Places to eat in Galway

Most Viewed Restaurants in Galway

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Pierre's: French Fare

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 4, 2011

We had an excellent meal at Pierre's which is quite a nice French restaurant on Quay Street Galway, city centre. I wish I could remember what I had, but it has been several months since I was there. I only remember that we were surprised at how good the food was.

Hours: Mon-Sat 6pm-10.30pm Sun 6pm - 10pm

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• DrexelDragon's Profile Photo

O'Flaherty's: Below the Great Southern Galway Hotel

by DrexelDragon Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comfortable place. Food was good and not outrageously priced. Wasn't very crowded, so I had a good view of the big screen TV for the Celtic vs. Rangers match. More people came in as I was leaving around 3:30pm.

• Study Abroad

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo

The Front Door: Great food in a cosy local

by slothtraveller Updated Aug 28, 2010

By day, the Front Door has a cosy feel. It is a welcoming place with attentive staff and a relaxed vibe. The menu was quintessentially homely Irish fare with a lot of choice. The pub's situation in the city centre make it an ideal port of call for a quick tasty meal.

Favorite Dish: The steak I had on one occasion was excellent, served with colcannon and vegetables. The hot chocolate is good too. You get a free Kit-Kat biscuit! (at least you did when I was there!). There are also lots of alcoholic drinks to chose from although I stuck to Irish cider most of the time.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Mc Donagh's Seafood House: Choice of Restaurant or Fish & Chips Bar

by BillNJ Updated Dec 16, 2009

On my first night in Dublin, I decided to eat at Mc Donough's -- which is a local, family-owned seafood restaurant located in the Quay Street pedestrian zone. The outside sign says that it was established in 1902 -- so you know they are doing something right.

At Mc Donough's you need to make a choice -- either the restaurant with servers or the informal fish & chips bar where you order at the counter. Since I had fish & chips a few previous times on my trip, I decided to try a unique dish from the restaurant.

I arrived in time to take advantage of the early bird, fixed price dinner menu for 19.95 Euros. For this price, you have your choice of starter, your choice of main course, a glass of house wine, and coffee or tea. My choice for the starter was Mc Donagh's Fish Soup which was served with Irish brown bread. It's a creamy soup with vegetables and big chunks of fish. My choice for the main course was Mc Donagh's Cold Seafood Platter which consists of Oak Smoked Salmon, Mussels, Fresh Salmon, Cod Salad, Coleslaw and Maire Rose Sauce. Everything was fresh and quite tasty.

Being near the Atlantic Ocean, Galway is famous for its seafood. And, Mc Donagh's is probably the most famous seafood restaurant in Galway. Therefore, for fresh and tasty seafood, Mc Donagh's is a great choice!

Favorite Dish: I had Mc Donagh's Cold Seafood Platter. I wish I could have everything on the menu!

Tulsi: A lunchtime ruby murray

by sourbugger Written Aug 21, 2009

I normally have a very low opinion of Indian restaurants in Ireland. lack of competition (as in few other Indian restaurants not restaurants per se) leads to overpricing and bland formulaic menus.

I am therefore happy to report that the lunchtime 'Deal' we recently had here was a real winner. At 7.95 for a main dish (with rice and a veg dish) with popadums for starters and tea / coffee thrown in as well this represents excellent value for money around these parts.
    You don't get a choice of meal, so ask first to see if it is something you fancy. I had a rather excellent Lamb Rogan josh, somewhat under-spiced for my taste but well cooked nonetheless. Another four euro would get you the 'business menu' with a choice of dishes (3) and a dessert. Evening prices are quite a bit more.

Decor is very standard, service was efficient.

Anton's Cafe: a little bit of Bohemia

by sourbugger Written Nov 25, 2008

I only came across this wonderful little cafe recently, mainly because it is situated on Father Griffin Road - the road between Galway town centre and Salthill. It attracts a mainly studenty crowd, but with a smattering of business types who appreciate the quality of his snacks and salad - all fresh and prepared on the premises. The decor could be best described as 'bohemian' with wooden floors and 'stressed' furniture to match. Worth the five minute walk past Jury's inn for a decent cup of coffee.

As footnote, you might like to know that father Griffin was in fact a very junior curate in 1920. He died i mysterious circumstances. First he disappeared with three unknown men. This made headlines by itself, but his body was discovered in an irish bof some five days later. I don't think anyone was ever brought to justice.

Favorite Dish: the salad, oh, the salads.

Goya Cafe: Pile on those pounds

by sourbugger Written Apr 29, 2008

It would be difficult to get a better location in Galway for this bright and modern cafe. Called 'Goyas', it provides a range of pasteries and cakes which you can take away or enjoy in the cafe. The cafe itself is brightly painted, to the extent that I felt I was eating on the inside of a hat box.

The display of specialist wedding cakes in the shop window entices you in - and my advice is to take the bait.

It's a couple of weeks since I was there, and I remember at the time that the notation on the toilet doors amused me, but I just can't now recall what tickled my fancy.

Either way, I'm only guessing here, but i doubt that the painting of Goya's that I have selected for the image here (saturn eating his children) was the inspiration for this great little cafe !

Favorite Dish: Cake, oh the cake, let them eat cake !

• iaint's Profile Photo

Olive Tree Bistro: Decent lunch

by iaint Written Apr 7, 2008

Checked into our hotel at lunchtime, and after a 3 hour trip from Dublin, decided on a hotel coffee shop lunch before sightseeing.

It was fine - nothing fancy, but then neither was the hotel!

Service was quick and friendly.

€34 for 2 - main course & coffee.

Favorite Dish: Club sandwich - just the way you'd expect it to be!

• Business Travel

• iaint's Profile Photo

White Gables: Highly recommended

by iaint Updated Apr 7, 2008

This place was recommended by a friend (and Galwegian exile) as the best place in town. It was excellent.

