Kilkenny Castle, Kilkenny

• KevinMichael's Profile Photo

Of course, Go to Kilkenny Castle

by KevinMichael Written Jun 6, 2005

Kilkenny Castle (in May)

This is the largest of the Irish castles I had a chance to visit. Apparently, the castle was built during the time of the Norman invasions. But, it has obviously been modernized much like other Irish castles I've seen.

I had a chance to visit the interior as well. The Castle now acts as a museum for a bit of Irish history.

• linwei66's Profile Photo

by linwei66 Written Mar 10, 2005

Kilkenny Castle

The castel in Kilkenny is extremely cold inside so make sure you hang onto your coat and don't put it in the coat check. It is an interesting tour though and the tour guide, Seamus O'Brian, is overly Irish and very enthusiastic.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

by barryg23 Updated Jan 7, 2003

Kilkenny Castle

My mind is blanking when I think what to write about the Castle. I really should have listened in class when its history was all explained to us. I'll have to buy a guide and brush up on my history next time I'm home.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Kilkenny Castle: The Butlers Did It

by yooperprof Updated Aug 6, 2013

From the 17th century onward, Kilkenny Castle was owned by the Butler family, whose head was holders of the title "Marquess of Ormonde." Following Irish Independence, they were no longer able to maintain the property, and in the 1960s the family donated it to a conservation group which has done a superb job of restoring the the building and the grounds.

The public rooms of the castle are generally in very good shape - I was especially intrigued by the long and handsome picture gallery. The Butlers lived in considerable style, and were rightly proud of the heritage of their property. The Castle itself dates back to the medieval Norman occupation of this region, and it really does still remind a visitor that this was essentially an occupied fort for many centuries.

The Castle is strategically located next time to a flowing river. The Castle played a significant during the Wars of the 1640s, and following his conquest of the region, Oliver Cromwell himself supervision the partial demolition of its defensive fortifications. (Originally the courtyard was enclosed.)

I visited Kilkenny on a grayish day in early March, but I was still able to enjoy the blooming daffodils and crocuses on the grounds.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

How to gain a free entrance ticket

by MikeBird Updated Mar 27, 2014

Kilkenny Castle from the park

I just happened, by chance, to visit Kilkenny Castle on the first Wednesday of the month ( March) and much to my surprise and pleasure I was told that I could get in for free on that day! This saved me 6Euros. It seems all of the historic sites owned by the Irish Heritage organisation offer this enticement to visit their properties on the first Wednesday of each month.

Anyway, bouyed up by this free access, I set off to explore the renovated Castle which is very much in the tradition of Victorian stately home filled with over the top ( to me at least) grandeur. To be honest I get quite annoyed when I think of the splendour that the succession of Butler to Ormonde families lived in when there was so much hardship all around them. I'm glad I took the time to explore and if you like stately homes then you will probably like this one but for me personally I wouldn't want to return.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

by orlikins Updated Apr 4, 2011

Kilkenny Castle

Kilkenny Castle - home to an ancient aristocratic Irish-Norman family who were Butlers of Ormond. THE thing to see in Kilkenny. The grounds are lovely to stroll around in too. We did the tour and it was good, but nothing a leaflet couldn't already tell you.

However the Castle is stunning, it is amazing how well it looks on the riverside after hundreds of years.

• kevarms's Profile Photo

by kevarms Written Nov 18, 2006

Not exactly the medieval fortress visitors may hope to see, Kilkenny Castle is largely a reconstruction of how it looked in much later times (17th-19th centuries) before falling almost to ruins. Still, it's quite impressive and the guided tour shows how the aristocracy lived. Please note cameras aren't permitted on the tours, no exceptions. They have to be handed in to a kiosk before the tour starts and picked up again once it's over. Don't worry, it will be in safe hands.

• oceania26's Profile Photo

by oceania26 Written Apr 18, 2006

You can only visit the castle by a guided tour and a guided tour is only available form 11-4pm, 2 every hour. You're forced to leave your camera and bags before the tour. Our tour guide was great though, very cheerful and informative.

• WBeall's Profile Photo

Breathtaking castle

by WBeall Written Feb 18, 2013

The Kilkenny Castle is absolutly breathtaking. We were visiting the castle on a day that the tours of the castle were free and it was a self guide tour. We were a little late in the day and they were about to close so we were kind of in a rush but the entire tour was very nice and we learned alot. Afterward we walked the premises and took some pictures, as we were walking around the sky started to turn black and there was a huge rainbow. We had a great but quick time at the Kilkenny castle.

• Museum Visits

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

The castle is always fascinating.

by Beausoleil Written Oct 22, 2013
    Kilkenny Castle

We love castles, new ones or old ones. The castle in Kilkenny has foundations dating from the thirteenth century and was built by William Marshall, Earl of Pembroke. Our youngest is a great fan of William Marshall so Kilkenny Castle was a must-see on this trip.

Unfortunately, photos are not allowed inside the castle so all my pictures are of the outside. There are quite a few photos on the web site below.

There is a tea room in the castle but I'm not going to recommend it. When we were there, they had one fellow cooking, waiting and running the cash register and he wasn't very efficient. He also wasn't really cooking; he was microwaving pre-made sandwiches and things. The tea might be okay but the food is mediocre. There are several excellent restaurants in town so better to go enjoy one of those.

Outside, there is a wonderful park and if you enjoy little tourist trains, you can catch one right outside the castle entrance.

• doug48's Profile Photo

castle gardens

by doug48 Written Jul 4, 2007

castle gardens

kilkenny castle is surrounded by a beautiful park and gardens. the gardens are open to the public and there is no admission charge.

• sailor_mars_86's Profile Photo

Kilkenny Castle.

by sailor_mars_86 Written Mar 12, 2006

Kilkenny Castle

Check out the Caste when you're in Kilkenny.. I didn't go inside though, since I was busy checking out all of the pubs. But the outside view was cool.

• Buckz's Profile Photo

You can't miss it so you have to look at it.

by Buckz Written Dec 17, 2003

Kilkenny Castle

Castle interior and grounds are well worth a visit.
    It has 2 very distinct aspects, so try to photograph it AM and PM. THis is the west face, and is a PM shot.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

by IrishFem Written Jun 16, 2005

Kilkenny Castle

You can't miss this castle right in the heart of Kilkenny. Beautiful gardens surround the castle and its a very nice way to spend an afternoon especially if its sunny.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

by mvtouring Updated Nov 18, 2010
    Kilkenny Castle

This 12th century castle was remodelled during Victorian times. it is set in vast parklands. The castle overlooks the river Nore and has guarded this important river crossing for more than 900 years.

Instant Answers: Kilkenny

Comments

Hotels Near Kilkenny Castle
4.0 out of 5 stars