Wexford Restaurants

Rustic interior

Best Rated Restaurants in Wexford

Templars Inn: Warmly Welcoming

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Nov 17, 2009

Templar's Inn is a great little country hostelry that I've been visiting on and off for twenty years or more. It has changed hands several times, and the quality waxes and wanes with the various owners.

As at November 2009, the place is onnce again a real little gem.

We arrived en famille on a wild and blustery November Sunday. Having spent several hours climbing the rock face by the sea and watching the waves, we were delighted to be warmly welcomed by the lady proprietor as we pulled up chairs at a table beside a cosily burning log fire in a big range against one wall.

One of the most appealing things about Templars is the rough and ready rustic decor. People want a good old Irish country pub, and that's what you get here, right down to the old china teapot atop the range and the wooden framed mirror above the mantel.

A pile of children's toys occupies one corner close to the fire and our little girl immediately made friends with Paddington Bear and went about looking for a change of clothes for her cuddly new pal.

The setting is of a typical Irish pub with Beamed ceilings, great views of the Hook Peninsula and ruins of a pretty Church which was constructed by the Knights Templar. There's ample decking outside which allows outdoor drinking on sunny days and makes the best of the terrific views available. There's also tons of parking. One positive improvement that I immediately noticed was the pretty appearance of potted plants, clematis, and climbing roses that now abound outside the premises.

Drinks appeared very quickly and were followed by the home cooked food that we ordered from the menu. I opted for the seafood chowder.

Favorite Dish: Oh that chowder was really great. Like a very thick fish stew with chunks of salmon and cod and mussels and smoked haddock. The soup was served with a very nice brown bread and butter.

My companions ordered a variety of dishes to include very tasty chicken wings, scampi and fries, and kids meals of pasta and another of chicken nuggets. All pronounced their food as most enjoyable.

We sat and chatted and watched a match on the big screen tv. We felt so much at home that we didn't want to venture out into the cold. The kids were really interested in the very mysterioous history of the area, and so the lady of the house gave them some information that she had printed out for other enquirees.

We'll be back!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Le Tire Bouchon: Cozy French bistro

by Dabs Updated Aug 24, 2009

Creme brulee with corkscrew design

Le Tire Bouchon (French for corkscrew) is a lovely French bistro along the main shopping street in Wexford, we decided to go here for dinner based on good marks on Menu Pages. We didn't have a reservation but we stopped by earlier in the afternoon and made one at the bar for that evening, the restaurant was busy but not crowded but it was a Tuesday night.

Favorite Dish: We opted to do the 5 course set price menu for 23.95€ per person, offered Sunday-Thursday night, which included a choice of starter, main, dessert, sorbet and a glass of wine plus tea or coffee. I started off with mussels in garlic wine sauce, followed by a ribeye with green peppercorn sauce and finished with creme brulee, all of it was very good.

Prix fixe dinner for 2 was €47.90 with no additional beverages, you could obviously spend a lot more if you get a bottle of wine

• Templars Inn: Templars Inn Lovely Homely Place

by joycelet Written Aug 12, 2008

This is a lovely homely restaurant/ pub in a fabulous location overlooking the sea near Hook Head and the light house.

The food is locally produced with a lot of seafood on the menu. The service is always very friendly and efficient and prices very reasonable.

This is a great place to bring the family as children are always made to feel very welcome.

Favorite Dish: One of the best dishes is the fish and chips. It may sound simple but the portions are enormous and only fresh fish is used.

• Beer Tasting

Dunbrody House: Award Winning Food in Delightful Setting

by SabrinaSummerville Written May 3, 2006

The Lovely Gardens of Dunbrody House

Dunbrody House Hotel and Restaurant is a truly magical place to dine.

It's situated about a mile uphill from the Ballyhack car ferry port, just outside the village of Arthurstown, and is reached through discrete ornate gates. A winding drive opens to a beautiful old manor-type house, which hosts the hotel and restaurant, and the latest addition - a Molton brown spa. The hotel itself is situated on 200 acres of parkland and is a wonderful place for a pre- or post-prandial stroll.

