Ring of Kerry, County Kerry

Somewhere west of Glenbeigh
    by evaanna
  • rcsparty's Profile Photo

by rcsparty Updated Feb 16, 2008

We really enjoyed our drive around the Ring, although I can't imagine doing it during a busy tourist season. We were able to stop and see most things, without having to fight through big crowds. We probably enjoyed the swing through Killarney Park the best, although that was probably the heaviest rains. Don't try and pack too much into the day you drive the ring, as it is nice to be able to take your time as your drive.

Given a choice between the two, I would definately recommend hitting the Dingle Peninsula over the Ring of Kerry, even ignoring the tour bus factor.

Waterville

by evaanna Updated Nov 16, 2007

Statue of Charlie Chaplin

We got off here only to see the statue of Charlie Chaplin, who would visit the place regularly with his family, staying at the Butler Arms Hotel. Of course everybody wanted to have their picture taken with the famous actor so it lasted a long time before I could take this one. It's a life-size statue so they patted him on the back or embraced him but he didn't seem to mind.
    Waterville is an interesting place, being situated on a narrow isthmus with Lough Currane on the east side of the town and Ballingskelligs Bay on its west side, with the Currane River connecting them. So you have everything you may wish for here: the sea, the lake and the mountains. It is also the birthplace of my wonderful Irish friend Katherine (Ekaterinburg). I am surprised that there is no plaque on the house where she was born, or is there?
    More information about the statue in picture 2.

Cahersiveen - the birthplace of Daniel O'Connell

by evaanna Updated Sep 9, 2007

Monument to Daniel O'Connell

Our next short stop was near Cahersiveen where the Irish national hero Daniel O'Connell, was born in 1775. The house is a ruin but just across the river is a pleasant picnic site with the bust of the great 18th/19th century Irish political leader, who succeeded in his struggle for the right for Catholics to sit in the Parliament of Westminster, which won him the name of 'The Liberator' or 'The Emancipator'. O'Connell believed in peaceful means for gaining independence for Ireland. You can also visit Derrynane House, his former ancestral home and National Historic Park further south at Caherdaniel.
    The picnic area where the monument stands is lovely and, if you have time, you can take a walk along the river or sit on the bench and have your packed lunch. Hope you don't meet the lady with the dogs, one of which picked on a man from our group and chased him, barking angrily.

Kerry Bog Village

by evaanna Updated Sep 9, 2007

Kerry Bog Village

Kerry Bog Village Museum recreates the life of villagers of the area around Glenbeigh in the early 19th century. Actually, it's a real village inhabited in the past by people whose names are known, complete with their tools, furniture and other possessions, including a rocking cot and an old po. You can visit the turf cutter's house, the forge, the stable dwelling and dairy house, Denny's hen house, the labourer's cottage and the finest of them all - the thatcher's dwelling. Read the leaflet you will get on buying your ticket and you will learn a lot about their lives and the objects in their cottages.
    We only had twenty minutes for sightseeing there, not enough time to also have a cup of coffee at the Red Fox Inn just outside the village. On my way out, I managed to visit the village shop with some interesting souvenirs, well worth a look and not too expensive.

• Museum Visits
    • Theme Park Trips

On to Kenmare - the coast in the fog

by evaanna Updated Sep 8, 2007

From Waterville we went on to Kenmare, which was to be our last stop for the day before going back to Cork. We drove along the coast most of the time, admiring the spacious sandy beaches and the rocky cliffs partly obscured by mist. It didn't rain much any longer so we could take pictures again, not too good in this weather but better than nothing. And the sea air was pure bliss to breathe. On the way we passed Sneem, the town that has twice won the title of the tidiest town in Ireland. It was nice and colourful like many Irish towns and so was Kenmare, but here the batteries in my camera gave up and I was only able to take one picture - of the Celtic cross outside the church. Altogether, I must say I did enjoy the trip in spite of the weather. But if I ever find myself in that area again I would definitely prefer to 'do' the Ring of Kerry in a car and see the sights we had missed.

• Beaches

West of Glenbeigh

by evaanna Updated Sep 6, 2007

Somewhere west of Glenbeigh

It was already raining in Kerry Bog Village but then the weather got even worse. It got dark and the fog made the visibility very bad. We were driving along narrow winding mountain roads with cars going in the opposite direction squeezing to avoid the coach. The driver now had to concentrate on his job as the fog made his job really hard. We were told of the marvellous views we were passing but could see very little. At places the coast could be seen but no islands that the driver had spoken of. So I can only hope to see the marvellous views on the other VT-ers' pages, I will definitely look for them there.

Peatlands west of Killorglin

by evaanna Updated Sep 3, 2007

Young pony in Kerry Bog Village

On our way along the Ring of Kerry west of Killorglin we could see wide expanses of nearly natural peatlands, waterlogged areas where peat used to be exploited for fuel. Such areas are now rare in western Europe and treated as an endangered habitat, with their plants and animals now being protected. In the past the turf found near Glenbeigh was not only used for fuel by the local people but was also a good source of their income. In fact, the Kerry Bog Village described in my next tip was founded by a local man by the name of Jeremiah Mulvihill whose prosperity was based on cutting the high-quality turf there and selling it at Killorglin. To transport it, he used donkeys and ponies, which are still bred in the area and can be seen in the old village.
    As he needed someone to shoe his animals, a blacksmith joined him, then a few farmers to provide food for them and so the village grew....

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

The Ring Of Kerry

by kentishgirl Updated Oct 31, 2004

The Scenic coast

The Ring Of Kerry is a very popular tourist route, that many hike, drive or cycle round each year.

