Westport Restaurants

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Cronin’s Sheebeen Pub and Restaurant: A friendly and fun pub

by Beausoleil Written Mar 31, 2014
    My only photo of Sheebeen's Pub

We arrived in Westport Harbor on my birthday and after a long day of driving so we asked our B&B hostess if there was a place to eat nearby. We were ready to walk. She directed us to a footpath across the road from the B&B and we headed down into Rosbeg which seems to be a suburb (very small one) of Westport. Right on the water sits Sheebeen's Pub with a fabulous view of the sunset on the water.

Favorite Dish: Honestly, I don't even know what we ate but it was good. The reason I can't remember is because later events eclipsed the food. Here's my Journal entry to explain it:

"We chose seats in one of the front rooms where two women were seated, and we settled into the opposite corner. The two ladies turned out to be aunt and niece of nearly the same age, eccentric, very jolly and well traveled. The niece was a watercolorist and the aunt a sports fan. They quickly deduced we were American and engaged us in conversation. This went back and forth and in the times Ed & I were talking to each other, they were listening very carefully. They didn’t miss a thing. Ed toasted my birthday and they picked up on it immediately and wished me a Happy Birthday. Then the subject dropped as we shared travel stories.

We decided to order dessert and I opted for the chocolate fondant since it was my birthday. Somehow the two ladies conveyed to the waitress it was my birthday so when my dessert arrived, it had a candle and everyone joined in singing “Happy Birthday.” It was a complete surprise and great fun. When Ed went to pay the bill, we discovered they had paid for my dessert! I went back in and thanked them. As we left, everyone at the bar wished me a Happy Birthday."

• Sailing and Boating

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

The Quay Cottage: Fun French Restaurant in Ireland

by Beausoleil Written Mar 31, 2014
    The Quay Cottage

We were spending three days in a B&B just off the Westport Harbor in County Mayo. We asked the B&B owner for recommendations and this was one of two she gave us. (Both were excellent.) The Quay Cottage was so good we returned a second night and enjoyed it just as much. Here are my two Journal entires for the visits.

"At 6:00 we drove to the Quay Cottage to discover it is a French restaurant and excellent. We got to practice our French and had a wonderful meal. I started with duck confit salad, had a grilled salmon for a main and we both got the fondant au chocolat for dessert. Ed got an equally good baked cod. We’re going to try again tomorrow night for their pork medallions which they didn’t have tonight. It’s a real find."

Favorite Dish: Here is the second Journal entry:

"Ah, we got our pork medallions stuffed with fruit this evening and it was perfection. The prix fixe menu is a real bargain and absolutely delicious. (two courses for 21.95 euros and three courses for 26.95 euros) We’ll miss this restaurant!"

I couldn't pick a favorite between the two and neither could my husband. We thoroughly enjoyed both our meals there. The owner was a delight and it gave us a chance to practice our French, a bonus on a trip to Ireland.

The Quay Cottage Restaurant

• Sailing and Boating

• AlisonCoghlan's Profile Photo

Dunnings: All Day Breakfast!

by AlisonCoghlan Written Oct 9, 2006

Dunnings is a great little place for breakfast on a sunday. When your head hurts from a big session in the pubs the night before, and all you can think of is a massive fry-up 'Full Irish' Breakfast, this is the only place I could find open.

Favorite Dish: They do a mini-brekkie which is only 5 euro and is a normal place's big brekkie, and then they do a regular brekkie which has EVERYTHING in it.
    A word of warning though - ask them for 1 teabag in your pot of tea. The last time we got a pot of tea for two and it had SIX tea bags in it!

• AlisonCoghlan's Profile Photo

Il Vulcano: Great little Italian

by AlisonCoghlan Written Sep 11, 2006

Member of the Ciao Italia - Worldwide association of the real Italian Restaurant, il Vulcao is a really laid back restaurant with an open kitchen serving great food and a lovely choice of wines from italy. The staff are attentive but not overly so, and the ambiance is nice - as it's somewhere you could go with friends, or where families would also be welcome.

It's a good idea also to book on a friday or saturday night, although you can drop in any other evening without a reservation.

Favorite Dish: everything's good! :)

Instant Answers: Westport

Comments

Westport Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Westport restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Westport sightseeing.