A Haunting Cemetery
The Carrowkeel Passage Tomb Cemetery is described in the Lonely Planet, but I doubt that the writers have ever actually gone to it.
It was the most eerie sightseeing that Connell and I did, and the most dangeorus - so this cemetery will also go into a "danger travel tip".
Off the highway, (going north to Sligo) the turn-off is barely visible, it's about 2 or 3 km to the actual gate, and then from the gate up the mountain is another 2 km of extremely rough terrain (for our little rental car at least!) - potholes, mud, slippery rocks, and "suicidal sheep" (Lonely Planet's very descriptive phrase).
Anyway, if one is adequately prepared to make the journey, the top of the mountain has spectacular views and the cairns are gigantic. Do this in good weather, and early enough on in the day that you don't have to worry about being trapped up here.
County Sligo Hotels
I had no problems with this hotel at all. It was clean, tidy, service was ok, good parking...more
Good for: Couples
Let me start this off by saying how great the view was. We had a balcony that over looked the river...more
Top County Sligo Hotels
- Sligo Hotels
- 161 Reviews - 301 Photos
- Drumcliff Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 29 Photos
- Ballymote Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 30 Photos
Explore the World
- Province of Quezon Hotels
- Subate Hotels
- San Luis Río Colorado Hotels
- Lago de Nicaragua Hotels
- Bognor Regis
- Baguio City Off The Beaten Path
- Dijon Off The Beaten Path
- Amarillo Off The Beaten Path
- Bonn Off The Beaten Path
- Province of Nova Scotia Off The Beaten Path
- Salem Off The Beaten Path
- Wilkes-Barre Off The Beaten Path
- Hurghada Off The Beaten Path
- Wollongong Off The Beaten Path
- Inle Lake Off The Beaten Path
- Kashgar Off The Beaten Path