Know about this? Rate It!
Getting to Waterford from Cork cruise ship dock
OK lads, not bad advice but here's the deal from a Waterford person on all points raised:
1. The Waterford Crystal factory closed down over a year ago and most of the glass is now manufactured in Poland.
2. Two weeks ago a new visitor centre opened in the City Centre on the Mall. It is stunning and well worth a visit. Here you can see most of the things you used to be able to see in the old factory, including the cutting and blowing of glass.
3. Specially commissioned pieces of crystal are still made at this centre and not in Poland.
4. There is no way that you could include a trip to Waterford with one that is going to Kinsale and Blarney unless you were overnighting.
5. I would suggest a trip to Waterford via the almost equally stunning Jameson distillery in Midleton which is a town that you will pass en route to Waterford from Cork. I was there 2 weeks ago and will write a tip on it later today. Plan to spend about two hours there which will allow you to take in the old distillery tour and the whiskey tasting. Then drive on to Waterford which is a little over an hour from Midleton. After you have been to the Waterford Crystal centre, make time to go across the road to visit the original 10th century Reginald's Tower. Remember that Waterford is the oldest City in the British Isles and that tower marks part of the start of it all. It now houses a museum.
6. To get to Waterford either hire a car or else contact a local taxi company and agree a price with them. I can highly recommend the Waterford Family firm of Falconers. They have both a taxi company and a limo service and cater to visiting dignatories, weddings, and all major events as well as to the ordinary public. You can tell them that I (Gabrielle Dalton) recommended them.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Waterford Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Edinburgh Hotels
- Trieste Hotels
- Pulau Bintan
- Ouabache State Park Hotels
- Fort Tuthill Hotels