Been here? Rate It!
The Mall was once the cricket pitch of Lord Lucan and his clan. It is here in the town park that you will find the 1798 Monument, which was erected on the 150th anniversary of the 1798 rising. It is also the burial place of John Moore who was the first appointed President of the Republic of Connaught on 31 August 1798. He held this title for just one week as he was imprisoned by English forces and died on the 6th of December. Two days later he was buried outside the city of Waterford. However his remains were exhumed and re-interred in his Castlebar grave on the 13th of August 1961. His family then returned to Mayo from their home in Spain and in 1792 they built Moore Hall
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices