Carrick-on-Suir Travel Guide

Carrick-on-Suir Things to Do

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Sep 4, 2007

About four miles outside the town of Carrick on Suir, as you drive towards Clonmel, you will pass the most stunning thatched cottage you ever saw. This cottage is, in fact, the front of a major retail outlet called, alternately, Meadows & Byrne/Blarney Woollen Mills/Dove Hill Centre.

Anyway, this tip is about the cottage and not the shop. The cottage was, until a year or so ago, the restaurant part of this centre. Now it houses a men's clothing store.

The cottage itself is original and the exterior is preserved to perfection.

As the entrance to the entire complex is situated directly opposite it, it's not easy to take pics as it's very busy with traffic coming and going.

The Cottage
    • Photography
    • Architecture

Carrick-on-Suir Restaurants

by SabrinaSummerville Written Sep 5, 2008

I always recalled the Park Inn as being a terrific place for great food. When I stopped ff there last Sunday it was the first time in twelve years or so.

I was immediately taken aback by the fact that it is a true "pub" and not one of these places that has a drinking area and a fgood area. Memory had dulled this fact over time. I was bothered by the three flatscreen tv's that were showing soccer in all areas of the premises and I felt the beginnings of a headache from the noise.

When the waitress came to take our order I started to perk up - "Everthing is cooked straight from fresh" she said "we do nothing frozen here." This makes a big change from a lot of pub grub.

We waited over 45 minutes for the food to arrive but when it did I saw what we were waiting for. Everything was perfect. I had a t-bone steak that would have filled two men. I like it rare and not raw and that is what I got - just the right amount of blood dribbled out into the onions and mushrooms as I cut into the beef. This was served with a platter of fries and another with baked turnip and carrots. The veg had been seasoned with fresh herbs before they were roasted.

All five of us ordered something different and each and every one practically licked their plates.

I especialli loved my sisters baked supreme of chicken stuffed with gorgonzola and served with a mushroom and whiskey sauce.

Favorite Dish: If you are prepared to pay rsetaurant prices for pub surroundings, and if you can dull your ears to the sounds of the tv, you are in for a foodie treat at the Park Inn.

Well worth a visit.

by SabrinaSummerville Written Sep 7, 2007

From the very name of this place you know immediately that you're in great hands.

The restaurant is on the mezzanine floor overlooking the huge and attractive Dove Hill retail outlet. There's a large range of freshly made salads, paninis and sandwiches made to order, home cooked meals that vary in choices every day, scones, cakes, fancy coffees, cold drinks, and even wines.

There's a buffet style display where you order what you want and all hot dishes are delivered to your table.

The food is delicious and the place is always crowded with well-heeled shoppers surrounded by bags of mainly Irish designer products.

Service is fast and friendly.

Favorite Dish: Last time I was there I ordered a toasted "special" which was a ham, cheese, onion and tomato sandwich with a large selection of side salads. The salads I indulged in included feta cheese with sundried tomato, potato salad, waldorf salad, and grated carrot with raisins. All yummy.

• Women's Travel

• Carrick-on-Suir Hotels

0 Hotels in Carrick-on-Suir

Instant Answers: Carrick-on-Suir

Comments

Carrick-on-Suir Travel Guide
Map of Carrick-on-Suir