Connemara, Ireland

Letterfrack
  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

Letterfrack, Connemara

by MalenaN Written Apr 2, 2013

Letterfrack is a village in Connemara, situated about 15km northeast of Clifden.

I chose Letterfrack to be my base for a few days while exploring Connemara. The Connemara National Park visitor Centre is situated in Letterfrack, but was closed during my visit in February. From the visitor centre there is a good trail up on Diamond Hill where I hiked up soon after I had arrived to Letterfrack. During my stay in Letterfrack I also visited Kylemore Abbey and hiked up on Tully Mountain.

Letterfrack is a village and for being such a small place I was surprised to find three pubs, at least two cafés, a large food store, a post office, a library (with Internet) and there is also a film club and a furniture college in Letterfrack.

My Letterfrack page.

Letterfrack View from Diamond Hill Letterfrack Letterfrack

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Two hikes in Connemara

by MalenaN Written Apr 2, 2013

Diamond Hill
    Connemara National Park Visitor Centre is situated in Letterfrack. It was closed in the end of February when I visited but it is here that the trail up on Diamond Hill, a mountain 442m high, begins. The hike to the top and back is 6.7km long, but if you don’t want to go all way up there are shorter trails to walk as well. I couldn’t see any other trails leading further into the national park while I hiked up on Diamond Hill. The trail is mostly easy to walk, but higher up on the mountain slope the path is rockier.

I arrived in Letterfrack before lunchtime, and I had bought my lunch picnic already in Galway, so after checking in my luggage at Letterfrack Lodge I headed out for Diamond Hill. It was a clear and sunny day, even though a bit cold. It was a lovely walk with beautiful views.

Tully Mountain
    I had seen photos from Tully Mountain and wanted to do a hike there while in Letterfrack. When I asked Mike at Letterfrack Lodge about the mountain he borrowed me a map, and drew on the map where I should walk while on the mountain. I also wrote down his instructions.

In the morning I brought a lunch picnic and set off for Tully Mountain. From Letterfrack I first walked along the road to Tully Cross. After Dawros River I turned left towards the mountain. Mikes description was something like this: Walk past the quay a few hundred metres to the top of the road, turn 90° right and walk 50m to the fence, hop over at the step (and yes, there was a way to get over the fence there), keep going straight to the shoulder. Stay on the shoulder to the top, there are four tops, keep going downhill to a stonewall, turn left, follow the stonewall and coast back.

It was a beautiful sunny day and the views were stunning in all directions, towards the sea and towards Connemara National Park. I enjoyed the hike very much and didn’t see anyone else on the mountain. Tully Mountain is only 356m high. There is no real trail, but only some sheep tracks. When it was time to descend I walked a bit too much to the left and there the heather was high at places. Near the stonewall I found a big stone in the sun where I had my lunch. On the way back I followed a narrow road below the mountain and then continued back along the main road to Letterfrack.

Walking to and from Tully Mountain, and the hike on the mountain, had all together taken around 7 hours. This hike was the highlight of my week in Ireland.

Below Tully Mountain Tully Mountain Tully Mountain, Connemara Diamond Hill View from Diamond Hill, Connemara

Letterfrack & the National Park

by globetrott Updated Apr 4, 2011

Connemara National Park is a big area east of Clifden and south of Leenane and it includes 4 of the 12 bens - among them is Benbaun, which is the highest of them with 730 meters. Inside that National Park you will also see plenty of megalith graves, dating back more than 4000 years.
    You may walk through the national Park all year long, but the Visitor centre is only open during summer, daily between May and September.
    More infos and pics are to be found on their web-page - click on my link below !

• Adventure Travel

• Make sure you have a good shoe

by yvonnelks Written Oct 23, 2008

Visit to the Connemara National Park when you're at the Connemara area. Go for a good hiking, you can choose a shorter track (3km) if you're not ready for a longer hike. Enjoy the breeze and the view. I were not a good hiker, but i didnt felt like i've walked for 3km when I got so enjoy the nice view while walking.

