Straffan Travel Guide

The hotel viewed from the gardens
    The beautiful formal gardens
    A very stylish bed

Straffan Things to Do

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

The Smurfit Course Tests Golfing Skills

by charlenemixa Written Jun 4, 2014

We played the Smurfit Course and had a beautiful cool fall day. Under clear blue skies, we had a great round and thoroughly enjoyed this challenging inland link-style course. Each hole presents a new demand with a variety challenges from water to bunkers to quarries. It is in excellent condition! It lives up to it’s accolades’ as a true Championship Course and host to the Smurfit Kappa European Open for many years. Our rental clubs were also top notch. A terrific course to play and The K Club is a fantastic five-star resort. Just wish we’d had time to also play the Palmer Course. We understand they are two totally different courses

• Golf

The Gardens of the K Club

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Jun 6, 2008

As you enter the K Club you drive up an impressive winding driveway to the imposing but welcoming front door of the hotel.

What you don't see are the amazing gardens behind the hotel, set out in typical Irish Mansion style the best gardens and walkways are to the rear, leading down to the meandering River Liffey.

For a romantic evening walk I would suggest stopping first and picking up a glass of champagne or a Bellini to sip from the terrace as you observe the gardens below.

Then stroll down the central walkway, pausing for a while at the fountain, and stroll onwards towards the Liffey river. It's up to you then - left or right? I chose the right, which I adored, though in hindsight it seems there's a very beautiful weir to the left. All for another time.

A couple of holes of one of the two infamous golf courses of this resort traverse the gardens in this area. You never know who you might bump into;-)

• Hiking and Walking

Wine Cellar Tour

by SabrinaSummerville Written Jun 6, 2008

I was lucky to be brought on a guided tour of the wine cellars at Ireland's fabulous K Club.

It was at night and everywhere there were candles and tiny tea lights illuminating the vintages, both old and new.

Being the K Club they have many wines named for famous golfers, and indeed many famous golfers have their own vineyards.

Once we descended the stairs to the wine cellar we were greeted with a glass of perfectly chilled champagne which we sipped as we browsed.

Alex, the resort's sommellier, was delighted to explain the different wines to us and allowed me to take lots of pics.

• Wine Tasting

Straffan Hotels

• K Club Dublin

Well known as a venue for the European Open and Ryder Cup Golf competitions, the K Club is a...

• Barberstown Castle

County Kildare

Satisfaction: Very Good

Good for: Couples

Straffan Restaurants

Byerley Turk: Exceptional Food and Service

by SabrinaSummerville Updated May 28, 2008

The Byerley Turk is the top of the market K Club's fine dining restaurant, and dining there is indeed fine.

The decor is true to the period of the original house that is now the K Club, and thus is opulent, lavish, and expensive. From the moment we entered the adjoining bar for pre dinner Bellinis, we were made feel special and this heightened the anticipation for the meal ahead.

An amuse bouche, unlike anything I ever had before, was served in the bar on a miniature silver tiered platter. Four miniature pre dinner treats were served for each guest - a tiny porkburger complete with miniature bun, a filo pastry canelloni filled with foie gras mousse, a breaded rice ball with truffle oil, and a sliver of smoked salmon rolled and stuffed with soured cream.

We moved to oour window side table in the main restaurant and another surprise was presented - a ragout of lamb with creamed potato. This was served in a small cup and was warm and tasty.

For my starter I had selected the terrine of foie gras which was served with a perfectly formed mini brioche and four apricots. I pronounced it divine and savoured every bite.

This was followed by the very special signature dish that was invented by the head chef for the Ryder Cup in 2006. “An Beef Tuath” is the name given to the dish which consisted of
    2 perfectly rare Mignons of Irish Beef, Shallot & Wild Mushroom Crown, Organic Carrot with Garlic and Potato Foam, Mead sauce. My fears that the Mead sauce might be too sweet were unjustified. The garlic and potato foam was amazing and the entire feast was accompanied with perfect vegetables.

For some the real fun begins with dessert. It's different here, because it's a dessert experience and not just another course. Dessert consists not solely of what you order, but of a surprise pre-dessert dish, your main dessert, petit fours, and home made liqueur filled lollipops. The pre dessert was of a mousse filled sugar shell canneloni. The comparison of textures between the sugar crust cannelloni and the mousse was delightful. My dessert was a confection of pineapple, lime, ginger, and coconut - redolent with holiday flavours and decorated with a flower fashioned from pineapple I simply adored it. You think things can't get any better but then the petit fours arrive. These are on a similar theme to the first amuse bouche - miniatures of four different confections for each diner. The piece de resistance for me was a tiny pink candy floss which was served with much aplomb and an amusing story about the chef's love for his mini candy floss machine.

Favorite Dish: I don't think I have ever had a meal quite like this one. Course after course continued to delight and made the evening as much an entertainment in itself as an excellent gourmet experience.

I must not forget to mention Alex, the perfect somellier. Alex didn't force anything too expensive on us, nor did he frown when I expressed a preference for white wine over red.

On his recommendation I enjoyed a glass of chilled sweet Spanish red with my foie gras, gave into my own weakness for Gewurztraminer with the mian course, and tasted an unusual but delightfully light sweet dessert wine with my pineapple. I have asked the hotel to email me the names of the starter wine and the dessert wine, and I have no doubt but that they will.

The night ended with a special tour of the wine cellars - but that's another story:-)

A thoroughly delightful experience.

An amuse bouche with a difference Mini lamb ragout Foie gras terrine with baby brioche An Beef Tuath - main course That pineapple dessert
    • Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Straffan

Comments

Straffan Travel Guide
Map of Straffan