Places to eat in Kilkenny

Most Viewed Restaurants in Kilkenny

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

The Fig Tree Cafe: Excellent café in the town centre

by Flying.Scotsman Written Feb 27, 2014

An excellent place with friendly staff for a light lunch. We had scrambled eggs and a BLT (with lots of b!). For those few people who don't know, a BLT is a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich. It is on the High Street, so it's very convenient if you are sightseeing. It has a 4.5/5 rating on Tripadvisor. See:http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186616-d3170420-Reviews-The_Fig_Tree_Restaurant-Kilkenny_County_Kilkenny.html

• The Gourmet Store: The best sandwich

by evaly Written Mar 26, 2013

A small deli on high street, The Gourmet store serves, by far, the best sandwiches/paninis/wraps in Ireland. As the title suggests all of there sandwiches are made with the finest ingredients and at €3.50 a sandwich, it's amazing value. I simple cannot rave enough, a must eat.

Favorite Dish: The Florence Panini, to die for

• Foodworks: Divine Food

by evaly Written Mar 26, 2013

Probably the best best restaurant in Kilkenny quality wise. They have a great selection and everything is cooked perfectly. The prices are great for what you get. Highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: The duck- perfectly cooked, falls off the bone

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Matt the Miller's pub.: Fine entertainment and decent food.

by pfsmalo Written Jan 2, 2013

Right on the corner of Lower John street and John's Quay, with two big bouncers on the door there was no risk of the over-enthusiastic Hurling supporters gate-crashing. The main bar is at ground floor level with the band further back on a raised podium. Just behind this bar is a staircase that takes you up a floor to the eating area. There is also a small bar up here for those that want a bit more quiet. Even when the band played a couple of rock or country numbers we were able to speak to each other without problems.

We took the roast-beef specials and mash each, I had a couple of pints of Guinness plus half of lager and it came to just 28€ for the lot. Cheap!!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Design Center: Cafeteria Lunch Stop

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Favorite Dish: We had to eat lunch on our own (as usual) and we went across the street to a craft market place which had a cafeteria. I got a piece of quiche and a Waldorf salad which consisted mostly of various size pieces of celery with some pieces of walnut and only about 3 pieces of apple. My grandson got a sandwich, soup, which he didn't care for and a cheesecake which he ate.

My waldorf salad Victoria standing in the arch Grandson's cheesecake Facade of the Craft Center Grandson's soup

Jacob's Cottage: Fine Fare, Funky Atmosphere

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 4, 2011

I have a little repertoire of Kilkenny restaurants that I usually use when in that City, but when I arrived today - it being Good Friday - my usual haunts were all closed.

Trudging dejectedly back to my car, I was more than pleased to come across Jacob's Cottage on Ormonde Street just opposite the large multi storey car park.

I was with my Mum, my sister, her two kids, and a buggy laden down with shopping, but they welcomed us warmly.

The restaurant is part of the Hibernian Hotel complex. The Hotel itself is comfortably olde worlde in its decor, but the restaurant is entirely different. The colours are strong and bright, the walls are hung with a mixture of modern and classic art (mostly originals), fresh floral table decorations are funky coloured hostas and not the usual boring old carnations, and the tables are large with comfortable seats.

There is an a la carte lunch menu offering a varied selection at middle of the road prices, and there are specials displayed on the blackboard. As it was Good Friday they put on a number of special seafood dishes for those who did not want to eat meat. I had the oak smoked salmon omelette and would happily go back for more. It was served with chunky, non-greasy fries and a very fresh salad. My sis and I shared a cheeseboard and the selection included tasting portions of seven different Irish cheeses with home made biscuits, celery sticks, kumquats and sliced strawberries - divine. The coffee was freshly ground and strong, just the way I like it.

Service is efficient and very friendly - the staff will do whatever they can to make sure you're happy and well looked after.

Portions are more than generous and the food is excellent.

This restaurant has won several awards, and I can see why.

Favorite Dish: I would recommend the mussels cooked Thai style with ginger, lemongrass, chilli and coconut milk. Also, I loved the deep fried calamari - the crumb coating was crisp and non-greasy, and the calamari were tasty and juicy (I find them rubbery in most places).

Restaurant Streetscape

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Kilkenny Design Centre Cafe: Designer Cafe

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Upstairs in the interesting Kilkenny Design Centre there is an equally interesting cafe.

It serves light meals, coffee and cakes.

We popped over here for afternoon tea after visiting Kilkenny Castle across the road.

It is an impressive building and a great place to take five and plan your next sight seeing activity.

Favorite Dish: Average coffee but delicious cakes

Coffee at the Design Centre

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo

Daniel W. Bollard: Meet locals and tourists!

by slothtraveller Updated Aug 20, 2010

A fairly generic Irish pub serving hearty food at decent prices. Supposedly the Bollard family have owned this pub since 1904. It's location on Kieran St make it an ideal stopping point after visiting the castle.

Daniel Bollard's pub/restaurant
    • Beer Tasting

• Dabs's Profile Photo

The Pantry: Quick stop for lunch

by Dabs Updated Aug 30, 2009

I was cold, wet, jetlagged and admittedly just a little cranky, we wandered around for a bit looking for somewhere to eat and finally decided just to get a quick bite at this cafeteria style place. We ordered at the counter and they brought the food out to us after it was properly reheated.

