Places to eat in Kilkenny

by WBeall

Most Viewed Restaurants in Kilkenny

The Marble City Bar: Funky Kilkenny Restaurant/Bar

by sue_stone Written Jul 18, 2004

The Marble City Bar is a modern bar/restaurant located in the heart of Kilkenny.

Open for lunch and dinner, it serves a very reasonably priced, varied menu of classic favourites and a few surprises.

We had a late lunch here and the place was packed - all types of people enjoying the good food and funky decor.

Favorite Dish: We had burgers and roast of the day, washed down with a cold Kilkenny beer.

Kilkenny Design Centre Cafe: Designer Cafe

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Upstairs in the interesting Kilkenny Design Centre there is an equally interesting cafe.

It serves light meals, coffee and cakes.

We popped over here for afternoon tea after visiting Kilkenny Castle across the road.

It is an impressive building and a great place to take five and plan your next sight seeing activity.

Favorite Dish: Average coffee but delicious cakes

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Langtons Restaurant: The best Restaurant in Kilkenny?!

by sue_stone Updated Jul 18, 2004

Langtons is a huge fancy pub, with a pretty special restaurant in the centre of Kilkenny.

It has won Irish pub of the year 4 times and you can see why.

The several bar areas are classy and the restaurant is very impressive looking, with a glass atrium and stained glass.

The service was professional and efficent, the wine list was great and the menu had plenty to choose from.

Favorite Dish: We had Lamb Shanks and Roast Duckling, washed down with a fine Aussie red wine and topped off with delicious desserts and coffee.

It was a little pricy, but well worth it!

• Luxury Travel

Jacob's Cottage: Fine Fare, Funky Atmosphere

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 4, 2011

I have a little repertoire of Kilkenny restaurants that I usually use when in that City, but when I arrived today - it being Good Friday - my usual haunts were all closed.

Trudging dejectedly back to my car, I was more than pleased to come across Jacob's Cottage on Ormonde Street just opposite the large multi storey car park.

I was with my Mum, my sister, her two kids, and a buggy laden down with shopping, but they welcomed us warmly.

The restaurant is part of the Hibernian Hotel complex. The Hotel itself is comfortably olde worlde in its decor, but the restaurant is entirely different. The colours are strong and bright, the walls are hung with a mixture of modern and classic art (mostly originals), fresh floral table decorations are funky coloured hostas and not the usual boring old carnations, and the tables are large with comfortable seats.

There is an a la carte lunch menu offering a varied selection at middle of the road prices, and there are specials displayed on the blackboard. As it was Good Friday they put on a number of special seafood dishes for those who did not want to eat meat. I had the oak smoked salmon omelette and would happily go back for more. It was served with chunky, non-greasy fries and a very fresh salad. My sis and I shared a cheeseboard and the selection included tasting portions of seven different Irish cheeses with home made biscuits, celery sticks, kumquats and sliced strawberries - divine. The coffee was freshly ground and strong, just the way I like it.

Service is efficient and very friendly - the staff will do whatever they can to make sure you're happy and well looked after.

Portions are more than generous and the food is excellent.

This restaurant has won several awards, and I can see why.

Favorite Dish: I would recommend the mussels cooked Thai style with ginger, lemongrass, chilli and coconut milk. Also, I loved the deep fried calamari - the crumb coating was crisp and non-greasy, and the calamari were tasty and juicy (I find them rubbery in most places).

• Dabs's Profile Photo

The Pantry: Quick stop for lunch

by Dabs Updated Aug 30, 2009

I was cold, wet, jetlagged and admittedly just a little cranky, we wandered around for a bit looking for somewhere to eat and finally decided just to get a quick bite at this cafeteria style place. We ordered at the counter and they brought the food out to us after it was properly reheated.

Favorite Dish: Most of the food didn't look appetizing to me, I was after all cold, wet, jetlagged and a little cranky, so I ordered a sausage roll (€1.90) and a bread and butter pudding with custard (€3.60), David had a chicken pot pie (€4.95) and chips (€2.40). I was a little less cranky after I ate it so I guess it was alright.

Total for 2 with 1 drink, 1 1/2 mains and 2 desserts €18.55.

Zuni: Great Food with a Modern Twist

by SabrinaSummerville Updated May 8, 2006

Zuni - even the name itself tells you that this is a restaurant with a difference.

From the outside, the building facade is deceptive and suggests something old fashioned and staid. This is not so. Once you walk through the doors you find yourself in a long and narrow bar, upholstered in chocolate brown leather, with votive candles on each table. It' s a very trendy place to relax with a drink before dinner, or just a simple drink.

The bar opens into a large and airy modern restaurant. here the colours are terracotta and cream, with a little of that chocolate brown for balance.

The tables are well spaced, and dressed with crisp white linen and fresh flowers. There's a big open kitchen so that you can see the chefs at work and the aromas of cooking waft around the room in a delicious way. There are also seats outside with patio heaters for cooler evenings.

Zuni will always offer something just a little bit different, though tonight I opted for a simple meal. When I entered the restaurant I could smell mushrooms coooking, so I had almost no option but to opt for the homemade mushroom soup drizzled with a little basil oil. This was served with the most delicious selection of warm, fresh from the oven homemade breads. I indulged in the tomato and fennel bread, then the salt crusted basil bread. I would have eaten that bread and needed nothing else.

