Galway, Ireland

Galway, River Corrib
  • kentishgirl's Profile Photo

by kentishgirl Updated Oct 31, 2004

Dancing in the street!! Galway

Galway is a beautiful city, it has a vibrant nightlife and fantastic shopping!

I visited Galway twice, first time was on a work weekend at Christmas and so we diddnt really experience much else here apart from the shops and bars!

I am led to believe that there are some amazing golf courses in these parts too!

Connemara is a great area also to explore, its scarily deserted and the true Ireland!

• Festivals
    • Architecture

• Joenes's Profile Photo

Galway City

by Joenes Updated Oct 7, 2005

Galway Bay

Galway is a nice city with a great nightlife because it is the head city for students. But it is mainly a great starting point for all that is to see in the stunning surroundings like the Aran Islands,Cliffs of Moher and a lot more.
    There are beautiful promenades along the harbour and seaside for great walks at sunset!

• Hiking and Walking

• Janni67's Profile Photo

City of Galway

by Janni67 Updated Nov 16, 2003

Colorful Galway houses

Galway City located at the mouth of Galway Bay is both a picturesque town with its' beautiful houses as well as a lively city with a wonderful avant-garde culture and a fascinating mixture of locally owned speciality shops, often featuring locally made crafts. The local handcrafts are indeed a feature of the entire region including hand knits, pottery, glass, jewellery and woodwork. Population of Galway is about 60 000 people.

Galway has many relics of its medieval past which are for sure worth taking time to explore. The city has of course changed considerably over the last centuries and features a fascinating mixture of new and ancient architecture. The centre of the city is compact enough to ramble around by foot.

• Goner's Profile Photo

The Burren

by Goner Updated Sep 11, 2003

The Burren

We headed north in the fog, up the west coast into the countryside. Potholes were plentiful, as the Irish say, "dim your lights when you're going into a pothole... I was still driving and that is when I flipped the construction sign, it was that or hit a truck. Faye was agreeable. Tiny roads, white sheep, ancient ruins, small once-white buildings, then into "The Burren". Had to pull off for pictures up a one-lane road. I enthusiastically hopped up on a rock with it's own waterfilled potholes to take pictures, slipped and landed full weight on my left shin. I was sure I had broken my leg. I decided then if it was broken I would get a cast on it and finish the trip, but with ice and elevation I was ready to go again.

• Goner's Profile Photo

Galway - The Farm House

by Goner Updated Aug 27, 2003

The Farmhouse

This was the night for our farmhouse B & B. Outside of Galway, we checked in and got directions for the local pub for dinner. We got lost in the dark on the way back and ended up on the road we weren't planning to take until the next day. With a map and our trusty map light, we found our farmhouse. We were tired. We crawled into bed, but these beds were covered with four of the heaviest wool blankets we had ever seen. We couldn't keep our lungs moving up and down because of the weight. Time for the giggles!

Ireland had beguiled me and in this part of Ireland I felt a strong link to my Irish ancestors, much stronger than my English heritage. The countryside didn't seem foreign to me, it felt like home, like I had lived here in one of these small cottages in a past life. Maybe this has something to do with my maternal DNA - or may be I've read too many Irish novels.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Galway a young City

by IrishFem Updated Jul 2, 2012

Galway City

Galway city is a wonderful place to go for a few days. Great atmosphere and full of students, so plenty of cheap places to stay and to eat. When the sun is shinning its nice to walk down the shopping street which are full of clothes shops, coffee docks, restaurants and other weird and wonderful things. Galway Arts festival takes place in July and the famous Galway races begin towards in August. You will find plenty of accommodation and places to eat from cheap eats to expensive restaurants. Don't forgot a walk along the beach in Salthill and visit one of the many pubs for traditional Irish music.

• tini58de's Profile Photo

by tini58de Updated Sep 16, 2006

Galway is a university town, so this place has lots of young people around! There are quite a few nice architectural and historical sights to see in Galway, but the most fascinating part is the life!!! Especially nightlife!!! We did enjoy both: we looked at turn of the century houses, went inside their beautiful old church, stepped through the Spanish Arch and looked around the harbour area. And of course we went inside some of their lovely old pubs and listened to some great Irish music! Great memories!

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

by Pieter11 Written Jun 29, 2007

Irish Music in Galway

The third biggest city of Ireland, after Dublin and Limerick, is Galway. The city has 70.000 inhabitants, of which a big part are students due to the university and the highschool that are situated there. Galway is located in the West of the island between Lough Corrib and the Gulf of Galway, where the Corrib river ends in the ocean.

