Places to eat in Ireland

• Restaurants
    by yooperprof

Most Viewed Restaurants in Ireland

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Johnnie Fox's: Johnnie Fox's for fun and festivity!

by kymbanm Updated Sep 18, 2005

Its' best to go the the Hoolie night - reservtions are required :)

Great food, good local music, dancers on stage for a Riverdance-esque experience, and fellow diners are fun to watch :)

Though there were other tourists, we were outnumbered by the locals who sang to every pub song the band played, danced between the tables, and just simply had fun.

There are kitchsy things all over - hanging from the rafters, on the porch, there's even the ashes of an American who always wanted to go to JF's in a display.

The locals hang out here, and are friendly - did you know that the Irish love to talk to strangers more than I?

Favorite Dish: Get the clams as your apetizer! This is the largest order of clams I've ever seen! I had ordered the whitefish, and was suprised to see whole little fish - heads and all! Okay, I'm spoiled, and needed to exchange this for the seafood chowder ..... that dish was heavenly. The server didn't give me a hard time for being a wuss either :)

There was so darn much food, I couldn't eat it all even though I've got quite an appetite :)

I had salmon, one companion had a wonderful steak, and our third had the lobster ...... mmmmmmm, yummy .....

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Riccini's: Great italian food in Kilkenney!!

by kymbanm Updated Mar 14, 2006

Riccini's was pricey, but worth it. The food was heavenly, the bread delicious, and the dessert was so very, very, very wonderful!

Though customer dress ranged from suits and semi-formal through to jeans and a nice shirt, the service was that of a top notch restaurant.

I don't drink alcohol, but my companions were impressed with the wine list and their own selection.

BTW- I just got an email from loverly VTer SabrinaSommerville to correct the name of this place :) She tells me it's Rinuccini's. "In fact the owners of the restaurant of the same name are directly related to the owners of La Palma Italian restaurant in Waterford." Thanks Sabrina!

Favorite Dish: I had a wonderful beef dish, one companion had pasta, another had chicken. We were all pleased with the presentation as well as the taste.

A note of caution though: the veggies were FRIED!!!!!

• Castles and Palaces

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

An Teach beas: Don.t miss the fiddlers & folk singers

by scottishvisitor Updated Dec 12, 2005

The atmosphere in this tiny bothy style pub is electric. Excellent local musicians & singers entertain into the wee small hours.
    The bar service is fast & efficient considering the size of this charming little pub.

Favorite Dish: All food is homemade & delicous & is served in the restaurant & bar of The O'donague hotel which owns the pub. The traditional wholesome Irish Stew goes down well with a pint of the black stuff.

• Hiking and Walking

OUT OF THE BLUE: Dont miss this seafood-restaurant

by florry Written Mar 31, 2004

This is a lovely seafood-restaurant looking over the Dingle pier!

Favorite Dish: This Restaurant has everyday a different menu, whatever fish got freshly catcht they got it. I would recommend to ring up to book a table.You also can sit outside.

john bennys: best barfood

by florry Updated Jun 1, 2004

for once it has lots of vegetarian dishes.fresh fish every day. the portions are big enough to fill you up for the day. all the lovely desserts are homemade and its not to expensive. good music in nighttimes

Favorite Dish: i love fish and salads and i would eat smoked salmon salad a lot. the black sole is very nice with lemonbutter.

• Music

• Coombsie's Profile Photo

Durty Nelly's: Tourists love this place!

by Coombsie Written Dec 2, 2004

Durty Nelly's is definately an experience. When we walked through the door, the place was packed. There were 3 gentlemen sitting in a booth right at the front of the bar, one was playing a squeeze box, and all of them signing their hearts out.

There is sawdust on the floor, and the beer flows freely. No one is a stranger here, all are welcome. It was a fun night!

Favorite Dish: Before going to the bar, we went upstairs to the restraunt and had dinner. The service was excellent. I had the stuffed chicken, and it was outstanding. The place fills up quickly, and we were lucky to get a great table.

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Kashmiri Restaurant in Tralee: Try South Asian cuisine

by AKtravelers Written Feb 22, 2004

The best restaurant we ate at was a Kashmiri/Pakistani/Indian resturant in Tralee. It was located on the main drag not far from the largest church in town (forgive me for not remembering the name or street of the place). The restaurant has just opened but alredy was in line for national awards. We ate there three times during our week in Tralee and never found a better restaurant during the entire trip.

Favorite Dish: The breads are fabulous. There was one that I had never had in all my years of eating South Asian cuisine. It was sweet and delicious. One look at the menu and you'll know which one I'm talking about. Eat it!!

• Goner's Profile Photo

Closest Pub: Great Food at the Pubs

by Goner Updated Jul 24, 2008

We found eating at the pubs was inexpensive and very good. Good soups, fish and chips, Irish stew and great bread and beer. The pubs are cozy and you can visit with the locals. On a chilly Irish evening it's the best.

Favorite Dish: The stews were always the best on the menu.

• Beer Tasting

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Mother Hubbard's: The cupboard was indeed full...

by sourbugger Updated Jun 2, 2004

Great name eh ? Although only starting out as a truck stop, this company has been going for some 25 years and has consistently been able to deliver food that is just a cut above the normal standard of fare you would expect at a service station in Ireland or the UK. It is very welcoming of families and the service areas are smart and packed with useful amenities - like good bogs !

The one on the main N4 road just before the fork of the N4 and N6 is the original (Moyvalley), and most well known of the half-dozen or so restaurants in the chain.