On your way to the national park, remember to stop by and visit the beautiful Kylemore Abbey too. You wont regret stopping by to take a few snapshots.

Cong Abbey

by globetrott Updated Jan 6, 2008

Cong Abbey is an interesting monastery in the northern part of Connemara. Its origins are dating back to the 6th century, but is was destroyed and rebuilt again in the 12th century by Turlough O'Connor, King of Connaught and High King of Ireland.
    You can enter Cong Abbey freely and without restrictions during the day and will see there some very few fine ornaments and plenty of great arches.
    Cong Abbey was also the home for the Cross of Cong - a 75cm high procession-cross, made of gold and precious jewels. It is shown in the National museum in Dublin.
    Most ofthe tourists are coming to Cong because of the movie "The Quiet Man" and the area around the abbey was also used as a background-scenery for it.

Cong Abbey Cong Abbey Cong Abbey Cong Abbey
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel

The " Quiet Man Cottage " near Maam Cross

by globetrott Updated Jan 6, 2008

"The Quiet Man" was a well-known movie made in the late 1950s at various places in the Connemara, mainly in Cong around Asford castle, but also here, close to the small village of Maam Cross, where you can still see the original cottage, where John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara had their home in the movie. In german that movie was called "Der Sieger" and it is about a former boxing-champion who had killed accidentally a man in the ring and is now trying to start a new life in Ireland, the land of his childhood...
    On my main picture you will see the tiny hut, it is one of the attractions at a petrol-station maybe 2 km west of Maam Cross, on your way to Clifden.
    You may not enter the building, but take a picture from outside, and of course you will also find all sorts of souvenirs there ! For the best "Quiet Man" souvenirs and infos you better go to Cong !

The more places of the the more places of the more places of the
    • Women's Travel
    • Seniors

the 12 Bens

by globetrott Written Jan 6, 2008

The 12 Bens are the group of small hills that you will see from almost anywhere in the Connemara.
    To Connacht (the old name for Connemara) or to hell used to be a sentence at the end of many trials and in fact to be banned to Connacht might have been worse then to go to prison (=hell). The soil was totally unfertile, too many rocks and a salty ground so fishermen collected the sea-tweed and dried it in the sun in order to improve the soil, and at some places you still may see heaps of sea-tweed waiting to be carried away.
    In former times all inhabitants of the Connemara were poor, while today more and more people build a 2nd home there and some parts are already a bit over-run by them. get to Connemara BEFORE all of the magic landscape has disappeared between modern buildings.

in the Connemara in the Connemara in the Connemara in the Connemara in the Connemara
    • Adventure Travel

Roundstone

by globetrott Written Jan 6, 2008

Roundstone is one of my favorite villages in the Connemara, because from there you will have a great scenery of mountains, lakes and bays. I have been in Roundstone several times and it became quite full of tourists recently, also because of a movie that was made there :
    The Matchmaker - that movie was filmed in Roundstone in 1997

Matchmaking is still quite usual in Ireland and there are traditional festivals, where people of all ages meet in order to find a partner.

• Singles

• Rinjani's Profile Photo

Walking in Connemara National Park

by Rinjani Written Aug 19, 2007

The national park is 2000 hectare wide and home for wildlife on the slope of the Twelve Beans. There are three routes available for walking enthusiast. Red route is the farest (7 kilometer and the path brings you to the top of the mountain). The path is available and just follow the sign. Although in shiny summer day, bring jacket is advisable, since the Irish weather can change in seconds.
    For more complete walking guide, you can buy “Walking in Connemara” guidebook, available in the souvenir shops.

Walking in Connemara

• gersh's Profile Photo

Kylmore Abbey

by gersh Written Apr 6, 2007

A most beautiful place to visit in Connemara , the place was actually a marriage gift from an english man to his wife ,today the place belongs to the church ,it stands beside Kylmore lake.
    Don't miss it.

