Places to eat in Ireland

by Maryimelda

Most Viewed Restaurants in Ireland

ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT: YOU CAN DO BETTER - DUBLIN

by DAO Written Aug 9, 2014

The Arlington Hotel (O Connell Bridge) has a large restaurant and bar in Temple Bar. They advertise great Irish Food, etc. I joined another VT member for lunch here and was a bit disappointed. My beer, an O’Hara’s Stout, was the star of the show. Actually several were. Followed up with some Jameson Whiskey’s. OK, no it was not a liquid lunch. We ordered lasagne and Shepherd’s Pie. They were somewhere between ok and a bit below average. In an area with some amazing restaurants and not-so amazing, this is in the 2nd category. Drink here, watch sports here, eat elsewhere.

They do offer ‘Our World Famous Celtic Nights Traditional Live Irish Music & Dancing Show - 7 nights’. You get a 3 course choice evening meal FROM €33.95 per person. Or you could just go and see it for free with less costly food at the Old Storehouse. Please see my restaurant review for the Old Sotorhouse Old Storehouse!

Favorite Dish:

• Several bottles of O’Hara’s Irish Stout
    • Jameson Irish Whiskey on ice

ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT - DUBLIN ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT - DUBLIN ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT - DUBLIN ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT - DUBLIN ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT - DUBLIN
    • Gay and Lesbian

THE OLD STOREHOUSE - DUBLIN: THE PLACE FOR MUSIC

by DAO Written Aug 9, 2014

I have to give the Old Storehouse top marks – for the free live music. I absolutely enjoyed the amazingly talented bands I listed to as I ate. Absolutely not a place to miss. OK, the bad part is that the food and beer is average at best. I had a beef stew made with Guinness. It was slightly burned. Ask for an Irish beer or stout and you get blank looks. Heineken anyone? I truly cannot get my head around this. The Old Storehouse is just that. A very old stone warehouse that is a delightful cavernous atmosphere and it’s certainly lively. They offer fantastic live music 7 days a week and it’s all free. My suggestion? Have a burger or just a snack and a European beer while you enjoy some traditional (and modern) Irish music. Skip the stew….

THE OLD STOREHOUSE - DUBLIN THE OLD STOREHOUSE - DUBLIN THE OLD STOREHOUSE - DUBLIN THE OLD STOREHOUSE - DUBLIN THE OLD STOREHOUSE - DUBLIN
    • Music
    • Adventure Travel

CAPTAIN AMERICAS: DUBLIN’S ORIGINAL BURGER

by DAO Written Aug 9, 2014

Captain Americas is proud to claim that they brought the original hamburger to Ireland back in December 1971. Since then they have managed to accumulate all sorts of items from famous people so in some ways it looks a little like a Hard Rock Café when you are walking up the stairs. Their memorabilia includes items from U2, Debbie Harry and David Bowie and Green Day. They do serve some delicious food including good steaks. You may want to pop in to book a reservation for any evening meals as they do get very busy at night. At lunchtime you will have the place to yourself. The only sad thing is that they no longer make a Shamrock in your pint of Guinness. They used to, but this seems to have stopped. Their Guinness is still nice and cold and poured correctly at least. This is a great option if you want a bit of atmosphere and fancy some tasty American food.

Open 7 days a week
    Monday – Saturday 12:00 - 22:00, Sunday 12:00 - 21:30

CAPTAIN AMERICAS - DUBLIN CAPTAIN AMERICAS - DUBLIN CAPTAIN AMERICAS - DUBLIN CAPTAIN AMERICAS - DUBLIN CAPTAIN AMERICAS - DUBLIN
    • Beer Tasting

THE HOT STOVE: BORING IN DUBLIN

by DAO Written Jul 31, 2014

I happened upon this upscale, ‘Modern Irish’ Cuisine restaurant by accident. It is in the basement of Dublin’s Original Georgian Square, Parnell Square West. It is just around the corner from The Garden of Remembrance. Inside is more modern and bland that you would imagine give the name. There is an old hot stove happily burning wood in one of the 2 dining rooms. I was sat in the blander of the 2. Service was polite and professional, but the place lacked any atmosphere at all. The menu was so limited and unappealing; I didn’t even have a starter. For these prices you should see things more appealing than Pigeon and Foie Gras. I couldn’t even really see much in the way of ‘Irish’ dishes and had the 10 oz Irish Ribeye (25 euro). I have to say it was gorgeous and so was the bottle of wine. It was the wrong bottle of wine and there was a lengthy discussion when the bill came. Lengthy.

