Douglas Restaurants

• iaint's Profile Photo

The Courthouse: great night

by iaint Updated Feb 10, 2011
    impressive

I had a wonderful evening in the Old Courthouse in February 11. Cocktails, then dinner, then more cocktails.

I enjoyed the food, and both the Chablis and the Pinot Grigio (yes, a bottle each - I admit it). It is a very lively place, and the bar was jam packed by the time we finished dinner (about 11.30!). The service was good, and the menu was varied. The Bloody Marys - spot on.

Fighting to the bar afterwards was pretty tough. We might have gone elsewhere, but it was quite wet outside, and not a night for wandering the streets.

Favorite Dish: The queenies - small scallops - as starter.

• Motorcycle
    • Business Travel

• iaint's Profile Photo

Hawthorn Inn: a good lunch

by iaint Updated Feb 8, 2011

This is a pub/restaurant in the village of Greeba. We had a late (3.30pm) lunch there on a Sunday afternoon, after a tour of the island.

A nice country place; friendly with good food. We both had turkey - as in Christmas dinner turkey - with cranberry sauce, stuffing, potatoes etc. A strange thing to have on the menu in February, but it hit the spot for us. Both recovering from a glass too many (just the one, mind you) on Saturday night and then some sea air to blow away the cobwebs.

£26.40 for the two of us, with coffee and drinks (soft) and including a tip.

Good food, good value, good place.

Favorite Dish: Turkey - at least until the next visit!

• Motorcycle

• Kettleman's Profile Photo

King and I: Thai?

by Kettleman Written Jun 14, 2007

The restaurant was quiet when we arrived. It's run by Neil and Sunny Maddrell. Nice understated decor and food that was simply gorgeous.

As they were short staffed, Sunny did the cooking and Neil was maitre d' and waiter.

The entertainment was courtesy of theit 7yo son, Alex. Although at a very tender age he kept everyone amused with his Q&A session on football (soccer my US friends!) and he knew an awful lot about his favourite subject.

Favorite Dish: The best Thai green curry I have had for years and years. The chicken satay was not far behind!

• Pauldelabar's Profile Photo

Unknown but it's the only one there.: On the beach at Port Sodderick

by Pauldelabar Updated Nov 15, 2005

Port Sodderick beach.

I and a friend were in Port Sodderick looking at the railway station when we spotted this restaurant and being lunchtime, decided to investigate further.
    We traversed the winding path down toward the beach and duly went inside and looked at the menu. I ordered Cottage pie and chips, and was asked "Are you sure?". I must have looked back with a blank expression as the lady behind the counter said "I'll show you what I mean"., and she produced the largest Cottage pies that I had ever seen ! "You get one of those each", she said. I now understood and the chips were duly dropped from the order !

Favorite Dish: Cottage Pie. What else ?

• Trains

Instant Answers: Douglas

Comments

Douglas Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Douglas restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Douglas sightseeing.