Kylmore Abbey

• magor65's Profile Photo

Connemara

by magor65 Written Oct 26, 2006

If I ever go to Ireland again, I am sure I will spend more time in Connemara. This region in the west of Ireland, bounded on three sides by the Atlantic, offers a visitor a full range of breathtaking sights, experiences and activities. Even a short drive across Connemara will delight you with its unspoilt beauty: majestic mountains, mist-covered lakes, rugged coastline and picturesque villages are all there waiting for you. Frequent changes of weather are reflected in the lakes and mountains - they may look serene and tempting when bathed in the sun but hostile and sinister with clouds hanging low over them.
    We saw only a small part of this wonderland, but it was enough to fall in love. The part we explored, mainly on foot, is the region of Killary Harbour. We took a fantastic walk along Killary Fjord, the only fjord in Ireland. On that day we weren't lucky with the weather again. It was drizzling so after a few hours we were wet through, yet I recall it as one of our best trips. Even the slippery paths and walking through bogs in squelching boots didn't manage to deprive us of the feeling of sheer joy and excitement. After some time we learnt to step onto the grass rather than on the boggy path, which made walking more strenous, but 'less wet'. On the way we met hardly anyone - it was just us, a few sheep and nature.

Connemara Connemara sheep Connemara Connemara Connemara
    • Beaches

• JonED's Profile Photo

National Park & Gaeltacht

by JonED Updated Jul 28, 2006

Connemara is the name of a region consisting of a large portion of County Galway. It is one of the most scenic regions of Ireland and a drive through (if not a longer stay) is highly recommended if you are near Galway. The northern portion of Connemara is one of Ireland's six national parks. Connemara is also a "Gaeltacht", meaning Irish Gaelic is the primary language spoken here. The residents might speak English too... or they might not.

Connemara Connemara Connemara Peat Cutting in Connemara Connemara
    • Eco-Tourism

• ladyanne's Profile Photo

Connemara...By-Ways..back in Time!

by ladyanne Updated Jun 13, 2005

I would not plan a trip to Ireland and not include at least two to three days in Connemara. My first trip I wisked through this area.....and regreted it, always wanting to go back and finish the great gift it was. Other parts of Ireland, except Achill Island did not please me as much. I thought I would find it in the rest of my travels but I didn't.

Go to the West and Southwest of Ireland and savor every moment. It is the best.....it is truly taking a step back in time.... so refreshing and simple.

In my photo on this page we took a by-way road from Rossaveel to Oughterard. It was barren in some places and lush in others, this silly donkey was in the road, and when we stopped he greeted us with the best "Welcome we ever had" and "Number one of a Thousand". This was our first day....and this moment will never be forgotten.

Go............to Connemara, you will be happy you did.

Donkey Greeting in Connemara!

• Janni67's Profile Photo

Connemara

by Janni67 Updated Nov 16, 2003

Throughout the entire island of Ireland there are sceneries which are quite like natural wonders. Connemara is something special.

Connemara is located on the area of County Galway and in the southern part of Co. Mayo in the western Ireland and has some real special scenery. Connemara is bounded on the west by the Atlantic Ocean and on the east by Lough Corrib, which is largest lake in the republic of Ireland. Connemara is dominated by the rocky mountain range known as the Twelve Bens.

This is also where you'll find Irelan'd only fjord and one of Ireland's 5 national parks: Connemara National Park which covers 2000 km2 of mountain countryside. It is open from May to the end of September.

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

DO RENT A CAR....

by eden_teuling Written Aug 2, 2003

to enjoy every meter of your tour through grandiose IRELAND....

You can make reservations (wich is cheaper especially when you do it at the same time you book your flight or......just rent one at the AIRPORT where several well known names are represented: Herz, Avis etc......

Ireland is a country that begs to be toured from north to south and from east to west!!

I definately would feel lost and miserable without a car!

RENT A CAR....

Instant Answers: Ireland

Comments

Hotels Near Connemara
5.0 out of 5 stars