Birr Restaurants

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

The Thatch: Traditional Oirish Pub

by kit_mc Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Thatch, Crinkill

While waiting for the dratted tourist office to open, my father and I decided to gird ourselves with lunch. Having already eaten in Birr (at Dooley's on Emmet Square) my father was keen to try somewhere new and we'd already had a recommendation to try The Thatch, a little way out of Birr in a place called Crinkill.

The pub fancies itself as real traditional 'Oirish', which in many respects I suspect is fairly accurate. Well, they've got a 'James Joyce Award for authenticity apparently... Unfortunately we were seated in a fairly awkward position, so I'd advise asking to be seated as far away from the bar as possible.

The place gets fairly busy, so booking might be advised in the evening.

Favorite Dish: However, slightly disappointing seating arrangements aside, this palce turned up trumps with the food. For 9.50 euro, you can get an absolutely huge and really high quality afternoon roast. I had turkey and ham with stuffing and veggies, while my father had the, in my opinion better choice of roast pork.

Service was fine enough, although they were a little too eager to take away my father's plate, before he'd actually finished the meal. However, this place is worth visiting for the value of the food alone.

• Beer Tasting

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Spinners Bistro: Spinners Bistro

by mvtouring Written Nov 1, 2008

woollen mill accommodates the lounge area with french doors leading onto a raised decking area allowing guests to enjoy the magnificent Mediterranean style courtyard. In contrast to the lounge the subtle tones of creams and browns within the restaurant, create a comfortable and relaxed dining experience.

The individually priced menu provides exceptional choice and variety. Our chef prides himself on sourcing prime local ingredients in-season and is keen to make dining as accessable as possible to everyone.

The food is complemented by a carefully selected and well balanced wine list comprising of wines from around the world at affordable prices.

Favorite Dish: They were not yet open when we got there, so unfortunately I was not able to sample their lovely food. The menu looked very good though

Instant Answers: Birr

Comments

Birr Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Birr restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Birr sightseeing.