Favorite Dish: Most of the food didn't look appetizing to me, I was after all cold, wet, jetlagged and a little cranky, so I ordered a sausage roll (€1.90) and a bread and butter pudding with custard (€3.60), David had a chicken pot pie (€4.95) and chips (€2.40). I was a little less cranky after I ate it so I guess it was alright.

Total for 2 with 1 drink, 1 1/2 mains and 2 desserts €18.55.

The Pantry

• monicarc's Profile Photo

Kilkenny Design Craft Centre: Grab a scone and drink!!!

by monicarc Written Jul 9, 2009

This isn't a restaurant, but a cute little museum type snack shop attached to the Kilkenny Design center--yummy homemade style scones, banana bread, muffins, sandwiches, etc are available for take away. We grabbed some snacks to eat on the train back to Dublin.

Favorite Dish: multi-berry scone and strawberry muffins!!!!!!!

Dore's Nostalgia Cafe: Lunch in a Time Machine

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Sep 22, 2007

I stood outside the huge shopping centre wondering where I might find someplace nice but casual for light food, when a splash of colour across the street caught my eye. I found myself drawn towards Dore's Nostalgia Cafe and Deli and as I walked through the doors I was wrapped in an aroma of fresh food and an atmosphere that transported me to a 1940's Ireland.

The restaurant is essentially delicatessan style, with a buffet of the most tantalising hot and cold food set out to torment you. In addition to what you can see on display, there are specials of the day (generally hot meals and hot toasties) and amazing desserts.

I opten forr a smoked salmon salad and as that didn't feature as one of their standard salads there was a small additional charge of €1. However, for that I got more than I could eat with a selection of salads of my choosing and some delectable brown bread.

Take time to admire the exhibits that line the walls. They are all items of nostalgic Ireland and almost all of them are for sale, with discrete little white stickers on each item.

It's well worth a visit, even if just for a coffee and a look around.

The staff are incredibly helpful and pleasant.

• Photography

• igabrielle's Profile Photo

Swans Chinese Restaurant: Excellent Chinese Food and Service

by igabrielle Written Aug 29, 2007

Located in the heart of Kilkenny City on the corner of the Parade over Landbrokes, offers a view towards Kilkenny Castle from the first floor location. The restaurant is bright and very relaxing with comfortable leather seats.
    Delivery service available.

Excellent service, wonderful food, very attentive personel.

• igabrielle's Profile Photo

Zuni Restaurant & Townhouse: Among the best

by igabrielle Written Aug 29, 2007

Serves modern Irish food with European and Asian influences in contemporary designed surroundings. Open for lunch and dinner with excellent service assured.
    From all the restaurants I ate in Ireland this was among the nicest ones.

• sirenna's Profile Photo

Crotty's Coffee House: Charming Cafe

by sirenna Updated Jul 19, 2006

I loved this little coffee shop on St Kieran's street. It's the perfect place to sit down and relax after an afternoon wandering the city. Crotty's was established by expert baker Martin Crotty in 1992. They serve a delicious selection of soups, sandwiches, paninis, bagels & toasted sandwiches, as well as salads & homemade pastries. Be sure to try the homemade apple tarts and cakes.

Zuni: Great Food with a Modern Twist

by SabrinaSummerville Updated May 8, 2006

Zuni - even the name itself tells you that this is a restaurant with a difference.

From the outside, the building facade is deceptive and suggests something old fashioned and staid. This is not so. Once you walk through the doors you find yourself in a long and narrow bar, upholstered in chocolate brown leather, with votive candles on each table. It' s a very trendy place to relax with a drink before dinner, or just a simple drink.

The bar opens into a large and airy modern restaurant. here the colours are terracotta and cream, with a little of that chocolate brown for balance.

The tables are well spaced, and dressed with crisp white linen and fresh flowers. There's a big open kitchen so that you can see the chefs at work and the aromas of cooking waft around the room in a delicious way. There are also seats outside with patio heaters for cooler evenings.

Zuni will always offer something just a little bit different, though tonight I opted for a simple meal. When I entered the restaurant I could smell mushrooms coooking, so I had almost no option but to opt for the homemade mushroom soup drizzled with a little basil oil. This was served with the most delicious selection of warm, fresh from the oven homemade breads. I indulged in the tomato and fennel bread, then the salt crusted basil bread. I would have eaten that bread and needed nothing else.

Next followed the sirloin steak. Some people think steak is easy to do, but it's not. There are very few restaurants that can cooked a steak to perfection, but Zuni are on that list. The steak came with a mushroom jus, a tian of mashed potato, and beautifully wok fried fresh vegetables.

I followedd this with a coffee (freshly brewed) as I simply hadn't room for dessert.

With a gin and tonic and a large bottled water, the bill totalled €61 for two people. I thought this represented excellent value.

Favorite Dish: The homemade breads really have to be sampled. Especially the basil bread. The breads come served on slates, which gives it a big of a tasty edge.

I also recommend the seafood linguini. Yummy.

Zuni

Kilkenny Tourist Hostel
Premier Newpark Hotel Dublin
Troysgate House

Instant Answers: Kilkenny

Comments

Kilkenny Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Kilkenny locals.
Map of Kilkenny