Connemara, Ireland

Know about this? Rate It!

Kylmore Abbey in County Galway
    by gaelicgirl62
    Colm's cove
    by sabsi
  • gaelicgirl62's Profile Photo

Pristine towns and spectacular scenery

by gaelicgirl62 Written Aug 3, 2005

Favorite thing: I would probably take someone else that's never been to Ireland to the Western part. It is a favorite amoung even the Irish to holiday in. The hills of Connemara, the hiking/biking trails/the Burren, the neat little towns that one can walk around within about an hour's time, and feel pretty safe! So much to do and see in Ireland. And a visit to the Emerald Isle wouldn't be complete without having the best Guinness and raw oysters from Galway at Moran's Oyster Cottage!!

Fondest memory: I remember MOST the way the raw oysters tasted, cold and salty from the Atlantic/Galway region. Being from New Orleans, I eat raw oysters often here, but these oysters were INTENSE in flavor and needed nothing on them. Down them with a pint of Guinness and I was in heaven! I didn't eat New Orleans oysters for about a year after my visit to Ireland because their oysters ruined me for any others!

Kylmore Abbey in County Galway
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• Connemara Memories

by sabsi Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: My boyfriend and I were driving along a main street somewhere in Connemara. There were kids everywhere who were sent to the Gaeltacht regions for the summer to learn Irish. Colm told me about his two summers somewhere in Co. Galway. After a while he said 'My school looked like this school --- wait --- this WAS my school'. And he showed me where he lived then and his favourite little cove close to where his guest family lived. I'm sure no tourist has been here before me!

Colm's cove