Ballymote Nightlife

Donagh A. Tighe

Best Rated Nightlife in Ballymote

O'Hara Bar: Drink Close to Home

by happyhourkid Written Sep 14, 2006

This is a great nightlife option, especially if you are staying at the Coach House Hotel. O'Hara's Bar is part of the hotel. It is a modern pub that offers anything from sports-latent TV's or live music on varous nights.

Scully's Horseshoe Bar: Great for meeting with locals

Scully's Horseshoe Bar

On my last visit to Scully's I got a pretty interesting surprise. My family and I were having a few drinks and having a good time with some of the locals. From the onset when we walked in we clearly looked like out-of-towners but the locals grew curious of us-probably because seeing tourists in town is more rare than in other parts of Ireland. It was our first night in town on this trip. And after having about 3 pints with our new friends we were asked what we were doing in Ballymote of all places. When we told them our last name and said we were in to surprise family, two of the people we were drinking with were actually distant relatives of ours that we hadn't ever met before!

If you visit Scully's you might not be overly impressed as it's just a little pub. But for me, I'll always laugh when I think of it.

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

Donagh A. Tighe: A good spacious pub that also serves decent food.

Donagh A. Tighe

Donagh A. Tighe, right down the street from Scully's. This has always been a good place to hang out for a while and have a few drinks and can always be relied on to serve up some decent pub grub.

The last time I was there someone in my family ordered an Irish coffee. After the bartender said he didn't have creme handy, a very drunk local called him out and insisted that he still make the Irish coffee. In typical Irish fashion he exclaimed "These yanks didn't come all the way over here for your excuses!" He then got into a bickering match with the bartender, whom he obviously knew anyway as its such a small town. He was then denied further drinks and was asked to leave. He returned about 10 minutes later with a brown paper bag. He reached inside, pulled out a carton of creme he bought himself at the general store, and slammed it on the bar. He then said "Here's your excuse sorted for you. Now make the Yank her Irish Coffee!" This is why the Irish are the greatest walk of life on this earth!

The bartender called the owner, which coincidentally was his mother. She walked in visiblly upset, scolded him, barred him, and threatened to call the Garda if he didn't leave. We felt bad for him, so we looked for him in some of the other pubs to invite him to drink with us. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him since. But he gave us a story that me and my family laugh about to this day.

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

L. Hayden: A DIVE in a town full of them :)

L. Hayden

Another one of those places that aren't pretty to look at but you will have some memorable times drinking and getting to know the locals.

Excuse the picture. It was getting late and we were drinking like fish that night. As you can see, I was hanging on for dear life, and the photographer in this shot wasn't any more sober.

Gormley's: A little more festive

Gormley's

A good and more 'hip' place located roughly on the center of Main Street that attracts a younger but still mixed crowd. It is at the jonction of Grattan Street and is within a 1/2 block of the Coach House Hotel.

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

Fawlty Towers: A little more "sporty"

Fawlty Towers

Here's a place right on main street and within a few feet of Gormley's and Doddy's. The building is old fasioned by age, not by decor. If you want to shoot some billiards or snooker, this is the place in town to do so. Mostly a younger crowd is in here usually. It also offers a jukebox, which seems to be rare in Ballymote. And it even had plenty of Bruce and plenty of Dylan :)

Dress Code: Casual.

Doddy's: The Hottest Spot in Town

Doddy's

Doddy's is a pretty decent sized place but still gets crowded on the weekend. There's a mixed crowd in here, but it is mainly an 18-30 crowd. From talking to some of the people there it seems as though some people come down from Sligo town when they're looking for something a little different.

If you're looking for the most happening place in town this is probably it. The empty kegs in the front you see there were probably the damage WE did. This picture was taken the morning after our first night there the last time I was in Ballymote.

Instant Answers: Ballymote

Comments

Ballymote Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Ballymote nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ballymote sightseeing.