Hillwalking Advice, Sligo

• Hillwalking Advice
    by kathycollins
  • Knocknera Mountain sligo

by slnarnwl Updated Oct 26, 2010

In the winter if you decide to climb be aware thats the mists roll in quickly and it becomes cold very quickly and when they come in you wont be able to get down the mountain easily. So it becomes dangerous very quickly.Just be careful and let someone know where you are going.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Mountain Climbing

• J.I.M's Profile Photo

Watch out for the sheep!

by J.I.M Written Jan 22, 2005

While we climbed Knocknarea we passed plenty of sheep, and though most of them simply ran off whenever we came close, some of them (the ones with the biggest horns) looked as if they were preparing to ram us and get us off of their land!
    In the end we managed to evade them okay, but be careful! Sheep can be more deadly than wolves!

Killer sheep
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• kathycollins's Profile Photo

Basic Hillwalking Advice

by kathycollins Written Sep 12, 2002

Leaving the cairn we debated the best route back to the car park. Both my friends thought the road looked like it curved around and would circle back to where we started. After walking for a while I became pretty sure that we should follow advice I'd garnered on previous hillwalks - DON'T assume that paths circled back! Most trails lead from point to point, not in loops, so to return to starting point you must retrace your route. Walking in the hills without very good maps, a compass, and water is a very unwise thing! Finally convincing my friends of this we returned along the same route.

Instant Answers: Sligo

Comments

Other Warnings and Dangers in Sligo