Skellig Michael, Great Skelligs

Know about this? Rate It!

My friend!
    Saving Private Schrader
    The steps
  • PeteNL's Profile Photo

Go there - not just virtually!

by PeteNL Updated Aug 4, 2003

Favorite thing: The information centre is ok, but it's nothing like the real thing. And the boat from the centre only takes you around (at best!), without landing...

You can find boats that take you to the island in several nearby towns - Portmagee, Ballinskelligs, and Caherdaniel. See the transportation tip for some more details.

The Ballinskelligs one also made special diving trips - the seafloor near Skelligs must be just as rugged as the islands! And the ocean water is remarkably clear, and full of "life"!

Fondest memory: ....more to come soon!

• Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Hiking and Walking

• A funny outfit and a funny memory

by sabsi Updated Apr 9, 2003

Saving Private Schrader

Fondest memory: In the morning we sat down in our little boat and waited for it to leave. The boat next to us was full of tourists wearing Army uniforms... we take the p*ss and lots of pictures coz they look sooo funny. A bit like D-day...

When we went back to the boats to get back to the mainland we sat down in our little boat again. Our captain suddenly is handing out army uniforms just like the ones we took the p*ss of this morning because of the expected seaspray. Aaargh, they didn't belong to the tourists but to the boats.

Hmmm I guess now we are the ones who look silly - the people from the other boat are now taking the p*ss out of us!

• Adventure Travel

• History of Skellig Michael

by sabsi Updated Apr 9, 2003

The steps

Favorite thing: In AD 600 monks formed a monastic settlement on one of the island's peaks. It is well preserved and still intact so it's one of the most important early christian monuments in Ireland if not the world.

They decided to make the way up to the monastery easier and built several "staircases" - one of the is the "tourist way" up the island. The steps are made of stone (well what else?) and it's amazing to walk up there and thinking about how those monks used to walk up the same steps more than 1400 years ago. Magic

• Archeology

• A trip to another world

by sabsi Written Mar 19, 2003

My friend!

Favorite thing: Skelligs consist of two 'unreal' islands - Skellig Michael (Sceilg Mhicíl) and Little Skellig (Sceilg Bheag) . Latter one is populated by more than 20000 gannets - the white colour of the rock looks like a different kind of stone from the distance, when you look closer it's all white birds and what they left behind!!! Skellig Michael is the island you can go to for a day trip. It's a paradise full of birds, breathtaking views and history...

It's so unbelieveable and such a great experience to go there - I'm running out of superlatives...

Fondest memory: Sharing a biscuit with a little puffin. I will never forget that picnic :)

The adventure of getting there and getting back.

Actually I have so many funny memories. I have them all written down in a travelogue on my Co. Kerry page but I will transfer bits from there to here definitely!

• Birdwatching
    • Archeology

Instant Answers: Great Skelligs

Comments

View all Great Skelligs hotels