Sligo Abbey, Sligo

4 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • Sligo Abey
    Sligo Abey
    by Goner
  • Moss covered sculptures
    Moss covered sculptures
    by Maryimelda
  • Church ceiling
    Church ceiling
    by Maryimelda
  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

    Sligo Abbey

    by Maryimelda Updated May 3, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Church
    4 more images

    The Baron of Offaly, Maurice Fitzgerald, founded the Dominican Friary in the 13th century. The Abbey has been destroyed by fire in 1414 and has been attacked and ravaged in both the Tyrone War in the 16th century and in the Ulster Uprising in 1641. The Friars vacated the abbey in the 17th Century and later on in the 1850s, it was restored by Lord Palmerston.

    It is known as The Abbey and guided tours are available. Photography is allowed inside. It is well worth a look to see some beautiful carvings of Gothic and Renaissance tomb sculpture. The High Altar was sculptured in the 15th century and is the only one of its kind to be found in any Irish Monastic church.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Goner's Profile Photo

    Ancient Sligo Abbey

    by Goner Updated Apr 4, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Sligo Abbey
    4 more images

    Like many Norman towns in Ireland, Sligo had an Abbey (Dominican Friary) and castle. The abbey was founded by Maurice Fitzgerald, the Chief Justice of Ireland, in 1252/3.
    It was destroyed by fire in 1414, rebuilt in its present form, then burned again in 1642 when everything valuable in it was destroyed. Much of the structure, including the choir, carved altar and cloisters remain.

    I thought it an imposing structure, just pulsating with ancient history.



    Open daily 10AM-6PM (last admission 5:15PM).
    Closed from mid-Dec until Feb..
    Adult:€2.10, Senior:€1.30, Student:€1.10, Family:€5.80, Group Rate:€1.30. edit as of 5/2008

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • Lyndra's Profile Photo

    Sligo Friary not Abbey!!!

    by Lyndra Written Jul 9, 2007

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Sligo Abbey is actually a Friary but it is called an Abbey. It was built in the middle of the 13th Century by Maurice Fitzgerald. It has Catholic graves dating back to the 14th Century. The remains are a good example of this type of religious building.
    It is very reasonable to visit the Abbey - costing the equivalent of £2 for adults.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Archeology
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Sligo Abbey

    by HORSCHECK Written Feb 25, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Sligo Abbey

    Sligo Abbey was originally built around 1253 as a Dominican Friary. The Abbey was badly damaged by fire in 1414, but afterwards rebulit. Though now a ruin, it was at that time regarded as one of the finest buildings in Ireland.

    Related to:
    • Adventure Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Sligo

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

101 travelers online now

Comments

Hotels Near Sligo Abbey
4.0 out of 5 stars
751 Opinions
0.3 miles away
Show Prices
2.5 out of 5 stars
8 Opinions
0.3 miles away
3.0 out of 5 stars
4 Opinions
0.3 miles away
Show Prices

View all Sligo hotels