Tourist Attractions in Ireland

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Ireland

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Be warned.....

by sourbugger Written Nov 12, 2008

They say that there is no one as irish as O'Bama !

And it is true...new research has traced Mr Obama's maternal family tree back to his great-great-great-great grandfather Joseph Kearney, a cobbler from Moneygall, County Offaly (1794 to 1861).

An invite from the county for the president elect to visit has already been condemned in the Irish press and a grubby money-making and opportunistic venture.

I rather hope it actually happens, although I guess other countries have better claims on his ancestry - after all, we are all connected to each other within six degrees of seperation !

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

Day Tours Unplugged - unhappy experience

by swissfondue Written Jun 16, 2008

If you are thinking of taking a day tour to the Wicklow Mountains from Dublin be aware that your day may not go according to plan. I had prebooked a tour on the internet and received confirmation of the date and pick up time. I chose this particular company because of their good reviews and because the hotel we were staying in was a designated pick up point.

Sadly, I was not able to provide a review of any sort because THEY DID NOT PICK US UP!!!!

After waiting for over half an hour to be collected, and seeing a bus drive past and not stop, I rang Day Tours Unplugged to find out what the hold up was. There was no hold up.... they just drove past us...without stopping...even though our names and the correct collection hotel were on their list.

After a bit of a half hearted apology, an offer was made to take us the next day, but we were flying to London so this was not possible. They said they would refund our money...and so they should, but no other help or suggestions were given to solve our dilemma, and I found them to be most unhelpful considering the problem was their fault.

Hopefully this is not a common occurrence but we were most disappointed at not seeing the Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough. I expected more assistance from Day Tours Unplugged and could not recommend them to anyone. There are a number of other companies doing this same trip so check them out.

Unique Suggestions: We caught a taxi into O'Connell Street and the ladies in the tourist centre were most helpful and very apologetic. They organised a spot on a trip with Dublin Tours at very short notice and although we did not get to our preferred destination, we still managed to see some of the South Coast.

• mrolson65's Profile Photo

Guinness Storehouse/Brewery Tour

by mrolson65 Written Jun 4, 2008

I absolutely love Guinness.........but please skip the overpriced and underwhelming brewery tour. The tour is like a museum you just walk through to get to the top which is the Gravity Bar. The view from the Gravity Bar is not to be missed. However, if you are really a die-hrad Guinness lover than just visit any pub in Dublin and you won't be disappointed.

Unique Suggestions: I'd recommend a visit but only to visit the gift shop and then take the elevator up to the Gravity Bar. Both of these are free (except for the price of the Guinness while at the bar) while the tour costs about 14 Euros. Save the 14 Euros for the pints at the Gravity Bar as the tour is a waste of money.

Fun Alternatives: Visit so you can say you've been there but don't take the tour.

• Beer Tasting

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Aillwee Cave

by globetrott Updated Jan 5, 2008

Aillwee Cave is a place I did not enjoy at all, but of course I know lots of people who enjoyed that place a lot ! I dont like it simply because they make a lot of advertisment and all over Ireland you will get their brochures and when you are finally there, you just may walk inside a cave and see places, where obviously bears hibernated a long time ago. And around that simple fact they constructed a gigantic program, light-effects in the cave etc.
    In the underground of all of the Burren there are several caves, BUT Aillwee Cave is the only one that you may enter :
    Aillwee Cave is open for visitors daily
    all year long after 09.30a.m.
    entrance-fee is 10 Euros / children : 5 Euros !
    see their web-page : www.aillweecave.ie

Unique Suggestions: At least I think that Aillwee Cave is a good place to take a rest, use the toilettes, park your car on a large parking, cook a meal inside your motorhome or go to the tea-room of the cave...

Fun Alternatives: Go Hiking as much as possible through the beautiful and interesting landscape of the closeby Burren - BUT Aillwee Cave DOES NOT show at any place, what the Burren looks like 1-2 meters beneath the surface - THAT would really be interesting to see with all the small gorges and gaps, where the different exotic plants start to grow out...

