Roundstone Restaurants

O'Dowd's pub...outside
    Prawns and grilled oysters

Most Recent Restaurants in Roundstone

• papito1981's Profile Photo

O'dowds Seafood Bar & Restaurant: Good place in Roundstone to have seafood!

by papito1981 Written Sep 1, 2011

O'Dowd's pub...inside

Close to the fireplace, having seafood and a good Guinness...a really beutiful place where to stop in Connemara. From the front tables it's possible to see the bay.

Better, if possible, to eat in the pub, even though there's less choice (in any case, for the restaurant in summer is better to call before for a reservation).

Odowds is the winners of Sunday Independent Gastropub of the year award 2011 for Galway & Connacht.

Favorite Dish: Grilled oysters are fantastic!

Beola: Wonderful Food!

by cpiers47 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A Beautiful Meal!

After a long day of driving Connemara, we ended up here on the recommendation of our hostess at the Errisbeg Lodge B&B. We were seated just at 7 as the restaurant opened and spent the next two hours in culinary euphoria.
    I ordered what I thought to be a simple combo - soup and salad. I had excellent seafood chowder (Americans would consider it more of a fish soup. . .either way it was amazing) and a huge, beautiful salad of mixed greens, fruit and balsamic. My friend ordered trout, the evening's special. From the moment that Lorraine, the delightful co-manager of the restaurant and hotel, set down poppyseed and fennel butters made by hand, we were in heaven. The food and wine were fantastic and Lorraine's friendly personality made us feel right at home. Despite the fact that we weren't staying at their hotel, Lorraine sent us off for our evening walk with a flashlight.

Favorite Dish: How to choose? I loved the special of the evening - trout. But, everything we tried was excellent. You MUST try the Brown Bread Ice Cream (made from Irish soda bread); it was fantastic.

This is the sort of place that makes you forget that Ireland is not known for its culinary exploits.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Eldon's Hotel and Restaurant: Great Restaurant, also for Lunch Sandwiches

by RhineRoll Updated Apr 4, 2011

We had lunch here and were served very well indeed.

Wheelchair access: possible, but you need an assistant as the ramp up to the hotel is dangerously steep. Disabled restroom, though quite a small one (problem: door opening to the inside). Definitely not suitable for folks in power wheelchairs.

• Disabilities

O' Dowd's Bar and Restaurant: Worth the Trip

by cpiers47 Written Sep 29, 2007

O'Dowd's

I've posted a tip about O'Dowd's under the nightlife section as well as it is one of the establishments open latest in Roundstone. We started in the bar with a pint among what I believe were equal numbers of tourists and locals. The restaurant is a series of small alcoves and rooms.

The host seated us after they were supposed to be closed and waited patiently as we enjoyed our food - they were extremely kind.

Favorite Dish: The cod with potatoes was amazing but the award must go to the steamed mussels we had as a starter. Fantasic!

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

The Shamrock Bar: Chowder!

by cpiers47 Written Sep 29, 2007

This bright, open bar was featured in "The Matchmaker" as the bar and hotel. We found a table in an alcove and enjoyed lunch.

Favorite Dish: I loved the seafood chowder on a rainy day - it was the best I had in Roundstone although I must admit that I didn't get to try the choweder at O'Dowd's.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

O'Dowds: The Absolute Best Seafood Chowder

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Aug 9, 2006

This is a cozy little restaurant and bar on the main street as you pass through Roundstone. There is a fireplace that you can sit before and you will need it if you go there in the winter like I did.

As far as the price category is concerned, I can only go by the chowder. I did not look at anything else on the menu for prices.

Favorite Dish: Seafood chowder.

When I tell friends that I had the best seafood chowder ever at O'Dowds, they always ask if it compares to Boston chowder. I don't really know, because I have only had it out of the can. All I can say is that I have been desperately searching for the recipe on the internet and without any success. If anyone has this recipe, I would appreciate it if they would email it to me.

UPDATE ON THE SEAFOOD CHOWDER 8/8/06
    Just spent a month in Boston and had enough chowder to put on a few pounds. I now consider myself a chowder maven. The best that I had was at Land Ho in Oreleans on Cape Cod. Bruni's Market in Ipswich on the way to Crane Beach was second best. Now I will have to go back to O'Dowds to make a final comparison.

• Fishing

• O'Dowds: A nice seafood - centric restaurant

by myrjola Written Feb 26, 2006

I suppose O'Dowds was the most pleasant restaurant we visited in Roundstone. It focuses somewhat on the seafood, but is not limited to them. The atmosphere and general feeling of the restaurant is quite relaxed; not quite pub-like, but nicely informal nonetheless. Service was pretty good; no long times of waiting, quality of food was good and in general, there was nothing to complain about.

Instant Answers: Roundstone

Comments

Roundstone Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Roundstone restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Roundstone sightseeing.