The restaurant is award-winning and the wine list would please the most discerning sommellier.

The restaurant was recently voted Restaurant of the Year 2004 by the Bushmills Guide. It was also awarded Breakfast of the Year 2004 by the Jameson Guide and 3 RAC Dining Awards. The Harvest Room at Dunbrody has also been voted "Regional Restaurant of the Year" from Food & Wine Magazine who also voted Kevin Dundon "Regional Chef of the Year" in 2004.

The dining room is stately, without being overbearing. The atmosphere is one of dining in a bright and cheerful grand family home. Bright and airy french doors lead off the room at a number of points, and on a nice day these are thrown open to the gardens. I love to take my after dinner drinks or coffees out to the tables in the garden to rest in the warm sunshine and breathe in the flower scented air.

The food is, as you might expect, just gorgeous. A number of the dishes are presented on the menu as quite ordinary, but the flavours and combinations of tastes belie this very ordinariness.

Of course, it's silver service with crisp white linen and tall vases of fresh flowers. The crystal chandeliers overhead add further brightness to this airy place.

Favorite Dish: I like everything, and the chef does his best to use local produce. They grow a lot of the vegetables and herbs on site so you know you are getting the best and freshest produce available.

The Hotel also boasts a world renowned cookery school.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

Reeds: Food with a View

by SabrinaSummerville Written Oct 14, 2006

Table with a View

Reeds is the name given to the main restaurant in Wexford's Ferrycarrig hotel. I have eaten there on a number of occasions over the past ten years or more and I have never had a meal that was less than excellent.

The restaurant occupies a large riverfront wing of the ground floor of this hotel. All tables command some view of this spectacular scenery.

When I most recently ate there in October 2006 we were given a large corner table to seat the two of us. Our table was at a ninety degree angle meeting of two walls of windows so that we had the best possible benefit of the view.

The decor is soft and cool - lots of silk drapes in shades of silver and the palest gold with high ceilings. The furnishing is in light wood and tables are set comfortably far apart from each other.

Service was quick and very pleasant and the menu was, as usual, very varied and with quite a few surprises. The hotel uses its best endeavours to source local produce and the names of some of the local farmers and market gardeners are used in the descriptions of dishes on the menu e.g. Paudeen O Griofain's finest rhubarb tartlet.....and so on.

Favorite Dish: The food in this hotel is outstanding and not what most people would expect from hotel food. I have always found a slight Asian influence on the menu which has now mellowed into the use of Asian flavourings in "ordinary" dishes.

I started with a carpaccio of local beef served with grilled king prawns and a very nice salad. The serving was a little small, but this was just as well as my main course was enormous. That consisted of a pasta dish of garganelle pasta with the lightest cream and dill sauce topped with firm but delicate pieces of monkfish, succulent king scallops, and yet more king prawns. Mange tous and baby roast cherry tomatoes added colour. Two side dishes contained, respectively, new potatoes roasted in their skins and roast mediterranean vegetables (red and yellow peppers, red onion, parsnips and carrots).

My friend started with a nice home made vegetable soup with a swirl of cream (I tasted it and thought there was a little too much broccoli in it for balance) and followed that with a rack of lamb. Three large juicy lamb chops graced the plate and again there was a big serving of vegetables.

I didn't have space in my tummy for dessert, but I had to have one as everything else had been so good. I chose a rather amazing mille feuille of jaffa orange chocolate mousse and tuile with a tart orange glaze. It was divine. Although the menu didn't say it, I'd swear it was laced with some strong orange liqueur.

The bill totalled Euro 100 for two which included a gin and tonic, two glasses of wine, litre of sparkling water, and coffee. Terrific value.

Sunday lunch provides a cheaper option and children are more than welcomed here. I would advise reservations, especially for the Sunday lunch.

• Luxury Travel

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

Nevilles: Huge meals

by ettenaj Updated May 15, 2009

We took mum out for a birthday meal, and was pleasantly suprised at the meal we got for the price.

Favorite Dish: Mum had fish and chips and got TWO huge pieces of fish, I had chicken tenders and they were lovely. Everyone enjoyed their meals, highly recommended, also children friendly.

