Monaghan Travel Guide

• Monaghan

Monaghan Things to Do

• DAO's Profile Photo

by DAO Updated Feb 1, 2013

I was working near Monahan one day when I decided to drive into the town and see what there was to see. When I came out of the Monaghan County Museum when I noticed this grey cat walking along the side of some cars and in the road. The cat took one look at me and rolled. Lovely little thing. I noticed that it had oily looking marks on it and that it could smell a snack I had in my bag – a sausage roll. The sausage element was quickly devoured. The cat rolled a few more times – then vanished!

I needed to return to my hotel across the border, but I thought I would see if the cat was still there the next week when I was working in the area again.

The next week duly arrived and I looked for the cat on the road. Nothing. Then I looked in a little courtyard nearby. Nothing. I called – and out came the cat! I make a hasty visit to the nearby shop and returned with some cat food and a bowl. The cat was very very hungry. That is when I managed to find the phone number for the Monaghan Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (MSPCA), I spoke to Sinead and she told me to drive to a local vet they use and get a cat cage. Also to ask the neighbours to make sure I was not about to catnap a family pet. I returned with the cat cage and went door to door. My cat looked a lot like the neighbourhood cat – so much so that one neighbour finally saw them at the same time and explained there was only 1 cat that was a pet there.

So off with my cat I went. The cat cried at first in the cage, but then just leaned forward and looked at me while I drove back to the vets. The MSPCA use a great local veterinary surgery to quarantine and examine the animals. They also get their vaccinations there. So I left and decided I would see the MSPCA for myself. When I arrived I met Lori – a fellow American. Lori was amazing. She explained he professional way in which the MSPCA is run, the fantastic care they give their cats and dogs and how they re-home animals needing love.

We walked through the dog areas first, then over to a barn that served as the cat shelter. I saw so many animals that were scarred, in need of nourishment and most of all – caring owners. The last time I visited they were hoping to get funding to revamp the cat shelter.

Lori and I also agreed on a name for my cat once the vet determined the sex. Lori rang me a few days later and explained that ‘Grace’ had been named and was already getting attention from several prospective new owners.

I cannot thank the MSPCA enough for the work they do. They and the vets were willing to even help me get Grace back to England if I could have kept her. I already have 2 rescue cats, so Grace would stay in Ireland.

PLEASE HELP THE MSPCA AND THE WORK THEY DO!!!!

They have a fantastic website where you can also donate to help other animals. I make a healthy donation while I was there to cover Grace’s vet’s bills. Also please see their website! It has several featured dogs and cats that are ready to join loving homes.

MSPCA Emyvale Shelter, Killydonagh, Co. Monaghan, Ireland
    Open: Mon - Sat from 1pm to 4pm (or by appointment)
    Phone: +( 353) 86-8262885 (Sinead), + (353) 86 8262956 (Lori)

GRACE Monaghan Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Monaghan Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Monaghan Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Monaghan Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
    • Safari
    • Travel with Pets

Monaghan Hotels

Monaghan Favorites

• by pizzador Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: take time to enjoy the speed of life
    and talk to the locals they are more than willing to help and guide you through the town and what to do and see.... a friendly place with a speed and unique history to match try castle leslie, rossmore park
    county museum, if your interested in farming look at the mushroom industry,poultry industry, furniture industry, engineering industry, try the local fishing lakes ,golf clubs, horse riding clubs, shooting clubs,
    excellent hotels leisure clubs 'four seasons' 'hillgrove hotel' 'lakeside hotel' 'slieve russel hotel' 10 great resturants and growing 30 different pubs some with great live music venues 'ikes' 'sumada' 'an poc fada' 'squealing pig '
    'terrys' Andys' local cimemas'
    ... and not to forget.......
    THE FAMOUS PIZZA DOR an amazing irish pizza experience
    the famous pizza hot is totaly unique..... good luck

Fondest memory: people and pizza dor that famous pizza hot .......

Instant Answers: Monaghan

Comments

Monaghan Travel Guide
Map of Monaghan