Favorite Dish: I defy you not to read the breakfast menu and not end up with saliva in you mouth...

The classic breakfast of pork sausages, bacon, Loughnane's black and white pudding and barn fresh free range eggs

Mother Hubbard's potato cake with baked beans and bacon

Scrambled free range egg with
    grilled tomato and Mother Hubbard's
    potato cake (V)

All of the above served with tea or coffee and brown bread or toast

Toasted soda bread filled with pork sausages and bacon. Ask if you would like fried onions!

The traditional Mother Hubbard favourite fine pork sausages

Toast or Brown Bread

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

O'Grady's: Fresh Seafood

by IrishFem Updated Sep 10, 2003

A delightful restaurant serveral miles outside Salthill heading towards Spiddle. Fresh seafood, delicious deserts and beautiful views overlooking the Atlantic. Although a bit expensive the food was so tasty and the view was spectular. It was also nice to go for a walk along the harbour after dinner to get rid of all those wicked deserts.

Favorite Dish: For starters l have half dozen Pacific Oysters at 8.85, friends had crab cocktail 8.85, smoked slamon pate 9.50 and steamed fresh mussels with sweet chilli at 8.25. For main course we shared the Seafood Platter which consisted of Smoked Salmon, Prawns, Smoked Mackeral, Oyster and salad at 19.95 and alos fillet steak which was 23.75 and lamb shank at 19.5. For the dessert again we shared bread and butter pudding with creme anglaise 5.50, vanilla nut ice ream cluster with french caramel sause at 5.50 and creme brulee at 5.50. Boy l love my food...

• iris2002's Profile Photo

Java Caf? in Blackrock: Fresh Carott Cake

by iris2002 Written Apr 14, 2006

This used to be my usual weekend brunch spot for a pot of Lemon ginger tea and fresh carrot cake - yum.

Through the full glasses front you can see the hussle and bussle and it's a great spot for people watching --- you might see some of Dublins celebrities in here and it's also a popular hang out place for foreign students... a real cosmo-hub

Favorite Dish: Carrot Cake
    Death by chocolate

• Business Travel

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo

Bartender Wanna Be

by Pawtuxet Written Jun 30, 2003

After travelling for several days across Ireland....one pub seemed to blend into the next and soon I didn't remember one from another. Not that I had too many pints, you understand...but they are all friendly, simple, fun, and lots of good beer. My husband asked for his pic to be taken w/ the Irish bartender...he was wishing he could work in a bar like that.

• Beer Tasting

• Templars Inn: Divine Cuisine and Affordable Prices

by Beechebabe Written Apr 2, 2009

I have just returned from a beautifu trip in glorious sunshine on the Hook Peninsula. It has so much to offer in scenery and quaint little beaches dotted in the most unsuspecting places. The fresh air gave us an healthy appetite and we stopped at a lovely roadside pub that advertised food called Templars Inn.
    Our first impression as we walked into the place was the cleanliness of the premises and figured this had to be a safe place to eat for ourselves and the 3 children. It is spacious and offers a lovely little childrens corner much to the pleasure of tired parents.
    We were greeted and the children welcomed by Nancy the proprietor and given our menus. The childrens menu was very good and offered smaller alternatives to adult portions if preferred. Both myself and my husband went for the fresh seafood chowder and wholesome brown bread and butter. I chose the salmon and my husband chose the steak for our main course and they were both promptly served with a melody of vegetables and potatoes.
    Although we were well satisfied with the meal so far we decided to go for dessert. Both of us chose the homemade fruit crumble with cream even though the bread and butter pudding looked equally as inviting. Our children got a selection of ice-cream 'party style' that went down a treat!!
    During coffee we were treated to after dinner chocolates and the kiddies got lollies. We were made feel welcome and when children ask 'can we come back here again' it says a lot for a place.
    It was great to get such fresh seafood when visiting the area and at prices we could afford. We will definitely be back.

Favorite Dish: We both agree that the seafood chowder is the best we ever got as it is a favourite with us all, children included, and the brown bread was better than anything we've tasted for a long time.
    It was full of seafood goodness and not the usual hot cream and smoked 'bits' that so many call seafood chowder. It also had a lovely balance of vegetables that were well cooked and offered a very unique treat to the diner. A very wholesome and healthy seafood chowder.

• Beaches
    • Fishing

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Supermacs: McDonald's look out

by sourbugger Updated Apr 20, 2004

This chain of fast food places wipes the floor with Maccy Dee's in Ireland.

They look very similar inside and out to Mc'Donalds but serve proper chips rather than those silly fries. They also do curry sauce and a garlic dip to put on them.

Each outlet may have one item that it does only there. I especially like the steak sandwich in Ballinasloe.

Often open very late - so good for some late night tucker after the pubs.

Favorite Dish: Got to be the Lunch box with good fried chicken & proper chips.

If i'm feeling like a good pig out on fast food I often can't resist having garlic dip and cheese on top as well.

THE OLD SMOKEHOUSE: HMMM

by florry Written Jun 22, 2004

I just had dinner there yesterday and i must say the food is very nice. the menu is big enough to cater for all tastes...And the nicest thing about it is that you can sit outside next to a river....

Favorite Dish: I had smoked salmon for starters..and hake for maincourse.... very, very tasty...

• Music

88 Reviews - 234 Photos
Clifden Hotels
37 Reviews - 173 Photos

Instant Answers: Ireland

Comments

Ireland Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ireland restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ireland sightseeing.
Map of Ireland