Athlone Restaurants

Front entrance
    The lovely gardens
    Kidneys in filo parcels

Most Recent Restaurants in Athlone

• Kin Khao, Athlone: Give it a miss!

by scanlanf Written Apr 6, 2009

Was very disappointed with this restaurant. I generally love thai and spicy food and have eaten it all over the world including Thailand but my husband and I did not enjoy this meal.

My fish salad starter looked nice but was too spicy to eat whereas my husbands chicken starter was completely bland.
    Our main courses were also too hot to even taste the flavours of the curries. Dessert was nice and things were beginning to pick up when after one mouthful of dessert the manager told us we would have to vacate our table in 5 minutes despite only being there 1 hour and 15 minutes!

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Glasson Village Restaurant: Superb Food in Cosy Setting

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Aug 9, 2008

The lovely gardens

Looking through restaurant guide books, this very pretty cottage style property reminded me of a very wonderful restaurant in Aruba called Papieamento. The meal in Aruba was divine, so I had to see if the Glasson Village Restaurant could live up to expectations - it did.

I found the cottage and gardens themselves to be very welcoming, and tables were set up outside for smokers to enjoy a cigarette between meals.

Inside there's a small bar and waiting area, but we decided to go straight to our table. We knew they needed it again for a second sitting, but in fairness they did not mention this to us once and we never felt rushed.

I started with pan friend lambs kidneys with garlic wrapped in the most featherweight filo pastry. There were four of these little bundles placed attractively on a plate of mustard and cream sauce and garnished with a lovely purple clover flower. I wanted to lick the plate it was so tasty.

Next followed a lovely, creamy seafood chowder which was redolent with the taste of the sea. I made a mental note never to have starter and soup in future as I was simply too full after this to properly enjoy my next course.

This consisted of a hot seafood platter. There was a stuffed oyster, many stuffed mussels, a king scallop, and large portions of salmon, cod, monkfish, sole, and seafood goujons. These were served with bowls of potatoes and vegetables that I simply couldn't fit in.

I had to leave room for dessert and opted for the pistachio and chocolate torte with a home made peach sorbet.

I pronounced the entire meal to be divine.

Favorite Dish: I would highly recommend this restaurant. It is very popular and has been in existance now for over 20 years. It's easy to see why.

As we waited for our taxi back to the hotel, we were served drinks compliments of the house. I was impressed as I had already paid my bill and left a tip.

Be sure to book in advance.

• Wine Tasting

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Wineport Lodge Restaurant: One of the Very Best Ireland has to Offer

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Aug 7, 2008

The tomato course

This is, perhaps, the best meal that I have ever eaten in an Irish restaurant.

It came well recommended from someone whose opinion I value, so I was glad that it more than lived up to reputation and recommendation.

The restaurant is built on the banks of Lough Ree and makes the best of its very lovely natural surroundings. Yachts and rivercraft tie up to the moorings here and hearty looking sailors transform into elegantly dressed diners, as others arrive by Bentley and Jaguar.

We arrived early by humble taxi as late lunchers sat in the gardens enjoying a drink and the last of the days sun. There was no rush on anybody. As the evening wore on lamps and open stoves were lit in the gardens to add light and heat.

I took a stroll alone in the gardens before dinner and breathed in the fresh, lakeside air. It gave me an appetite for the amazing meal to come.

Favorite Dish: I decided to try the tasting menu - it's something I like to do in a famous restaurant. It gives you a little notion of how they are all round.

I started with an amuse bouche of shredded duck with plum sauce - very Thai and very tasty.

Then came the gambas - a single proud gamba served with a little bunch of asparagus wrapped in pancetta. It was tasty, a little mouthful, but just enough with all that followed.

The next course was my favourite of all - pan fried foie gras with marinated strawberries. It was divine. Perfectly crisp foie gras outside, meltingly liquid inside. The marinated strawberries added a kick that was perfection itself.

There followed the most unusual course - the tomato plate. There were three cherry tomatoes marinated in I know not what, but the result was almost fizzy and rich; a roulade of tomato flesh stuffed with mozzarella; a glass of a tomato-type liqueur made from the dripped juices of over ripe tomatoes, vodka, and tobasco (kind of a culinary bloody Mary); and some basil pesto to finish.

The beef that followed was divine - just two pieces of succulent beef served very simply with rockett and bearnaise sauce.

The cheese course was, I felt, the let down. There were two gougere cheese puffs stuffes with some soft crumbly cheese with a seperate serving of chutney. The main reason it was a let down was because these little gougere treats are served with the pre dinner drinks at the bar.

Finally came the dessert - panacotta, pureed summer berries, and a pistachio coated dark chocolate tranche.

This meal choice is accompanied by an optional wine selection with a different wine for each course. I cannot recommend it highly enough as the wine pairings were great.

I also adored the pre dinner lemon martini.

• Wine Tasting

• edwis's Profile Photo

Best Thai in Ireland Award

by edwis Written Sep 18, 2007
    meal room at B&B Bastion St

photos from our trip......

Vinnie and Scott tell us of a Thai restaurant one block from the B&B that was awarded the 2007 best Thai restaurant in all of Ireland. We loved the place. Another restaurant was run by Romanians (who also came to Ireland for a better life) and we enjoyed a filet of Irish beef in a green peppercorn sauce and an appetizer of mushrooms in a garlic sauce there. Breakfast at Vinnie’s was an assortment of Irish breads (Irish Barm Brack, Fruit Soda, apricot and sesame), fruits, marmalades and cereals.

“The Taco Shop”

We stopped at a trendy, chrome and glass upscale bistro overlooking the Shannon. While we were having wine and mussels, we notice that the menu has a page of Polish food items such as pierogi and golabki, and learn that the waiter and all the staff are from Poland. They come here for a “better life.” The mussels in a wine broth were the best (and largest) we have ever eaten, including those in Brussels.

I ask the Polish waitress where in town we can find out about going on a river cruise, which we read about. She tells me we have to go to the Taco Shop, where they know all about that stuff. I repeated it back to her, “we go to the taco shop, right?” The next day we are strolling along the river and come upon a Bait & Tackle Shop and it dawns on us, Taco = Tackle. We found the river cruise.

Instant Answers: Athlone

Comments

Athlone Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Athlone restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Athlone sightseeing.