All in all, I would rather look for something a lot more ‘Irish’ than this. This just did not capture my imagination. And drinks are exceptionally expensive.

Sunday and Monday – Closed
    Tuesday – Thursday – 12:00 PM – 2.30 PM, 5.30 PM – 9.30 PM
    Friday – 12:00 PM – 2:30 PM, 5:30 PM – 10:00 PM
    Saturday – 5:30 PM – 10:00 PM

THE HOT STOVE - DUBLIN THE HOT STOVE - DUBLIN THE HOT STOVE - DUBLIN THE HOT STOVE - DUBLIN THE HOT STOVE - DUBLIN
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Ashdoon Bar: Great Bar Food

by Maryimelda Written Jul 25, 2014

Ashdoon Bar is part of the Abbey Hotel which can be found in The Diamond in Donegal Town.
    It's a great place for lunch with good food, reasonable prices and great service given with a smile.
    The location right in the centre of busy Donegal Town makes it a great choice when you are looking for a break from shopping and sightseeing.

Favorite Dish: I was on a quest to find the best seafood chowder in all of Ireland and this one would certainly be up there with the best of them. Served with fresh soda bread. Ingrid is a great lover of mussels and though this serve was quite different from the hot mussels served in a pot, she seemed to be happy anyway.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

GALLAGHER’S BOXTY HOUSE: TOTALLY (DELICIOUS) IRISH

by DAO Written Jul 6, 2014

If you are in Dublin, this is a MUST eat whether it is for lunch or dinner. This is Modern Irish Cuisine at its best. OK, so what is a Boxty? Boxties are the invention of Pádraic Óg Gallagher, a noted expert on potatoes (really). He developed 3 kinds of originally in Leitrim and they can be found in the border counties of Leitrim, Cavan and Fermanagh. And here in Dublin! Before I explain the 3 types of Boxty, let me just tell you how nice my experience was. I was greeted by my server who was wearing the official uniform which states “Totally Irish” on the sleeve. I received a warm Irish greeting, was served a cold Murphy’s Stout and my order taken. What arrived was a delicious dish that tasted so good, I made sure the plate was absolutely clean. A real delight!

OK, the 3 kinds of Boxty and how there are prepared:

BOILED
    Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, kneaded into dumplings, simmered for 12 minutes, chilled and sautéed in a little butter. Served with a sauce of your choice.

BAKED
    Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, kneaded with pure Irish butter and lovingly baked in the oven. Delicious!

PANCAKE
    Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, made into a batter with fresh milk and slow cooked in a pan until golden brown.

Favorite Dish:

I had the super-delicious Chicken & Smoked Bacon Boxty €16.90. They describe it as ‘Free-range Irish Chicken Fillet in a Creamy Smoked Bacon & Leek Sauce, wrapped in a traditional Leitrim Boxty Pancake’. Please note the pancake is savoury (not sweet). I washed down this very filling dish with a cold Murphy’s Stout (recommended by me!).

Opening Hours:
    7 days a week
    12pm to 10.30pm (ish)

GALLAGHER���S BOXTY HOUSE - DUBLIN GALLAGHER���S BOXTY HOUSE - DUBLIN GALLAGHER���S BOXTY HOUSE - DUBLIN GALLAGHER���S BOXTY HOUSE - DUBLIN GALLAGHER���S BOXTY HOUSE - DUBLIN

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Eddie Rockets: Retro diner.....I must be in Kansas

by sourbugger Updated Mar 24, 2014

Eddie rockets is a fast food chain, but is little unusual in that it's restaurants try to capture the flavour of 1950's American Diners.

The seats are all red leather, the menu relies heavily on Hot dogs, Burgers and Ice cream and the Juke boxes play hits from the era. At least you get a choice of some sort.

The staff are young and enthusisatic, but unfortunately for a 'retro' restaurant the waitresses are not all 50's pin ups with roller skates and to-die-for skirts (stop getting carried away now sourbugger)

The food is not wildly inspiring but it is clear notch above the normal fast-food outlets with good sized portions and by the looks of it good quality ingredients.

The chain has almost twenty resturants in the Dublin area. You will also fins one or two in Galway and Limerick, and somewhat strangely, one in Gran Canaria. I think they might be poised to go worldwide soon.

