowed we would return and we did.

They do have rooms and the views are wonderful.

Favorite Dish: Our third day in Galway, we returned from a trip to Clifden and the Sky Drive and with a real appetite this time. Padraicin's deserves an appetite. This time Ed got rainbow trout and I got roast lamb, both excellent. We had ice cream for dessert and watched the tide come in while the sun set. A perfect day . . .

They serve vegetarian and coeliac (gluten-free) meals.

Padraicin's Bar & Restaurant Padraicin's Bar & Restaurant Padraicin's Bar & Restaurant Padraicin's Bar & Restaurant View from Padraicin's Bar & Restaurant
    • Hiking and Walking

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

The Cellar Bar: Fun bar-restaurant in the center of Galway

by Beausoleil Written Dec 20, 2014

We were in Galway for the day and trying to explore as much as possible. We stopped in the Tourist Office for a map and asked for a nearby restaurant that was good since it was raining and we didn't want to walk far. Just off Eyre Square at 12 Eglinton Street we found the recommended Cellar.

You go in and there are two levels. It was crowded so we walked up a few steps to the upper level and joined the crowd for lunch.

Service was prompt and friendly and the food was adequate to our needs. By the time we finished the rain had stopped and the rest of the day was glorious.

Favorite Dish: My husband had the fish and chips, a favorite of his. I had the salmon and it was excellent. Everything was fresh. I'm not sure what Peg had but suspect it may have been the goat cheese salad, a favorite of hers.

In the evenings they have live music which might be fun. At noon it's busy but reasonably quiet. The location can't be beat.

They offer vegetarian and coeliac (gluten free) selections and also regular selections modified for both diets. They also offer a special every day for 9.96 euros.

The Cellar Bar & Restaurant The Cellar Bar & Restaurant The Galway Hookers in Eyre Square

• Deefstes's Profile Photo

McDonagh's: McDonagh's

by Deefstes Updated Feb 26, 2003

This is a fine seafood restaurant in Galway city with a very old tradition. You get good value for money and they have a rather extensive menu. I've had better mussels in other restaurant's though.

Favorite Dish: Fish soup

Mussels

• The Quays: Abysmal

by Monicelt Updated Oct 14, 2008

Very disappointing! I ordered the 'fresh' seafood platter and got a basic and not very tempting selection of salad ie., lettuce, coleslaw, pasta and mainly salmon salad. No oyster, tho the unfriendly waiter said there would be. 3/4 tiny mussels, a scoop of indescribable seafood salad (could have been crab meat), mash poatoes (what for???) expensive, tasteless and My daughter opted for the Shepard's Pie and reckoned she could make it better herself at home. Loads of mash on top of watery slop of meat and gravy(?), overcooked veg. The service was terrible, our waiter did not have sufficient information regarding my meal, nor a good command of English and he insisted we pay IN FULL when he brought the food, so instead of tucking into my meal, I had to get up and follow him to the till so I could pay with a laser card. It was the last I saw of our server...will never try this restaurant again!

• kathycollins's Profile Photo

This isn't really a...

by kathycollins Written Sep 12, 2002

This isn't really a restaurant, but the nicest place to dine is at Cregg Castle B&B. When you book this B&B ask to book for dinner, also...its WONDERFUL!

Instant Answers: Galway