Places to eat in Galway

Most Viewed Restaurants in Galway

• EllenH's Profile Photo

Richardson's pub: Pub grub

by EllenH Written Feb 18, 2006

This is a very special place. The people there were so nice, the food was excellent, the atmosphere is very relaxed and the guinness were cheaper there then anywhere else!

Favorite Dish: We had Irish stew made with beef and guinness, and a cajun chicken salad that was out of this world delicious. (lettuce, cabbage, carrots, pinenuts, chicken, fried potatoes, sundried tomatoes, peppers,and fantastic dressing. I would go back to Galway just to eat this salad again.)

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Mc Donagh's Seafood House: Choice of Restaurant or Fish & Chips Bar

by BillNJ Updated Dec 16, 2009

On my first night in Dublin, I decided to eat at Mc Donough's -- which is a local, family-owned seafood restaurant located in the Quay Street pedestrian zone. The outside sign says that it was established in 1902 -- so you know they are doing something right.

At Mc Donough's you need to make a choice -- either the restaurant with servers or the informal fish & chips bar where you order at the counter. Since I had fish & chips a few previous times on my trip, I decided to try a unique dish from the restaurant.

I arrived in time to take advantage of the early bird, fixed price dinner menu for 19.95 Euros. For this price, you have your choice of starter, your choice of main course, a glass of house wine, and coffee or tea. My choice for the starter was Mc Donagh's Fish Soup which was served with Irish brown bread. It's a creamy soup with vegetables and big chunks of fish. My choice for the main course was Mc Donagh's Cold Seafood Platter which consists of Oak Smoked Salmon, Mussels, Fresh Salmon, Cod Salad, Coleslaw and Maire Rose Sauce. Everything was fresh and quite tasty.

Being near the Atlantic Ocean, Galway is famous for its seafood. And, Mc Donagh's is probably the most famous seafood restaurant in Galway. Therefore, for fresh and tasty seafood, Mc Donagh's is a great choice!

Favorite Dish: I had Mc Donagh's Cold Seafood Platter. I wish I could have everything on the menu!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Couch Potatas: The staple diet of Ireland is what ?

by sourbugger Updated Jun 2, 2003

A fairly terrible pun for a name, but this place is great.

As the name suggests it serves mainly filled jacket potatoes, but it also does soups and salads etc.

It has about 30 seats so it often has a crowded atmosphere. Most patrons are young working people or students.

The atmosphere is relaxed within the blue walls and pine tables and the service friendly.

An ideal choice for a lunchtime fill-up, and no need to book.

Favorite Dish: Some of the spicer concoctions are excellent.

Java's: Coffee & great sarni's

by sourbugger Updated Jun 13, 2003

Java's is a small chain of coffeshops in Ireland - they are laid back and friendly.

I especially like them late at night when you feel like a break from squashed bars and nightclubs.

In Galway Java's can be seen as "gay friendly", but it's not relevant and dosn't have that sort of feel to it.

Favorite Dish: The Coffee in uniformly good, but my favourite delight it the "Javanormous" sandwich. It's packed with about anything that comes out of the kitchen and certainly takes some eating !

• racheljapi's Profile Photo

Grocery stores: Get beans at the store

by racheljapi Written Dec 12, 2004

I was so poor once I hit Galway that I had to pray when I went to the ATM. I had to cut back spending and it ended up being food money! What did I survive on (other then the free toast and coffee for Breakfast at the hostel)? I had baked beans on toast. Yes, sounds weird and not too tasty but it eased the pain of my belly and gave me money to see yet another thing in the wonderful world of Galway.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

The River Goddess: The Goddess Rules!

by Krumlovgirl Updated Jun 6, 2004

We first decided to try this place because of the advertisement out front. They had a "tourist menu" for 20 euros that included a soup, entree, dessert, and beverage and we were in the mood to splurge. Oh, but it was great. And the atmosphere was terrific. Very other-worldly.

Favorite Dish: I had a penne in cream sauce, garnished with fresh mussels. My friend had the chicken dish and both of us had a creamy, dill tomatoe soup. Everything was wonderful.

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo

The Front Door: Great food in a cosy local

by slothtraveller Updated Aug 28, 2010

By day, the Front Door has a cosy feel. It is a welcoming place with attentive staff and a relaxed vibe. The menu was quintessentially homely Irish fare with a lot of choice. The pub's situation in the city centre make it an ideal port of call for a quick tasty meal.

Favorite Dish: The steak I had on one occasion was excellent, served with colcannon and vegetables. The hot chocolate is good too. You get a free Kit-Kat biscuit! (at least you did when I was there!). There are also lots of alcoholic drinks to chose from although I stuck to Irish cider most of the time.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Riva at the g: Best Lobster in Years

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Oct 28, 2007

Riva is the name given to the upmarket but very fun restaurant at the amazing "g" hotel. They call it an Italian restaurant, but to me the menu was much more eclectic and so I have classed it as such.

I waited over half an hour for my table, and this was an annoying start. However, as my waiting place was the harem-coloured cocktail lounge of the hotel, and as I was sipping one of my absolute favourite blueberry martinis, this softened the wait for me.

When I was eventually led to my table I was pleased to note that tables are well spaced. I would prefer to have been by a wall or a window, but I imagine that those tables are coveted. As with all of this hotel, the decor was striking. The colours of the cocktail lounge are brought through to this dining rooom. Generously sized banquettes are used with vividly coloured chairs to seat larger parties.

Service is very pleasant, although again is slow. I was seated at 9.35pm for a 9pm sitting and didn't finish my meal until almost midnight, even though I was dining alone. You would not want to be in a hurry.