UPDATE 2014 : due to some franchise argument some of the chain are now 'rockin' joes'

Favorite Dish: The foot-long Hot dog was a winner with me as the 'Mother of all hot-dogs' came with a generous supply of well cooked onions.

Gino's in Dublin: The best Italian Gelato in the city

by hopang Updated Sep 8, 2013

If you feel like having some dessert after your meals, Gino's is an excellent ice cream parlour for you. Gino's has the best ice cream available in the city of Dublin. There are two Gino's icecream shops in the city of Dublin. This one we patronised as depicted on our photographs is located at Henry Street. The other Gino's is located at the busy Grafton Street. If you read their website below, it seems that their website has not been updated. It says the location at Henry Street is coming soon!

Gino's homemade Italian Gelato is popular not only to the locals but also to foreign tourists as well. The queue to purchase italian gelato is always long as the price of icecream here is reasonable. One large scoop of small tub costs just €2.50, two scoops of regular tub costs £3.00 and the large tub with three scoops of your favourite icecream costs just €4.95. Large variety of flavours are available at Gino's such as vanilla, chocolate, ferrero rocker, fruit flavours especially strawberry, cherry and hazelnut. Our favourite icecream flavours were chocolates and fruit falvours. They also deal in pancakes, cheesecakes, fresh ground coffee and crepes. Icecream sounds good and tempting especially during the hot summer months, certainly mouth-watering when you pass by!

Gino's homemade Italian Gelato Gino's homemade Italian Gelato Beautiful lighting of Gino's Brightly coloured lights of Gino's Wide variety of Gino's homemade Italian Gelato

• hopang's Profile Photo

Mandarin House Restaurant, Dublin: One of the best Chinese restaurants in Dublin

by hopang Updated Sep 8, 2013

Mandarin House Restaurant at Parnell Street is probably one of the best Chinese restaurants in the city of Dublin, if not the best. It serves traditional Chinese cuisines. We have read a lot from the reviews in the internet and decided to try out this Chinese restaurant and we were not disappointed at all. Although they have a vast menu serving authentic Chinese cuisines especially beef, chicken, pork, seafood mainly fish and prawns, various soups and different kinds of fried vegetables, we opted for fried noodles Singapore style and Chinese large prawns fried rice. The noodles in Ireland generally (not only from this restaurant) are really fine and tasty unlike those available in Continental Europe. The portions served in the restaurant were really tasty to our liking and the portions were really large. You better eat with an empty stomach before coming to this restaurant. The price of food is reasonably cheap, certainly worth your money. The service is quick and we did not have to wait very long for our food to arrive. We had hot Chinese tea to quench our thirst.

The restaurant is quite small with not much fancy interior decorations compared to many other larger elegant Chinese restaurants in the city and the seating capacity can probably accommodate up to 30 diners at any one time. In our opinion we do not need a fancy restaurant to eat. The taste of the food is more important than the look. We highly recommend the Mandrain House Restaurant if you decide to have some Chinese food in the city of Dublin. Opening hours of the restaurant are between 12.00 noon and 12.00 midnight daily.

Mandarin House Restaurant in Dublin Tasty Singapore fried noodles Delicious prawns fried rice Large Chinese painting in the restaurant Some interior decorations in the restaurant

• hopang's Profile Photo

Advoca Café Restaurant, Powerscourt House, Wicklow: Excellent self service café restaurant

by hopang Updated Sep 8, 2013

Advoca Café and Restaurant located at Powerscourt House and Garden in Wicklow County certainly serves delicious food even though it is located quite far away from the city of Dublin. When you take a day trip with a guided tour from Dublin, the tour guide cum bus driver will almost certainly bring you to this café restaurant for lunch and coffee break. Nevertheless the food certainly did not disappoint us as they were tasty and excellent. The café restaurant has wide variety of hot and cold food to choose from and we opted for hot mushroom soup with hard local bread and a plate of cold fried salmon noodles. The noodles were certainly delicious even when eating cold. There are ample seating in the cafetaria as we opted to sit outdoor with fresh air and sun shade facing the beautiful Powerscourt garden. The price of food is certainly reasonable and does not cost a fortune.

