Gaby's, Killarney

High St.

Shellfish platter - a glimpse
  • Gaby's
    by SabrinaSummerville
    That duo of mussels and crab
  • SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Gaby's: A Rival for the Seafood Crown

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Jul 6, 2008

Shellfish platter - a glimpse

As an adult my fleeting trips through Killarney were all business related, with meals confined to whatever hotel was chosen for the conference or meeting.

Last year and this year I got to choose my restaurants, and I am so happy to be introduced to such a delight of food.

Gaby's comes highly recommended, and when you are inside and see the wealth of awards displayed throughout the premises then you will begin to understand why. The food is the proof.

The decor is upmarket country kitchen type with plenty of stone walls and fireplaces, copper pans hanging from the walls, etc.

Service is both pleasant and prompt - though they will let you linger for hours if that's what you want.

Favorite Dish: I started with the duo of mussels and crab claws - served in a twin platter with the first "nest" filled with mussels in basil cream sauce and the other filled with crab claws in garlic butter.

After that I could not resist the shellfish platter. I saw a neighbour at the next table indulge and so I just had to have one. The centrepiece was a lobster, halved, and presented with a half dozen oysters, a dozen crab claws, a dozen mussels, a pair of giant langoustines, a pair of giant crab claws, assorted salads.....I don't recall the rest. My eyes were way too big for my tummy. It would be hard for any one person to devour this platter.

Dessert was served at reception, at our request. I devoured a perfect pavlova.

As I dined, one of the head waiters introduced my sisters children to Larry the Lobster - there wasn't a sound out of them for the duration of the meal.

Oh yes, I'll be back.

• Wine Tasting

• Gaby's: Gaby's

by sausdude Updated Nov 30, 2004

I ate at almost all of the nice spots in Killarney over 4 nights and Gaby's was the best food and ambience. Top notch meal in a cool old country house feeling builing.

Favorite Dish: Had 6 great local oysters on the half shell followed by a very nicely presented Tourbot.
    Best wine list in the town.

Instant Answers: Killarney

Comments

Hotels Near Gaby's
5.0 out of 5 stars