Favorite Dish: I started with the foie gras, for which I have an absolute passion. I was gutted - it was presented well done. Everyone knows that foie gras should be like caramel on the outside and liquid inside. I was hungry, so I ate. It reminded me of the liver my Mum used to cook for us as one of her thrifty dinners when we were kids. When the waiter cleared my plate I told him of my disappointment. I usually keep my mouth shut, but overcooking foie gras is an insult to cooking. He looked at me strangely and apologised, saying that most of their customers ask for it well done. I had never heard of this before. Maybe it's a Galway thing..........

My main course was better - in fact I might have thought it was from a different kitchen! It was the most superb grilled lobster; a HUGE lobster, buttery to the taste and served with completely divine baby new potatoes which were drenched in butter. A crisp side salad accompanied this dish.

My dessert was also wonderful - pumpkin creme brulee (as it was Halloween week) with a cinnamon apple sorbet. Absolutely divine!

I enjoyed a 2002 Tokay Pinot Gris with my meal. It was perfect, although initially not chilled properly. I also had to ask the wine waiter to top it up between courses as they kept the bottle out of sight and out of reach and he was quite elusive.

Yes, in spite of my little cpmplaining I would certainly return.

• Wine Tasting

Goya Cafe: Pile on those pounds

by sourbugger Written Apr 29, 2008

It would be difficult to get a better location in Galway for this bright and modern cafe. Called 'Goyas', it provides a range of pasteries and cakes which you can take away or enjoy in the cafe. The cafe itself is brightly painted, to the extent that I felt I was eating on the inside of a hat box.

The display of specialist wedding cakes in the shop window entices you in - and my advice is to take the bait.

It's a couple of weeks since I was there, and I remember at the time that the notation on the toilet doors amused me, but I just can't now recall what tickled my fancy.

Either way, I'm only guessing here, but i doubt that the painting of Goya's that I have selected for the image here (saturn eating his children) was the inspiration for this great little cafe !

Favorite Dish: Cake, oh the cake, let them eat cake !

• leics's Profile Photo

Buon Appetito(!): Open on Sunday mornings...............

by leics Written Feb 17, 2006

Full of people at 11.30am on Sunday, very buzzy, friendly and efficient staff. 'Irish' breakfast well-cooked and reasonably-priced, good tea. Lots of other food on menu, including Irish stew & mash. Can sit outside if you're a smoker.

• WhispersWest's Profile Photo

McDonagh's: Best Fish & Chips in All of Ireland

by WhispersWest Written Nov 24, 2006

McDonagh's, at the bottom of Quay Street, is the best place to go in Galway for fish and chips. These are so good here that they are elevated beyond their fast food status. McDonagh's also offers oysters and other shellfish in the adjoining restaurant.

I have made it a point to make this my first stop whenever possible after landing in Shannon. Bring a hearty appetite when you order,as the portions are not small. I have sent dozens of people to Galway specifiaclly to eat at McDonagh's. I have yet to have a complaint from any of them afterwards.

If you aren't much on fish, their southern fried chicken is fabulous. I know it sounds strange but I have had some of the best "southern fried" chicken whilst traveling in Ireland.

Its always crowded but get there around two and you should be able to get a table and bench out front. That is always fun to eat your lunch and people watch.

Favorite Dish: Cod & Chips, the batter isn't too heavy nor too greasy and the chip are done to just the right crispness

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Pierre's: French Fare

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 4, 2011

We had an excellent meal at Pierre's which is quite a nice French restaurant on Quay Street Galway, city centre. I wish I could remember what I had, but it has been several months since I was there. I only remember that we were surprised at how good the food was.

Hours: Mon-Sat 6pm-10.30pm Sun 6pm - 10pm

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

Anton's Cafe: a little bit of Bohemia

by sourbugger Written Nov 25, 2008

I only came across this wonderful little cafe recently, mainly because it is situated on Father Griffin Road - the road between Galway town centre and Salthill. It attracts a mainly studenty crowd, but with a smattering of business types who appreciate the quality of his snacks and salad - all fresh and prepared on the premises. The decor could be best described as 'bohemian' with wooden floors and 'stressed' furniture to match. Worth the five minute walk past Jury's inn for a decent cup of coffee.

As footnote, you might like to know that father Griffin was in fact a very junior curate in 1920. He died i mysterious circumstances. First he disappeared with three unknown men. This made headlines by itself, but his body was discovered in an irish bof some five days later. I don't think anyone was ever brought to justice.

Favorite Dish: the salad, oh, the salads.

• frankie_ireland's Profile Photo

eating out corribside

by frankie_ireland Written Sep 2, 2005

for up market go down quay st and the lanes off it....yum. for inexpensive food yet nice try mc donaghs a famous chipper also on quay st. also on dominick st and another on shop st try La salsa, a little ching ching for a student but delic.

Favorite Dish: it's all good if you can afford it!!!!

• aah_stone's Profile Photo

Trattoria Pasta Mista: Italian Food

by aah_stone Written Jan 5, 2005

This is a small restaurant on one of the main streets of Galway. We initially attempted to eat here on New Year's Eve 2004! A mistake not to have booked as we couldn't get in. So on New Year's day 2005 we came back and I am glad we did.

It is quite crowded with tables and chairs when you get in but it all leads to a great cosy atmosphere.

The staff were all very freindly and helpful. Especially since they were experiencing power cuts in the kitchen and bar areas. But it didn't spoi our meal.

Well worth eating here.

Favorite Dish: Any pizza!! The 3 we had here were all excellent!

They are just to yummy for words.

Galway Hotels

St. Martin's Bed and Breakfast
Latest: Jan 20, 2014
Harbour Hotel

Instant Answers: Galway

Comments

Galway Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Galway locals.
Map of Galway