Know about this? Rate It!
A secluded waterfall and ancient monastery
Off the beaten path
Take a fishing boat from Ross castle and row to Inisfallen island to see the ancient ruins of a monastery & on to O'Sullivans cascade. The monastery was built in the 6th century. If you are feeling fit, row on to the next Island beyond Inisfallen and over to the lake shore under the mountain to O'Sullivans cascade. The waterfall can also be reached by land by going to Fossa, taking a left as you leave the village and a further left about 3 km down the road. You'll have to do some trekking to get there, about a 2 Km walk.
- Hiking and Walking
If you look across the lake with Ross castle to your back you can seen Inisfalen island. Take a boat trip from the Castle to the Island. There are ruins of a 6th century monastery there. It's usually quiet, at most 50 people on the island at any given time. There are about 5 buildings to be seen there. It's also a really nice place to relax in the sun.
- National/State Park
- Historical Travel
- Sailing and Boating
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Killarney Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Bloemfontein Hotels
- Johannesburg Hotels
- Wawayanda State Park Hotels
- Panama City Beach
- Shengjin Hotels
- Port Jefferson
- Copenhagen Off The Beaten Path
- Santa Barbara Off The Beaten Path
- Sri Lanka Off The Beaten Path
- Palm Coast.
- Oregon Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Off The Beaten Path
- Sevilla Off The Beaten Path
- Beijing Off The Beaten Path
- Townsville Off The Beaten Path
- Canberra Off The Beaten Path
- Saint Augustine Off The Beaten Path