What to pack for Ireland

Most Viewed What to Pack in Ireland

• eaglespirit's Profile Photo

by eaglespirit Updated Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: something light - a light backpack, a little duffel bag

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Make sure you bring warm clothing! I made a mistake and only brought short sleeved shirts, maybe one warm shirt. Buying warm shirts/sweaters are not cheap in Ireland, especially in tourist shops! I was forced to pay 50 Euros for a warm shirt because I only had one!

Photo Equipment: Make sure you bring extra batteries, finding batteries to buy can be difficult and more expensive than you're used to. A waterproof camera is a great idea, especially when you never know when it's going to rain. (I can't count how many pictures I have with waterspots on them from rain!!!)

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: bring warm clothing!!! and a raincoat! waterproof bags

• CptKangaroo's Profile Photo

by CptKangaroo Updated Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Really, be prepared for rain. Expect showers almost every day when not travelling in mid-summer, but that's not to bad if you are prepared for it! It's quiet fine walking through rainy, foggy hills if you're dry under your clothes. But it's no fun walking in soaking wet jeans and sneakers, even on shorter trips.
    Remember to protect your backpack from the rain, too.

Photo Equipment: Get a film with at least speed 400, because anything less will not give you the real colors (mostly slight variations in green shades) and that would be a shame!

• clairo's Profile Photo

by clairo Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It really does rain alot, especially in the winter months. There is mud everywhere. So do bring good walking shoes. Most people dress casual, and it is a poor country, so shiny, new desginer clothes will definatly stand out.

by IrishSean Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: When travelling to Ireland, make sure to pack rain gear. Irish weather is very unpredictable except that you are likely see some rain during your visit here.
    Also bring a pair of comfortable walking shoes as the best way to see the country side and many of it sights is by foot.

• haimee's Profile Photo

by haimee Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Don't forget your rain gear! It was mostly sunny and fairly warm during my stay in July but a raincoat or umbrella was needed from time to time. I wouldn't reccomend flip-flops, though I wear them all of the time. The one day it really poured I was wearing my flops and slipped down a grassy hill....thankfully no one saw me but a more sensible pair of shoes might have helped my tracking and kept my toes much warmer and drier.

• enorin78's Profile Photo

by enorin78 Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: I took a medium size pack along with a back pack. It was really heavy, I learned what not to bring! (like homework!)

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I wore my tennis shoes every day. Definetly bring a warm jacket, hat, and mittens if you go during the colder months. It was freezing by the ocean.

Photo Equipment: If you have a telephoto lens, bring it.

Miscellaneous: THERE ARE NO CASH MACHINES IN THE SMALL TOWNS! we made it by charging as much as we could!

• Mandy23's Profile Photo

by Mandy23 Updated Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We were there in summer and experienced a few times sunshine, wind and rain on the same day, so you could pack a bit of everything ;-) rain gear, t-shirts, a light jacket if the evening turns cold etc

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

by Sunshine64 Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: I was thinking about carrying on all my bags, but after the distance I had to travel when changing planes in London (Heathrow), I'm glad I checked. I did carry on a backpack with my 'essentials'

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The weather was exceptionally nice in Ireland, but it did rain a bit, and I was glad I had my waterproof hiking jacket! Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

by kmifflin Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The usual. Prepare for some rain. Have a waterproof coat with a hat...that hepled me out. We actually had wonderful weather, but the rain still makes it appearance. We even got snow the last day. So an umbrella is nice too.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Nothing out of the ordinary.

Photo Equipment: As much film as you can handle!!! Or better yet, buy a digital camera!

Miscellaneous: A Michelen map was very nice.

We had two books with us that were pretty handy. I'll find those names for you later.

• kalipa44's Profile Photo

by kalipa44 Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Waterproof clothing, in case of rain :)

Photo Equipment: Readily available everywhere. There are some very good specialists photography shops in all the main towns

Miscellaneous: Your smile. It will be returned to you a thousand times.

by John_Caro Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Nothing Special

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good hiking shoes and rain gear

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Nothing special

Photo Equipment: No problems, maybe a set of good lenses

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: It rains a lot on the West coast. There are little camping sites, so you are better of staying in rellatively cheap Bed and breakfasts. The are even in the most remote parts of the Island. So basicly everywere.

Miscellaneous: Creditcards, Vitamin Supplements, the food is generally fat and not very nutricious

• tanjake's Profile Photo

by tanjake Written Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Softy day, windy day! Listen or read the weather forecasts, allways! Be aware that the weather can change really quickly. Fleeces, walking shoes, rainproof jacket(s), ...On this picture you see me, soaked...

by temaj923 Updated Aug 25, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Layer, layer, layer! I would recommend a hooded rain coat so you don't have to fool with an umbrella--showers tended to be short and sweet. Visiting in July the days warmed up but cooled down significantly at night.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Leave the curling iron and hair dryer at home..pack a hat and hair ties instead.

• dchamney1's Profile Photo

by dchamney1 Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: We found that one suitcase and one carry-on bag was more than enough for each of us for a 2 week stay. You can save on space in your baggage by washing out your undies and socks in the evening and laying them on the radiator to dry. When the B&B turns the heat on in the morning most items laying on the rad dry rather quickly.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: although we didn't see much rain on our stay we are sure that this is not normally the case.
    Be sure to pack a good packable raincoat and waterproof boots or shoes as many sites involve a lot of outdoor walking.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: We wish we would have brought our own facecloth as most B&Bs don't supply anything smaller than a towel for washing. we are used to washing up and showering with a facecloth and found this to be a minor incovenience.

Photo Equipment: Bring whatever gear you like but be advised that many sites will not allow photos to be taken inside and that many more do not allow the bright lights accompanying movie cameras.
    Buy your film at home as it is expensive in Ireland.

Miscellaneous: A compass actually came in handy on this road trip as we often got turned around on the twisty roads and thaought we were travelling a different direction than we actually were.

by kc50down Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Medium size upright wheeled bag. If you are taking a car make sure you get one with a trunk and place everything in it. If you are staying at B&B's remember you have to carry your own luggage and most B&B's have steps. Don't take more than you can carry!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Loghtweight jacket. We have gone from sunny to hail and back again all in one day in one location. Casual dress is accepted everywhere.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Towel wipes and basic first aid kit.

Ireland Hotels

88 Reviews - 234 Photos
Westport Hotels
51 Reviews - 82 Photos

Instant Answers: Ireland

Comments

Ireland What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Ireland what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ireland sightseeing.
Map of Ireland