Mellifont Abbey, Drogheda
Mellifont Abbey lies around 10 kilometers from Drogheda, in Collon village on the banks of the River Mattock. Once the abbey was the center of the Cistercian order in Ireland. It was established in 1142 by St. Malachy of Armagh and was the first abbey of the order in the country. William of Orange used Mellifont Abbey as his headquarters during the Battle of the Boyne in 1690.