There are some really nice towns to stop in here, including Caherdaniel, Waterville and Sneem to name a few.

I personally much preffered the Dingle Peninsula, but the Ring Of Kerry on the Iveragh Peninsula offers much better facilities to tourists.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

by kentishgirl Updated Oct 31, 2004

At Ladies View

If you can bear much more stunning scenery, a must see I think is "Ladies View", located between Killarney and Kenmare, you can stop at the cafe and grab an Irish Coffee and gaze at this beautiful view.

Named Ladies View after Queen Victorias ladies in waiting !

• himalia11's Profile Photo

Iveragh Peninsula – Ring of Kerry

by himalia11 Updated Oct 6, 2004

Ring of Kerry

The Ring of Kerry is a much visited scenic route on the Iveragh Peninsula which goes along the coast. There are parkings along the road at some interesting places where you can enjoy the view on the coast with its rocks and beaches. There are several sights and places, I mostly liked the Cahergall Stonefort and Ballycarberry castle ruins near Cahersiveen. Also it’s worth driving the Skellig Ring (if time permits). See my other tips.

I’ve read contrary tips about in which direction you should drive the Ring of Kerry – some say that anticlockwise is better because then the landscape becomes more and more interesting, and others say that it’s better clockwise as then you don’t have to drive behind all those tourist busses who drive anticlockwise. Well, we drove clockwise and found this perfect. As we started in the morning, we didn’t meet any busses the first hours. The most interesting part of the road was behind Caherdaniel, we found the other parts nice, but not spectacular – could be perhaps because we already visited the Dingle and Beara peninsulas which are beautiful!

• himalia11's Profile Photo

by himalia11 Written Oct 5, 2004

Ladies View

This place offers you a beautiful view on the Killarney valley with its lakes and the mountains. The blue of the lakes is so blue, it’s hard to describe!
    Ladies View is on a mountainous road from Killarney to Moll’s Gap (which is a nice place, too!). Ladies View is easy to find, the signs to the Cafe and Shop are big enough! The parking is not too little, but I guess it gets full in the high season.

• Ash59's Profile Photo

The Ring of Kerry

by Ash59 Written Jul 16, 2003

Ring of Kerry un-named lake

Well, one day, we rose a bit early from our beds in our cottage in Ballyvaughan (as far north as you can get in County Clare, without entering into Galway!) and foolishly thought "well, lets go drive the Ring of Kerry".

Major driving mistake!

It could have been done, had we left a couple of hours earlier and forgo our breakfast but.....

From Ballyvaughan, drove down to Ennis along the back roads. Made fairly good time and then thought of the traffic jams that we had encountered in Limerick the previous day when we went to the Rock of Cashel. Sooo........

Decided to follow a sign to a car ferry that crossed the River Shannon at Killimer. The book said it would cut about 80 miles over our trip and about 1.5 hours worth of driving, which I suppose it did, apart from the fact that we just missed the hourly ferry and had to wait for the next one.

Lovely trip across the river and then on down to Killarney. 4 hour trip so far, had enough of driving so stopped for a while in Killarney for a bite to eat.

Now about 2 in the afternoon so think that we had better make a move. I knew the Ring took a time to drive because we had tried to do so a couple of years previous. never managed all then either........

Anyway, on with story. Start out and end up behind a coach.... a very slow coach. Let this be a warning to you. Coaces taking tourists up and along part of the Ring do take this road. We only came across one coach but that was enough.

So stopped at one of the many lay-by's and took a few pictures of the lake and surrounding mountains (see other photos)

You will have to read about this storey set against other pictures and VT have set a limit on characters of 2047 and my story is 2932 characters long!

• National/State Park

• Krumel's Profile Photo

Dingle

by Krumel Written Mar 7, 2003

Slea Head on the Dingle Peninsula

Dingle is one of my favourite spots in Ireland. I spent a week there in June 2001 and loved it! We were very lucky and had gorgeous weather for most of the week The drive along the coast with its beaches and rocky cliffs is one of the best I have seen in Ireland. On a fine day you should definitely go up the Slieve Mish Mountains via the Connor Pass (but see my warning on the main Kerry page!).

• Hiking and Walking

• Krumel's Profile Photo

The Ring of Kerry

by Krumel Written Mar 7, 2003

Derrynane Bay on the Ring of Kerry

The Ring of Kerry circles the Iveragh Peninsula with some stunning landscape along the way. You'll get the whole works from sandy beaches to rugged coastline, and if you get nice weather for it, it is absolutely brilliant.

The big, big drawback, however, is that in summer it is absolutely packed with tourists, busloads of them. No matter which way round the ring you choose, your car is either sandwiched between buses all the time or you constantly have to squeeze past the ones that you meet head-on.

• Deefstes's Profile Photo

by Deefstes Updated Feb 26, 2003

Waterville Cliffs on the Ring of Kerry

The very first thing I'd recommend about Kerry is the famous Ring of Kerry. Kerry has two big peninsula, the Iveragh peninsula being the biggest one of the two and the Dingle peninsula further north.

Around the Iveragh peninsula leads a route called the Ring of Kerry. This route offers breathtaking views, beautiful towns and a real feeling of being out in the Irish countryside.

You can typically stay in Killarney and use that as a base from which to explore the Ring of Kerry. I would recommend staying over somewhere on the Ring for at least one night. Nice places to stay over would be Caherciveen, Waterville, Portmagee or some such.

Instant Answers: County Kerry

Comments

Hotels Near Ring of Kerry
72 Opinions