A Haunting Cemetery
The Carrowkeel Passage Tomb Cemetery is described in the Lonely Planet, but I doubt that the writers have ever actually gone to it.
It was the most eerie sightseeing that Connell and I did, and the most dangeorus - so this cemetery will also go into a "danger travel tip".
Off the highway, (going north to Sligo) the turn-off is barely visible, it's about 2 or 3 km to the actual gate, and then from the gate up the mountain is another 2 km of extremely rough terrain (for our little rental car at least!) - potholes, mud, slippery rocks, and "suicidal sheep" (Lonely Planet's very descriptive phrase).
Anyway, if one is adequately prepared to make the journey, the top of the mountain has spectacular views and the cairns are gigantic. Do this in good weather, and early enough on in the day that you don't have to worry about being trapped up here.
County Sligo Hotels
WE have stayed at this super B&B a few times now and it truly is great value for money. Located...more
Good for: Couples
Let me start this off by saying how great the view was. We had a balcony that over looked the river...more
Top County Sligo Hotels
- Sligo Hotels
- 153 Reviews - 248 Photos
- Drumcliff Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 18 Photos
Explore the World
- Province of La Union Hotels
- Chelsea Heights Hotels
- Southampton Parish Hotels
- Cabrera Hotels
- Prenzlauer Berg
- Provincia de Coclé Off The Beaten Path
- Southampton Off The Beaten Path
- Wazemmes Market
- County Clare Off The Beaten Path
- Bremen Off The Beaten Path
- Malaysia Off The Beaten Path
- Bad Tölz Off The Beaten Path
- Amarante Off The Beaten Path
- Hastings Off The Beaten Path
- Kuala Lumpur Off The Beaten Path