Carlingford Travel Guide

• Leprechaun Hunt, Carlingford Sunday 27th March 201
    Leprechaun Hunt, Carlingford Sunday 27th...
    by suvanki
    A trio of 'Little People'
    A headless leprechaun!

Carlingford Things to Do

Medieval Buildings

by Deefstes Updated Feb 27, 2003

All along the streets of Carlingford you'll see various medieval buildings right in between the houses and shops.

This is for instance the Carlingford Priory and is actually in a rather bad state of repair in comparison with places like the Mint or the Jail. It's still quite something and I enjoyed walking around there very much.

Carlingford Priory

King John's Castle

by Deefstes Written Feb 27, 2003

I haven't managed to find out what the relationship between this castle and King John's Castle in Limerick is. I can only assume that it would've been the same King John who commisioned both but what he would've come to the west of Ireland for is a mystery to me.

The castle is rather cool and the way they light it up at night makes for a great landmark.

King John's Castle, Carlingford

• Carlingford Hotels

8 Hotels in Carlingford

Carlingford Hotels

Carlingford Local Customs

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Leprechaun Hunt Bringing up the rear....

by suvanki Written Apr 10, 2011

Stopping every few feet to take photos, meant that we were near to the back of the procession, well not to worry, we were in good company!

This trio of jolly ladies nearly made me wish that I'd purchased a costume- or at least a hat. They seemed to be having such a great time - we never saw them after these pics though, so I don't know if they continued, or headed back .

A headless leprechaun! A trio of 'Little People' Are you looking at me? Hitchin' a ride.... and why not!
    • Hiking and Walking

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Leprechaun Hunt - meet the band!

by suvanki Updated Apr 10, 2011

After a while, we spotted the band - The Carlingford Pipe Band, and people having their photo taken - Great! Where's my VT flag?
    I met Anne Marie at the 2010 London Treasure Hunt, where one of our tasks for bonus points was to get photographed with as many people in uniform as we could - So, I think I must have been back in 'Treasure Hunt Mode', when I leapt in for a pic with this charming man.

There will be more pics of myself and Anne Marie with the VT flag in my Carlingford travelogues.
    The members of the Carlingford Pipe Band, were very patient as people posed for photos with them- they even waited while I finally got my flag the right way up.

This pipe band feature in many of Carlingford and areas festivities, and in welcoming dignitaries to the area, such as 2005, when President Mary McAleese opened the Foy Centre.

The Carlingford Pipe Band piper and me The Carlingford Pipe Band Carlingford Pipe Band member
    • Music

Parading through Carlingford

by suvanki Updated Apr 10, 2011

I was surprised to see how many 'Leprechaun Hunters' were in front of us, well I guess we weren't in with much chance of finding any prizes?
    So, I just decided to enjoy the walk, and spotting the various costumes etc.

Some of the locals were watching the procession from their door steps, or from local hostelleries.
    I was really enjoying the atmosphere. There was a real mix of ages taking part-from babes in arms to some who had passed their ' three scores and ten'. Families, groups of friends and solo participants were all heading towards Carlingford Mountain (and the leprechauns)!

where did they all come from? A bobbing sea of Green hats One leprechaun and his dog Cheering us all on... Fashionable leprechauns
    • Hiking and Walking

Carlingford Favorites

Carlingford Lough

by Deefstes Written Feb 27, 2003

Favorite thing: Carlingford lies right on a beautfiul and rather big lough. I still don't always understand when you call something a lough, when you call it a bay and when you call it a river mouth. Carlingford Lough is all of those but it's called a lough.

At any rate, it's lovely and we sailed up from Dublin to Carlingford and sailed up the lough. It was beautiful.

This picture was taken from the yacht towards the north. So it really actually shows county Down in Northern Ireland and the mountains are the Mountains of Mourne. In the foreground is a lovely area called Greencastle.

Mountains of Mourne as seen from Carlingford Lough

Instant Answers: Carlingford

Comments

Carlingford Travel Guide

Map of Carlingford