The city is a perfect place to start trip from, to Connemara, the Burren National Park and the Aran Islands. Everything is very close. But the city itself is worth a visit too. It has a very nice old city centre with small cobble stoned streets with old houses and lots of popular pubs and restaurants.

The most famous sight in Galway is the so called Spanish Arch: a 15th century remaining from the time that the city was an important tradepost. And besides this it also has a nice old cathedral in the centre. But the most important attraction in Galway it the great nightlife with its many pubs where there is live music every single night, and the many music festivals that are helt here with only typical Irish music.

For more information about this city, you can check out my Galway-pages.

• Beer Tasting

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Written Apr 2, 2013

Galway

My visit to Galway was very short. I stayed for two nights, but went on a daytrip to Cliffs of Moher and Burren in between. I visited The Collegiate Church of St Nicholas and took a walk along River Corrib to Galway Cathedral, but I didn’t have time to visit the City Museum or take a stroll along the seaside promenade to Salthill. From Galway I travelled on to Connemara to stay there for a few days, but it is also possible to take an organized day tour from Galway to Connemara.

Galway has around 75 000 inhabitants and many of them are students. The city is known for all its festivals and cultural events, and pubs where traditional live music is often played.

Galway evolved from a small fishing village situated at the mouth of River Corrib. In the 13th century the town got its first fortified walls and in 1396 king Richard gave the power to 14 merchant families, families loyal to the crown. It is after those 14 families that Galway got the name City of the Tribes. With a natural harbour trade flourished with Portugal and Spain for centuries, until Galway was besieged by Cromwell in 1651.

My Galway page.

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

EVERY STOP HAS ITS SURPRISES FOR YOU....

by eden_teuling Written Aug 2, 2003

COLOURFUL FA��ADES IN IRELAND....

It is such a pleasure to walk through villages, small towns and bigger cities and see the wonderfully colourful houses (here in The Netherlands you are not allowed to paint your house in the colours you want!!)

It looks so gay and optimistic, fresh and charming whether the skies are grey or blue, whether it rains or the sun shines brightly.

• chrissie611's Profile Photo

Galway Ireland

by chrissie611 Written Apr 5, 2009

Old Abbey seen on day tour from Galway

Great town --- good location to base self to see surrounding sights. Friendly people, safe, good transportation. We loved it! It was a beautiful trip. Take a day tour or drive out on your own --- the countryside along the coast is lovely.

• tvdm's Profile Photo

by tvdm Updated Sep 10, 2004

The cliff of Moher

Galway is arguably the most happening place in the Republic after Dublin. For a city its size, Galway has a bustling city life and excursions to Connemara en the Cliffs of Moher (see pic) are great opportunities.

The central location and excellent tourist facilities make Galway THE place to go in the West of Ireland. You won't be bored there. Restaurant and pub life is sprawling, shopping opportunities are great and the surrounding scenery is to die for.

Make sure you go out for dinner and drinks here. It's fabulous to see that a small-sized city on the edge of the world can pull off such a cosmopolitan air!

• Helena1962's Profile Photo

The capital of its county

by Helena1962 Written May 23, 2005
    Behind the spanish Arch

As per my mind, Galway is the furthermost northern capital of Ireland.
    We were told this is the city with the highest increment of population for over three years in the entire European Union.
    From here there are many excursions you can make.

• Helena1962's Profile Photo

More about Galway (Part 2)

by Helena1962 Updated May 24, 2005
    Spanish Arch

It is very nice to make a walk through the pedestrian area, starting at the main square. From here spoke J.F. Kennedy when he went to Galway. Turn then left and you stay almost in front of the Spanish Arch next to the Galway City Museum.
    Right now (may 2005) the main square is closed for works and the same is for the Galway City Museum.
    The spanish Arch was built within the city walls, that now are already completely dissapeared.

• kcochran111's Profile Photo

Go Galway!

by kcochran111 Written Mar 13, 2003

A straight shot west of Dublin lies Galway, my favorite city in Ireland. A friend of mine raved about the charm of this city, so I had high expectations when I finally made a trip there. Galway completely lived up to its reputation. I met the greatest people there, and assimilated an Irish accent after hanging out with the locals for a few days! It is truly one of the most charming cities I've ever visited!

• School Holidays