Unique Places in County Waterford

Grave Entrance
    by clunker
    Thirst Lesson in Irish....Guinness!
    Welcoming Outside...

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in County Waterford

• eandreev's Profile Photo

Duncannon Beach

by eandreev Written Feb 2, 2008

The broad, hard-packed sand on this extensive beach allows one to drive his car out onto the beach. We found ourselves there on a rather grey afternoon, so we had the whole beach to ourselves. The beach is overlooked by Duncannon Fort, which is open to the public.

• Beaches
    • Castles and Palaces

• sangietair's Profile Photo

Anyone for a swim...?

by sangietair Updated Jun 16, 2007

Born in a place surrounded by sea and mountains, for me, the sea means serenety and calm, the mountains mean life and peace. The week before I went on this trip, I met a girl on holiday from Dublin. Once she found out I was going to her home place and found out how passionate I am for being near the sea, she suggested I go to Brittas Bay. When we arrived we parked in the car park for 5E and walked along the dunes to this 5km stretch of beautiful white sand dunes and clean beach. The plan was to make a stop on our way down to Waterford and have lunch at Brittas Bay but... we didn't see a place where you could have something to eat or have a cup of coffee, so I would suggest, if you are thinking about going for the day you take some sandwiches with you and make the time to take it all in. It is a very picturesque place of natural beauty. As my friend Claire proudly mentioned, this beach won a European Union Blue Flag (the international emblem for the highest quality beach areas in Europe.) I couldn't agree more... ideal for swimming, providing it's warm or just go for it... take a walk and admire the wildlife species if lucky to see any and its delicate plants.

No doubt this is a very popular place for day tripping Dubliners etc., but I would not have known about it if it weren't for Claire. I imagine it would also get quite busy on good sunny days, so not sure if the parking would be a problem.

• Adventure Travel
    • Beaches

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

Dungarvan Castle

by sarahandgareth Updated Aug 4, 2004

Our slightly outdated guidebook described Dungarvan Castle as a pile of rotting and decrepitrocks. Naturally, we were then surprised when we arrived and found that we could take a guided tour.

An amazing amount of work has been done in the past few years to learn more about and preserve Dungarvan Castle. Nuch more remains to be done, but that only adds to the tour as you learn not only what it was like to live in the castle centuries ago, but also what efforts are being made to uncover more clues about the castle's history and life for its inhabitants.

Our guide was very enthusiastic and took great pride in the lavatory arrangements for the medieval castle!

Dungarvan Castle Wall

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

India in West Waterford

by sarahandgareth Written Jul 29, 2004

On our way to Mitchelstown, in Cork, we diverted down a side road to take in one of the area's most unusual sights. The Hindu-Gothic gatelodge to Dromana estate, located on the river Finisk, was built in the nineteenth century in honour of the marriage of a local landlord and member of parliament. First modelled in papier-mache, it was later replaced with a stone version. It is the only example in Ireland of this style of architecture, sometimes also known as the Brighton Pavilion style. It is, to say the least, an arresting sight in this setting!

The gatelodge is on the road towards Villierstown as you come from Cappoquin.

Hindu-Gothic Gate

County Waterford Hotels

• Granville Hotel

I wasn't too happy with this hotel for a number of reasons. It is billed as a "family hotel" Two...

• Park Hotel

1 Review - 1 Photo
Cappoquin Hotels
1 Review - 5 Photos

Instant Answers: County Waterford

Comments

County Waterford Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of County Waterford off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for County Waterford sightseeing.
Map of County Waterford