Delicious cold fried salmon noodles Lot of food to choose from Great hot and cold food to choose Self-serving Avoca Caf�� and Restaurant Mushroom soup with local bread

Bewley's Café in Dublin: A fine theatre café bar restaurant

by hopang Updated Aug 31, 2013

Bewley's Café is one of the finest café/bar/restaurants in the city of Dublin. It is located somewhere in the middle along the busy Grafton Street. Second level even has a theatre with toilets at the basement. The interior of Bewley's Café has lots of lovely sculptures on the first floor as well as at the basement and is quite cosy. They serve breakfast, lunch as well as dinner. Bewley's Café is also famous for its coffee but we did not try its coffee. Opening hours of Bewley's Café are between 8.00 a.m and 10.00 p.m. daily. We had our dinner here before Riverdance show at the Gaiety Theatre nearby.

Favorite Dish: Our favourite dish in the café is the very tasty fish and chips. This is the best fish and chips we have eaten in Europe! It doesn't cost a fortune, it costs just €12.00 per plate. The deep french fries were excellent and were not too salty compared to many chips sold in other restaurants. The fish (battered Cod) was really crispy. We understand that Leo Burdock has the best fish and chips in town and the queue can be quite long. However we did not patronise that restaurant and we were really satisfied with the fish and chips we had here.

The delicious fish and chip Fish and chip for two Main entrance to Bewley's Caf�� in Dublin Interior of the Bewley's Caf�� Lovely sculptures inside Bewley's Caf��

• Bluedawg1968's Profile Photo

Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel: Favorite of the Locals...... You know it's good!

by Bluedawg1968 Updated May 15, 2012

The Hibernian Hotel has a classic feel, yet with Old World charm.

The menu includes chicken, fish, steak, lamb, and seafood. My friend, Dean highly recommends the Sheperd's Pie. Honestly, I can't remember what I had. But I do know it was good. (I didn't have a bad meal in Ireland)

Favorite Dish: Lunch ranges from 8-15 Euros.
    Dinner 15-24 Euros.

Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel

• janetmt's Profile Photo

The Bushmills Inn: Save your money for the distillery instead!

by janetmt Written Jul 29, 2011

On the advice of my evidently not so trusty guidebook, we decided to stop in for lunch at the Bushmills Inn on our way to the Giant's Causeway. The Inn is lovely and the decor nice - if a little dark. Service was also prompt and courteous. We ordered lunch and waited for quite a bit. At the time, we didn't mind since we has discovered that in Ireland this usually meant that our meals were fresh and 'home cooked'. In this case, we were sorely disapointed. We had ordered The Bushmills Burger. Every other Irish beef experience was great. This, however, was horrible. The burger was not fresh - in fact, I've had better frozen patties from my local grocery store. The final insult is when we got the bill. Clearly, Bushmills Inn does not have a clear sense of what should constitute a burger for 11.95 pounds sterling!

• janetmt's Profile Photo

Black Bull Inn: Fantastic atmostphere

by janetmt Written Jul 17, 2011

After meeting some locals who raved about the food at the Black Bull Inn, we decided to give it a try. The Inn is located in Drogheda which is a lovely little town about 40 minutes north of Dublin. At first we thought we would be turned away since the sign outside stated that children would not be allowed past 7pm, but once we went in we were greeted by friendly staff and seated promptly. The atmosphere was lovely - the place was filled with locals which was a nice break from some of the more touristy fare in Dublin. The menus offered a huge selection and covered everything from steak to lighter fare. Though we were the only ones in the place with children, we were treated very well. Our only complaint is that the tables were a little too small to have 'sides' show up on different plates.

Favorite Dish: While there are many jokes about the difficulty of getting a well prepared steak in Ireland, this was one place that cooked the steak perfectly. The steak sandwich is also very good.

• florry's Profile Photo

Cúl Gháirdín: Best Vegetarian Restaurant

by florry Written Jul 17, 2011

Cúl Gáirdín is a Wholefood Vegetarian Restaurant & Gallery. Check out the covered patio area, garden and marquee and upcoming surprise music gigs in the garden!The food is amazing, lovely Creps,Stir frys, specials, salads,cakes and more cakes.

Favorite Dish: I love the Cúl Gáirdín Salad,its massive with loads of lovely mix of salads, hummus, etc

Paddysday in Dingle

27 Reviews - 106 Photos
Cong Hotels
22 Reviews - 34 Photos

Instant Answers: Ireland

Comments

Ireland Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ireland restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ireland sightseeing.
Map of Ireland