Tarbert Travel Guide

First view from the other shore
    Approaching
    by grandmaR
    From the side, showing the bridge

Tarbert Restaurants

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Jan 12, 2012

The bus tour stopped here to for us to get lunch.

We ate in the John Paul Jones bar which had seating in excess of one hundred people. Which was good because I think there were two coach-loads there.

Like many of the lunch stops, it was set up like a cafeteria, but in this case, you ordered and paid and then went and sat down, and they brought you your food. The servers were a bit cranky with the children and my grandson, even though he was perfectly polite to them.

Afterwards we went out to the bus to continue our journey. I took some pictures while I waited.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember exactly what we ate. I see photos of soup and I think my grandson had fries

counter Seafood chowder (or cream soup of the day) menu Children's chicken nuggets and Dessert selection from ��3.95
    • Eco-Tourism

Tarbert Favorites

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Aug 30, 2011

Favorite thing: We saw this lighthouse from many angles when we took the ferry across the Shannon Estuary. It is on the south (County Kerry) side of the estuary just north of Tarbert. Built in 1834, the Tarbert Light is an active lighthouse. There is a cast iron bridge, built about 1840, connects the tower to shore, which we saw when we passed it. The lighthouse is a round limestone tower with lantern and gallery, painted white, with a white light. A red light shows to the west over Bowline Rock. The keepers house has apparently been demolished. It was formally transferred to the Limerick Harbour Commissioners in 1981, but CIL has a buoy depot nearby so it is convenient for the same attendant to manage both facilities.

Fondest memory: Taking pictures of the lighthouse from the ferry

First view from the other shore Approaching From the side, showing the bridge From the front with the smokestakes back of it Another view of the bridge from the side
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Architecture
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Tarbert

Comments

Tarbert Travel Guide
Map of Tarbert