Its in a small village 11km north of town, so you need to have a car. Having said that, the place doesn’t seem to have any parking!

Beautifully decorated, staff friendly but professional. Its not a huge menu, but there is probably something for everyone. I had a goats cheese salad, then scallops mornay and a crème caramel for desert. My buddy had grilled cod which looked superb, but I was so busy stuffing my face to remember to taste it!

€105 for 2 (including 2 glasses of house white)

Now I can recommend the place!

Favorite Dish: Scallops!

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Riva at the g: Best Lobster in Years

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Oct 28, 2007

Riva is the name given to the upmarket but very fun restaurant at the amazing "g" hotel. They call it an Italian restaurant, but to me the menu was much more eclectic and so I have classed it as such.

I waited over half an hour for my table, and this was an annoying start. However, as my waiting place was the harem-coloured cocktail lounge of the hotel, and as I was sipping one of my absolute favourite blueberry martinis, this softened the wait for me.

When I was eventually led to my table I was pleased to note that tables are well spaced. I would prefer to have been by a wall or a window, but I imagine that those tables are coveted. As with all of this hotel, the decor was striking. The colours of the cocktail lounge are brought through to this dining rooom. Generously sized banquettes are used with vividly coloured chairs to seat larger parties.

Service is very pleasant, although again is slow. I was seated at 9.35pm for a 9pm sitting and didn't finish my meal until almost midnight, even though I was dining alone. You would not want to be in a hurry.

Favorite Dish: I started with the foie gras, for which I have an absolute passion. I was gutted - it was presented well done. Everyone knows that foie gras should be like caramel on the outside and liquid inside. I was hungry, so I ate. It reminded me of the liver my Mum used to cook for us as one of her thrifty dinners when we were kids. When the waiter cleared my plate I told him of my disappointment. I usually keep my mouth shut, but overcooking foie gras is an insult to cooking. He looked at me strangely and apologised, saying that most of their customers ask for it well done. I had never heard of this before. Maybe it's a Galway thing..........

My main course was better - in fact I might have thought it was from a different kitchen! It was the most superb grilled lobster; a HUGE lobster, buttery to the taste and served with completely divine baby new potatoes which were drenched in butter. A crisp side salad accompanied this dish.

My dessert was also wonderful - pumpkin creme brulee (as it was Halloween week) with a cinnamon apple sorbet. Absolutely divine!

I enjoyed a 2002 Tokay Pinot Gris with my meal. It was perfect, although initially not chilled properly. I also had to ask the wine waiter to top it up between courses as they kept the bottle out of sight and out of reach and he was quite elusive.

Yes, in spite of my little cpmplaining I would certainly return.

• Wine Tasting

• Clodagh's Profile Photo

Pierre's Restaurant: Great food and service.

by Clodagh Written Aug 13, 2007

This is a great restaurant with very helpful and pleasant staff and fantastic food too. They do a very resonable early bird menu with 2 courses for €20. We ate from the main menu and paid € 45 each for three courses with wine and tip inclu, very reasonable.
    Despite it's kinda cheesy French name the menu seems wider, with a great variety to choose from.

Favorite Dish: I had pork belly salad, lamb main course and apple pie dessert. All of it was lovely.

• Business Travel

• zone_de_guerre's Profile Photo

La Salsa

by zone_de_guerre Written Jul 23, 2007

OOOohhh I want this food now! Chicken burritos and salsa chips are the bee's knees, to die for ! Very reasonable and I guarantee you will leave here stuffed. A wide range of Mexican foods as well as Chip shop food to suit anyone and everyone !

Favorite Dish: Chicken Burrito!

• tarponjohn2002's Profile Photo

Ristorante Da Roberta: Great Italian Food

by tarponjohn2002 Written Feb 17, 2007

Candle lit and small, cosy and lovely. U can order tke aways as well as have seriously posh dinner with great wines and friendly service. / Best to make booking as very popular

Favorite Dish: salads and chicken with spicy cajun sauce on side

• WhispersWest's Profile Photo

McDonagh's: Best Fish & Chips in All of Ireland

by WhispersWest Written Nov 24, 2006

McDonagh's, at the bottom of Quay Street, is the best place to go in Galway for fish and chips. These are so good here that they are elevated beyond their fast food status. McDonagh's also offers oysters and other shellfish in the adjoining restaurant.

I have made it a point to make this my first stop whenever possible after landing in Shannon. Bring a hearty appetite when you order,as the portions are not small. I have sent dozens of people to Galway specifiaclly to eat at McDonagh's. I have yet to have a complaint from any of them afterwards.

If you aren't much on fish, their southern fried chicken is fabulous. I know it sounds strange but I have had some of the best "southern fried" chicken whilst traveling in Ireland.

Its always crowded but get there around two and you should be able to get a table and bench out front. That is always fun to eat your lunch and people watch.

Favorite Dish: Cod & Chips, the batter isn't too heavy nor too greasy and the chip are done to just the right crispness

• EllenH's Profile Photo

Richardson's pub: Pub grub

by EllenH Written Feb 18, 2006

This is a very special place. The people there were so nice, the food was excellent, the atmosphere is very relaxed and the guinness were cheaper there then anywhere else!

Favorite Dish: We had Irish stew made with beef and guinness, and a cajun chicken salad that was out of this world delicious. (lettuce, cabbage, carrots, pinenuts, chicken, fried potatoes, sundried tomatoes, peppers,and fantastic dressing. I would go back to Galway just to eat this salad again.)

Galway Hotels

St. Martin's Bed and Breakfast
Latest: Jan 20, 2014
Harbour Hotel

Instant Answers: Galway

Comments

Galway Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Galway locals.
Map of Galway