Tramore Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Tramore

Kids Paradise

by SabrinaSummerville Written Mar 17, 2009

The last bus home?

One of the "dangers" for adults is to bring a bunch of kids to Tramore for a day. I say "dangerous" with my tongue in my cheeck as the only danger it poses is to your poscket and your patience.

The reason for the danger is the enormous park full of Disney-like rides and amusements for little and big kids alike.

When I was growing up in the '70's the big ride to take was "the waltzers". That ride is still there but has long been overtaken by giant ferris wheels, water schutes, and various types of walls of death.

Last year, having forgotten what it was like, I agreed to take my chances on the bumper cars with some cousins from Wales. Well I was bumped and bruised and thrown about all over the place - but the kids adored it!!

Most of the rides cost about €2. Parents are allowed on monst of them to accompany a nervous charge. Then of course some of the rides are so scary that the parents themselves might need minding;-)

If you can be open minded and leave your guard down for a while, this could be some of the best fun you've had in years!!

• Theme Park Trips

Winkle Picking

by SabrinaSummerville Written Sep 7, 2007

Tramore beach is oe of the best places locally to pick winkles (or, as we always called them, peri-winkles). These are little sea snails that cling to the rocks and the rock pools that form when the tide goes out. They are delicious when cooked, served in warm milk and onion, and picked from the shell.

At least, my entire family tells me they're delicious but I can't handle them at all;-)

You will find plenty of them on the rocks to the right when facing the sea.

• Adventure Travel

On the Rocks

by SabrinaSummerville Written Sep 6, 2007

Fishing for Crabs on the Rocks

Walking the rocks to the side of what's known as the Ladies Bathing Place (old name, not so commonly used now) is something I did recently that I hadn't done for thirty years or more! I had my six year old nephew with me and he wanted to catch crabs, so off we went (me carrying his net and a shovel.....don't ask!).

It hadn't been planned, so I ended up tucking my ankle length dress into my undies (again, don't ask) and climbing the sometimes sharp and always winkle encrusted rocks. We thought we were in heaven. I was worse than the child, and we both squealed every time we saw a scuttling crab, or a flitting shrimp.

My Mum watched from a safe distance on the sand and carried a bucket, into which we piled seaweed, stones, shells, and about half a dozen crabs of various sizes.

The rocks are scattered with big and little pools where a treasure of sea life can be explored.

If you go prepared then you will bring waterproof shoes, a kidsize fishing net, and a little bucket. If you're not prepared, be ready to have pretty sore feet the next day.

Finally, a word of warning - be wary of the tide. You can forget time on the rocks and the waters will surround you before you know it!

• Fishing

• Surfing

by stevendaly83 Written Nov 15, 2006

tramore is one of irelands best surfing spots, with over 5km of beach the bay attracts some great waves for surfing. although only a beginner the very helpful tbay surf shop are great to asist with lessons, surf board hire and wetsuit hire they have more info on their website www.surftbay.com. apart from that the nightlife at the weekend is as good as anywhere with the vic pub, murphs and the shanty all good watering holes!!

• Surfing

• Moloney's Profile Photo

Rat Killing and Pig Wrestling

by Moloney Updated Apr 21, 2005

Tramore has been described variously as "the Serbia of the South" and "a Godless land to be avoided at all costs" (the latter quote is usually attributed to the medieval chronicler, Malachy of Dunstable. I'm not sure about the origin of the former. Mate of mine, probably)

As a native of Tramore I am natrually keen to dispel these negative images. They may not be entirely without foundation but Tramore certainly has more to offer than its tarnished reputation would suggest.

For a start, in spite of the very visible prevalence of a certain unsophisticated brand of tourism the town has retained an attractive appearance of the Victorian-era "watering hole" (yeah yeah, okay, joke's over) The town is built on a hill and as such has a terraced structure that give it an imposing sense of grandeur...ah why am I doing this??

F*** that. Go to the Vic (Victoria) pub on a Saturday night for a few pints and after closing time, go to The Baldy Man bar/nightclub, it's only a fiver in. In the summer the upstairs area resembles a first-communion celebration bash: a heady mix of the good, the patently under-age and the barely legal.

Then there's the beach. All three miles of it. It's worth walking from the town up to the 19th century Doneraile walk for a nice view of Tramore bay also. Then walk along the cliff road for more of the same and you'll get to the Gillamene and Newtown cove bathing areas. The former still has the infamous feminist-baiting "No Women" sign up, presumably because of it's cultural value as a quaint anachronism.

And that's about it. You can get to Tramore v. easily from Waterford. Buses arrive and leave from Waterford Bus Station every half hour from noon till about 6 and every hour before and after then.

More information about Tramore available at http://members.lycos.co.uk/DannyMcNeive/ratkilling.htm

Good night and God Bless.

• Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking

• GuntherHK's Profile Photo

Fun-fair

by GuntherHK Written Oct 17, 2006

There is a permanent fun-fair in Tramore pointed especially for children.
    Anyway it is open till midnight and there is things to do for adults also.
    Cheap.

• Theme Park Trips

Instant Answers: Tramore

Comments

Tramore Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Tramore things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tramore sightseeing.