Ring of Kerry, Ireland

Sneem

Torc Falls

by Goner Updated Aug 28, 2003

Torc Falls

We stopped at "Torc Falls" a sixty-foot waterfall in the thick Irish woods. We saw Leprechauns lurking in the mossy ground and trees. That's where Faye found she had no film in her camera (blame it on the Leprechauns).

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

Ring of Kerry Drive

by Goner Written Aug 27, 2003

Patriot Sheep

Now the "Ring of Kerry" is a mountainous road with many tight curves and all passengers should take at least 10mgs of Valium before attempting this ride. Most of the time you are riding inches from the rock walls. I felt like I was riding with a kamikaze pilot. Each time we met a truck or tour bus our lane was reduced to half road and half hedgerow, ditch or rock wall.

The scenery was sometimes distracting from the terror of the ride. Every curve brought different vistas from ocean cliffs, seaside villages with amber and sometimes purple hillsides.

Besides the oncoming vehicles, the other obstacles on the road were the "red necks", the "red butts" and the "patriots" - these sheep had some unusual markings. They seemed totally bored with our presence and weren't in a hurry to get out of our way.

• Ring of Kerry, Co. Kerry

by sabsi Updated Mar 23, 2003

A beach at the Ring of Kerry

Ireland's major tourist attraction
    This is where almost every coach tour in Ireland goes so it can be crowded. When we went it was surprisingly empty and nice... The views are breathtaking, the villages 'dressed up' and the beaches white and sandy!

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Ring of Kerry

by Sunshine64 Updated Mar 8, 2003

See the lovely country-side, the Atlantic Ocean, and ruins of old castles.

There are these giant coach buses that take huge groups on tours of the Ring of Kerry. The road is so narrow that they all have to go in the same direction, as there is not room for 2 buses to meet.

We took the train from Dublin, and what started as a disappointment turned into a blessing. We were too late for the last bus. So, we found a company that gave private tours, and for a fairly reasonable price we had our own driver/tour guide and could decide which spots we wanted to stop at, and for how long. I would highly recommend doing the tour this way!

• tvdm's Profile Photo

Kerry the Kingdom

by tvdm Written Feb 25, 2003

I'm very fond of Kerry and I recommend to visit any of the three main peninsulas there. Iveragh with the Ring of Kerry is very busy during summer, so head for Dingle (pic) or Beara in that case. See my Killarney page for more detailed info about this fabulous destination!
    Here you will find all Ireland has to offer: pristine beaches, the wild ocean, steep cliffs, silent forests, green fields, sleepy villages and towns full of friendly folks, food and lots of beer! Need I say more?

• Adventure Travel

• HAWLEYJ's Profile Photo

The Ring of Kerry.

by HAWLEYJ Written Feb 25, 2003

I have heard that people bike the 'Ring of Kerry' (a highway system that goes basically around County Kerry). I was planning on doing it, but boy am I glad I didn't! I am not athletic, and I realized as I took a motorized tour how far it actually was. Anyway, the Ring of Kerry has many wonderful attractions, such as Killarney (where I got to hear a wonderful choir), that 'old town' I mentioned earlier, and my favorite- this stunning vista on the very southwest coast of Ireland. Absolutely beautiful!

• Cycling

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Ring of Kerry - this is a most...

by sphynxxs Written Feb 25, 2003

Ring of Kerry - this is a most beautiful landscape, many people tour the Ring, or rather the peninsula on bikes. If you are not too sportive, you might just take a ride from Dingle to the westernmost point of Ireland, to Slea Head. Fantastic view from the cliffs to Blaskett islands, and the mountains along the road are not too hard to conquer

• Cycling

• illudiumqh36's Profile Photo

Ring of Kerry

by illudiumqh36 Written Feb 8, 2005

Have a car ride or better a bike ride if you can (it was raining very hard when we were there) through this beautiful rough countryside landscape and sometimes stop to take some pictures.

Map of the Ring of Kerry

by Goner Written Sep 11, 2003

Map of the Ring of Kerry

This map shows the road around the "Ring of Kerry and the places to visit. I really think it takes more than a day to see everything

• bkathryn's Profile Photo

Check out the stone walls!

by bkathryn Written Feb 25, 2003

This won't be hard, but you must see the stone walls that are all over the country. We saw these lovely stone walls along the Ring of Kerry (or Kerry Way) in May 1993.

• Eco-Tourism