• Adventure Travel

• molough's Profile Photo

Dublin Castle

by molough Written Nov 14, 2007

Sorry to say, but it was a bit disappointing! It wasn't as grand as we were expecting. I would suggest skipping it and heading over to the Guinness Storehouse!

Fun Alternatives: Guinness Storehouse! It's about a 5-minute walk down the street

• Singles
    • Architecture

• Cliffs of Moher

by gardenglenn Written Jun 2, 2007

Beautiful indeed but what you dojn't see in the gorgeous photos of this rugged coast line is the tour busses, vendors, unnatural stiars, Tshirt stands. I would skip this and see the real thing in DIngle.

• thechels's Profile Photo

We did it...well my mother did...

by thechels Updated May 29, 2007

We did it...well my mother did anyway...we climbed up those circular castle stairs...(God only knows how many...but there were alot and they were falling apart)We get to the top of this huge castle...and my mother tells me we're going to 'kiss the blarney stone'...

oh good heavens!
    I looked down...

and then, they (the they being these two men working the blarney castle kiss me spot that day, and my mother), explained to me that i would lay on my back and they would scoot me over the edge of this castle while holding my feet as i dangled upside down....

shyyyaa riiiight!!!

NOT!!!
    She kissed the side of this castle ~upside down, mind you, by scooting herself off the ledge on her back,with these two men holding her by her ankles!!!!

But, hey now... i wasn't about to let these strange men hold me to my death ...uh uh...i think it was then that my fear of heights was developed...

Fun Alternatives: LOL... climb with someone you know, and have the joy in watching THEM dew it!!!{the non chicken actually gets a certificate of blarney stone kissing, i think, if i remember correctly.}

• Ireland

by osully5040 Written Jan 18, 2007

Ireland is one big tourist trap in Spring/Summer. Go in the offseason.

Unique Suggestions: Best time to go to Ireland is October/November. Half of America goes to Ireland in the Spring/Summer. I've been to Ireland a half dozen times. Always in October/November. Once in February. No tourists anywhere for the most part. Not to mention everything is cheaper _ airfare, hotels, car rental. Dublin, Killarney, Blarney are all palatable in the offseason. You might give up something with the weather but as I always say a damp day in Ireland is better than a sunny day most places!

• Museum Visits
    • Singles

• singimorning's Profile Photo

Roads

by singimorning Updated Jul 16, 2006

They say that you know that you are in Ireland when you are lost. This is very true... Its roads are very bad and quite dangerous.

Unique Suggestions: When you get lost stop and try to find something familiar....also is very important to count the kilometres in your car kilometres counter as the maps will normally tell you the distance between towns. If the map says 30 kilometres and when your car says 30 you are not there.... welcome to Ireland.....You are lost.....However, do not get nervous as there is plenty rest areas on the roads and it won't take you too long to find your way again....To get lost only adds a bit of emotion to your trip.

• C&JTay's Profile Photo

You have to go, though

by C&JTay Written Jun 30, 2006

Blarney Castle

Unique Suggestions: Blarney Castle is a great landmark in the southern part of Ireland. Apparently Blarney Castle is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow because the Irish are making a fortune with the story of the Blarney Stone and the fact that people will play to kiss a piece of a wall. Admisson is 8 euro and includes a photo of you kissing the stone. In defense of the Irish, the castle does sit in a beautiful park. Some of the other castles charge 2-4 euro to get in, so Blarney considerably more expensive, but if you don't go, your friends will never let you live it down. A huge tourist trap, but a must see. The castle is in good shape and provides great views from the top.

• iris2002's Profile Photo

unusual traffic jams where you are stuck >>>

by iris2002 Updated Apr 24, 2006

ANYWHERE on a rural route actually ---- the danger looms in form of wooly things with legs and rather little brains... they attack in groups, blocking roads and sometimes settling in for a good natter baa-baa-baaa and a snooze on the tarmac....and THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO!

