Fondest memory: In a sequesters valley, four miles north of Drogheda, stand the remains of the once magnificent and celebrated monastic foundation of Mellifont. In 1142, Donogh O'Carroll, Prince of Uriel (Louth) erected the first abbey in Ireland for monks of the Cisterian order. Its foundation is associated with St. Malachy. The building was finished 1157. Other significant historic events to occur in Mellifont were the surrender of Hugh O'Neill to Lord Mountjoy in 1603 and it was also here that William of Orange made his headquarters in 1690.