• Heavens Above: Excellent Irish Hospitailty

by ChopperChimp Updated Sep 23, 2005

This Restaurant is situated on the top floor above a pub called "The Sky and Ground".
    The pub seems fairly traditional Irish, there's musicians, Guiness, friendly staff, nice atmosphere.
    I was there for a business trip, all out for a meal.
    What they do is bring everyones food out, cover with silver domes, then do the big reveal at once for full effect.
    Very Nice.

• Business Travel

• Jeanlyon's Profile Photo

Sam's Place: Warm welcome

by Jeanlyon Written Feb 25, 2006

Sam's Place was a small pub with a great atmosphere. The owner is a famous racehorse trainer and there are wonderful pictures on the walls. We had coffee and a toasted sandwich and it was very reasonably priced. The couple near us had a large lunch and it looked fantastic. A friendly warm welcome as in everywhere we went in ireland.

• saulypants's Profile Photo

Mange 2: Good food! Good Service

by saulypants Written Aug 24, 2005

We got a great bite to eat in this little eater. It's small but the service and the food was good. average cost of a main course was about the 20Euro mark which is average if you like good food at a reasonable price.

• The Centenary Stores: Live Music and Sunday Lunch

by Mintyfellow Written Jul 8, 2004
    The Centenary Stores

A great spot for lunch, table service, good portions. Sunday lunchtime features a regular traditional Irish music session.

Favorite Dish: Try the chowder with soda bread - it's filling - you won't need a main course.

• Taste Restaurant Wexford: Lovely setting, great service, delicious food!

by pjmurphy Written Aug 3, 2010

The first thing which strikes you when you visit Taste is the picturesque surroundings, overlooked by the historical ruins of Selskar Abbey, and just a stroll from the Westgate Heritage Centre.

On our last visit it was a gorgeous summers day, so we dined in the lovely outdoor dining garden. Our orders were taken quickly ( once we'd discussed the merits of the starters and main courses with the helpful waiter ).

My daughter skipped the starters, but had the vegetarian risotto as a main course - I had a taste, it was delicious! I had the black pudding & baby potato salad ( a favourite ) for starter and the breaded Lemon Sole gougons for main, cooked just right. Portions were generous for a lunch menu, so I passed on the dessert. My daugher had the Orange & Hazelnut parfait in butterscotch sauce which looked yummy, as she confirmed.

We finished with creamy cappucinos, while we relaxed and admired the historic views to one side, and the bustling Main Street to the other. The bill came to just under EUR36.

I would recommend Taste to tourist and local alike, for it's location, service and the quality of the food.

Favorite Dish: The warm black pudding and baby potato salad is a fabulous starter and is pretty much becoming a signature dish at Taste. Served with a cracked pepper aoili and caramelized onions, it has a great variety of tastes to get the gastric juices flowing for the rest of the meal.

• Beaches
    • Fishing

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Danby Lodge: Danby Lodge

by orlikins Written May 29, 2006

It is an elegant white old lodge, which has also been converted into a hotel. It seems to be very popular with local families too.

Favorite Dish: I had my first ever bowl of seafood chowder - YUM!! :) I also had a good old traditional irish Turkey & Ham with stuffing and the usual veggies.

• Heavens Above (upstairs at The Sky and The Ground: Food for all tastes, good value and great service

by Mintyfellow Written Jul 8, 2004

I used to eat here a lot. I don't recall what I ate or what the wallpaper is like, but it's good value for money and the food and service were always first rate.

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

horse asnd hounds: Cheap and Cheerful

by ettenaj Written Jul 24, 2006

The Pub

I had a great pasta dish, my sister had a nice chicken and ham dish, good service and very quick to serve.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Whitford House Hotel: Yummy seafood

by orlikins Written Sep 24, 2002

Last year we treated ourselved to a slapup meal in the Whitford, about 5 miles outside Wexford town

Favorite Dish: I recall having monkfish for the first time there, it was really chunky and lush. :)

Instant Answers: Wexford

Comments

Wexford Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Wexford restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Wexford sightseeing.