3 major road blockers are:
    **************************************************

1) SHEEP (wooly things with 4 legs making baa-baa - about knee-high)
    2) COWS ( tall fellas with sorta big butts - come in all colours, have horns)
    3) HORSES (stubborn a** long 4 legs, hufs and short fur mostly bog-colored)
    > see pictures below for proper identification ;)

Unique Suggestions: > DO relax and take deep breaths
    > Try not to use abusive language (it'll help ya nothing)

> DO NOT venture out cause you might be nipped in the butt or kicked by the ram (alpha-male of the sheep herd) outch

Fun Alternatives: > Sit still, take out the lunch pack and watch the lovely surroundings

> if ya have some old bread throw it out the window - ideally in a ditch, that might help them get off the road

> take out the rosary - so you could and keep praying, it might help - ah go on!

> Ahhh isn't it a nice day, so it is!!!

• Whale Watching
    • Religious Travel

• ladyanne's Profile Photo

Tourist Trap of all Tourist Traps, Mideval Banquet

by ladyanne Updated Jan 1, 2006

Well this was my third trip to Ireland so it was time to take a dive for the #1 Tourist Trap of all Tourist Traps...Bunratty castle and the Mideval Banquet, the night before our flight out of Shannon. I think ours was tough to take because it was off season and we had a bare-bones crew. The silliness got to me with the performance and I would have much rather preffered to hear more of the lovely voices of the singers . They shuffled us in and out and about like cattle, so if you do not like close crowds....beware. Also, some folk do get a bit rude and rowdy from drunkeness (the meade drink of honey and wine).

Unique Suggestions: I will say it was kinda of fun which I am almost embarrassed to say....but I could have done without this experience. And the cost was not quite worth it. The food was okay but uncomfortable and I know that was supposed to be part of the charm ( we ate with our hands and a knife only).

I did enjoy the decorations and authenticateness of the Tudor Style furnishings.

Fun Alternatives: The Bunratty Folk Park alone was a nice time.....historical and interesting. But leave the Banquet alone, unless there is nothing else to do. I think next time I would take refuge in an out of the way pub with some original local folk.

• illudiumqh36's Profile Photo

Irish Castles...

by illudiumqh36 Written Jan 12, 2005

Very very often the castle you are going to visit is very expensive and it's completely restored (almost new), so that only walls are original...(except for Donegal castle, there even walls are rebuild!!).
    This wouldn't be a problem If you are American and you don't have the possibility of visiting a real old castle...but for Italians, Frenches, Germans or other European people...I mean Europe is full of real ancient villas, castles and manors.

Unique Suggestions: However I found some castles really cute (in Kilkenny for example)...If you want to visit some don't have too much expectations.

Fun Alternatives: I think it should be better if you focus on ruins and bad-conserved castles if you can find some.

• Architecture

• spgood301's Profile Photo

Kiss the Blarney Stone?

by spgood301 Written Nov 28, 2004

Blarney is the ultimate touristy thing in Ireland. It's a must do for any first trip to Ireland, but if (ok, when) I make a second trip, I'll likely avoid it. It was very crowded, and, frankly, I was a little grossed out after kissing the Stone, because everyone else was kissing it too...but that's just me.

I spent the most time in Blarney at the various shops, and there are lots of them. It is the best tourist shopping that I saw in Ireland.

I'm glad I visited Blarney and it's definitely worth doing, but I spent a little too much time there. I wish I'd left a little earlier, and saw more things

Unique Suggestions: What I liked best about Blarney Castle was the views-you can see all over from the top of the castle, and will get great pictures. Plus, I could probably see my grandmother's birthplace somewhere off in the distance!

• TravelFess's Profile Photo

Guinness Storehouse

by TravelFess Updated Oct 18, 2004

I would not do the tour of the Guinness Storehouse, at least the self-paced one. Overall the tour is loud and not very interesting.

Unique Suggestions: I would however suggest going to the bar on top of the store and having a pint while you look over the city.

Ireland Hotels

124 Reviews - 210 Photos
Ennis Hotels
62 Reviews - 111 Photos

Instant Answers: Ireland

Comments

Ireland Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Ireland tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ireland sightseeing.
Map of Ireland