Next followed the sirloin steak. Some people think steak is easy to do, but it's not. There are very few restaurants that can cooked a steak to perfection, but Zuni are on that list. The steak came with a mushroom jus, a tian of mashed potato, and beautifully wok fried fresh vegetables.

I followedd this with a coffee (freshly brewed) as I simply hadn't room for dessert.

With a gin and tonic and a large bottled water, the bill totalled €61 for two people. I thought this represented excellent value.

Favorite Dish: The homemade breads really have to be sampled. Especially the basil bread. The breads come served on slates, which gives it a big of a tasty edge.

I also recommend the seafood linguini. Yummy.

• Business Travel

Dore's Nostalgia Cafe: Lunch in a Time Machine

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Sep 22, 2007

I stood outside the huge shopping centre wondering where I might find someplace nice but casual for light food, when a splash of colour across the street caught my eye. I found myself drawn towards Dore's Nostalgia Cafe and Deli and as I walked through the doors I was wrapped in an aroma of fresh food and an atmosphere that transported me to a 1940's Ireland.

The restaurant is essentially delicatessan style, with a buffet of the most tantalising hot and cold food set out to torment you. In addition to what you can see on display, there are specials of the day (generally hot meals and hot toasties) and amazing desserts.

I opten forr a smoked salmon salad and as that didn't feature as one of their standard salads there was a small additional charge of €1. However, for that I got more than I could eat with a selection of salads of my choosing and some delectable brown bread.

Take time to admire the exhibits that line the walls. They are all items of nostalgic Ireland and almost all of them are for sale, with discrete little white stickers on each item.

It's well worth a visit, even if just for a coffee and a look around.

The staff are incredibly helpful and pleasant.

• Photography

• ErinInMD's Profile Photo

Coffee Club: Yummy Food

by ErinInMD Written Jun 19, 2005

I really wanted some fish & chips and something warm to drink and this place fit the bill.

I had a yummy cafe latte with my meal. They have a low-fat version of the latte, but were out of skim milk when I was there.

The fish was very good and not too heavy on the breading. I noticed that's one thing American restaurants cannot get right ... way too much breading on the fish.

Favorite Dish: I had fish and chips. The meal also came with coleslaw that was quite good (and I'm not a big coleslaw person).

• Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Design Center: Cafeteria Lunch Stop

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Favorite Dish: We had to eat lunch on our own (as usual) and we went across the street to a craft market place which had a cafeteria. I got a piece of quiche and a Waldorf salad which consisted mostly of various size pieces of celery with some pieces of walnut and only about 3 pieces of apple. My grandson got a sandwich, soup, which he didn't care for and a cheesecake which he ate.

• sirenna's Profile Photo

Crotty's Coffee House: Charming Cafe

by sirenna Updated Jul 19, 2006

I loved this little coffee shop on St Kieran's street. It's the perfect place to sit down and relax after an afternoon wandering the city. Crotty's was established by expert baker Martin Crotty in 1992. They serve a delicious selection of soups, sandwiches, paninis, bagels & toasted sandwiches, as well as salads & homemade pastries. Be sure to try the homemade apple tarts and cakes.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

Lenehan's Bar: wholesome soup

by ettenaj Written Dec 11, 2004

When a pub hasnt changed for more than a century, the customers tend to take it for granted and that is the way they like it.
    Good wholesome soup and sandwiches served daily 11.30 - 2.30 Mon - Fri

Favorite Dish: Soup

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo

Daniel W. Bollard: Meet locals and tourists!

by slothtraveller Updated Aug 20, 2010

A fairly generic Irish pub serving hearty food at decent prices. Supposedly the Bollard family have owned this pub since 1904. It's location on Kieran St make it an ideal stopping point after visiting the castle.

• Beer Tasting

• Sylvander's Profile Photo

Rafter Dempseys: Easy on the palate and the wallet

by Sylvander Written Oct 2, 2004

Feeling like a change from rich food (and lured by the live, big-screen football), we ate an early dinner at Rafter Dempseys. The food was inexpensive, yet very good and the service excellent from the friendly staff.
    We spent 40 Euros on two mains, a shared dessert and a couple of drinks each.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Overview

by barryg23 Updated Feb 18, 2003

Kilkenny is not exactly the gourmet capital of Ireland (nor would Ireland be described as the gourmet capital of Europe!) and the selection of restaurants is only adequate. Coffee-culture has yet to hit Kilkenny as it has Dublin though you'll find older, traditional lunch places here.

• monicarc's Profile Photo

Kilkenny Design Craft Centre: Grab a scone and drink!!!

by monicarc Written Jul 9, 2009

This isn't a restaurant, but a cute little museum type snack shop attached to the Kilkenny Design center--yummy homemade style scones, banana bread, muffins, sandwiches, etc are available for take away. We grabbed some snacks to eat on the train back to Dublin.

Favorite Dish: multi-berry scone and strawberry muffins!!!!!!!

Kilkenny Hotels

Troysgate House
Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel
Latest: Apr 19, 2014

Instant Answers: Kilkenny

Comments

Kilkenny Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Kilkenny locals.
Map of Kilkenny