Puffins, Great Skelligs

This is as good as it gets :)
    by sabsi
    Puffin Runway
    by sabsi
  • Puffins

by sabsi Updated Apr 9, 2003

This is as good as it gets :)

My favourite part of the trip to Skellig Michael was the puffins that were all over the island! I always liked these cute little birds but had never seen one in real life before.

On the boat to get to Skellig Rock I saw my first Puffins flying around. And I was happy already as I thought that's as good as it gets.

I was wrong. Luckily. As soon as we climbed Skellig Michael there were a few Puffins next to the path. And again I thought that was as good as it gets.

The higher we got the more Puffins there were. And they got closer and closer. In the end I shared a biscuit with one of them. They were so cute! And so clumsy. Wonderful!

However, the puffins are only there a few weeks in summer. They spend a lot of time in the south and we were really lucky to have seen them when we were there in July!!

• Birdwatching

• Clumsy Puffins

by sabsi Written Apr 9, 2003

Puffin Runway

I tried a few times to take a picture of a landing puffin. They are definitely more talented in diving than in walking and almost certain in flying. When they fly they look like one of those old silent movies which are shown in a too high speed, when they land they look even more clumsy... I loved to watch them!! And I guess I was really lucky to finally succeed and take a picture like this!

• Birdwatching

Instant Answers: Great Skelligs

Comments

Other Things to Do in Great Skelligs

View all Great Skelligs hotels