Places to eat in Isle of Man

Port Erin Fish & Chips, Isle of Man
    by SWFC_Fan
  • Chips, cheese and gravy - the national dish of IOM
    Chips, cheese and gravy - the national...
    by SWFC_Fan
  • Restaurants
    by bonio

Most Viewed Restaurants in Isle of Man

• KristaB's Profile Photo

Garrison: Tapas Under The Castle Walls

by KristaB Written Jul 18, 2004

This is the only place where you can eat a decent meal in the afternoon in Castletown and whole region.
    But you have to book in advance, I came here with kids because I had a lovely meal few days earlier, but there were no seats available. So before taking the tour of the Rushen Castle, just stop by and make a reservation. It is very close to the castle.

We ordered different tapas, all were delicious,

Tapas at Garrison
    • Trains
    • Castles and Palaces

La Pizza: Open on Sunday

by christine.j Written Aug 21, 2008

Sunday evening we wanted to go to a restaurant in Douglas for a nice dinner. This proved to be more difficult than I had thought, most of the places were closed. I don't know if we were unlucky and just tried the wrong places, but we were in the town centre of Douglas.

We finally found the Italian restaurant La Pizza open and a patron just leaving told us it was very good., so we went in.
    We liked it. I had cod, my husband pizza, both was very good. They have a large wine menu, but only one red and one white house wine by the glass. Every other wine was by the bottle, so we decided on the house wine. The wine was good, not excellent, but quite nice. The black currant sorbet I had for dessert was really good.

The room is not too large, but the painting of an open Italian square on the wall give the impression of a much larger room.

Very fast and efficient waiters, my plate was whisked away while I was still eating the last bite, a bit too efficient for me.
    Our bill came to about £ 40, including wine, water and coffee.

George Hotel: A disappointment

by christine.j Written Aug 21, 2008

When I got hungry while sightseeing in Castletown I found the pub which is part of the George Hotel on the main square there.It looked very nice from the outside and their
    special of the day was Lasagna, both a meat and a vegetarian one, which I like.

Usually the specials are good, so I ordered the vegetarian one. When I got it some time later, parts of it were burning hot, others were still frozen. It was clear to see that this was a frozen lasagna which had been put in the microwave for some minutes. A waste of time and money! The chips and the salad which were served with it were ok, not very good but at least good enough to eat.

It was a pity, because the pub looked very nice and those having tea seemed to enjoy it. But for a special of the day this one was very disappointing.

I paid £ 7.95 for it, too much for what it was.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Bank Coffee House: Small, but very good!

by christine.j Written Aug 21, 2008

Much smaller than the George Hotel, but also much better is the Bank Coffee House in Castletown. It's on the way down from the square to the castle, a little place with only a short menu. Mostly it's sandwiches and soups, also some cakes, tea and coffee. The sandwiches are prepared fresh while you wait.
    We ordered the soup of day and two sandwiches, but the soup was out. Actually the sandwiches were so filling, that I'm not sure if I could have finished the soup. We had prawn and crab sandwiches, both were very good.Together with two mugs of tea we paid less than £10.
    The café is open from 9-4:30 on a weekday and from 11-3 on a Sunday.

Harbour Lights: Posh Nosh

by kit_mc Written Jan 1, 2008

In fairness the Isle of Man isn't known for great restaurants but this is said to be one of the better ones. This place is open during the day only except for Friday and Saturday nights when they are also open until about 11pm.

It is very popular with locals so booking in the evening is recommended. There's no dress code but most people seem to dress quite smartly. Service is very good. They do not have a drinks licence but you can bring your own alcohol.

Favorite Dish: The menu is fairly extensive but not as imaginitive as it perhaps could be given the high prices. The steak is good quality, though if you like it cooked rare then make sure to ask as they tend to over cook it a little. The salmon with shrimp sauce was also nice but again overcooked.

The desserts here are very nice indeed, particularly the white chocolate dessert.

Harbour Lights Restaurant, Peel Harbour Lights Restaurant, Peel
    • Gay and Lesbian

Garrison Tapas Bar and Restaurant: Isle of Man Tapas

by kit_mc Written Jan 1, 2008

This restaurant serves breakfast in the mornings in the form of scrambled eggs and salmon, Sunday lunches and a wide selection of tapas in the evenings and has a good reputation on the island since it opened in 2001.

Enjoy a large glass of rioja in what is a modern and quite stylish bar, something that is fairly rare on the island to be honest. It seemed very popular with locals who were enjoying a drink as well as the tapas. During the day the food menu is a little sparse but they have a great cheese platter full with a selection of local cheeses for 5 pounds.

Tapas starts from about 5pm and booking is recommended certainly on Friday and Saturday evenings. The Garrison is closed on Sunday evenings.

Garrison Tapas Bar, Castletown, IoM Garrison Tapas Bar, Castletown, IoM Garrison Tapas Bar, Castletown, IoM
    • Gay and Lesbian

Sir Normal Wisdom Bar: Sefton Hotel

by kit_mc Updated Apr 4, 2011

In the Sefton Hotel in Douglas you'll find both a decent upmarket restaurant and the Sir Norman Wisdom Bar which also does cheaper bar food and main meals. Apparently it was much quainter before a renovation, but now it looks rather like a normal chain bar with very little character but reliable enough food.

I shared a very nice toasted halloumi cheese and sun dried tomato sandwich and a ham sandwich, but perfectly decent and priced at about 6.00 pounds, so not quite a bargain option.

Service is a bit on the slow side and with very little in the way of pleasantries. On the plus side is its central seafront location with views down the promenade. The Gaiety Theatre is right next door and the place is named after the British actor and comedian who apparently lives on the island.

Sir Norman Wisdom Bar, Douglas

• Angiolinos: Italian food

by biker7 Written Sep 9, 2003

The chef from the Paparazzi restaurant (previously one of the best eating places on the island) has now opened his own restaurant in Douglas.

The atmosphere is good and the food is great - this will soon be one of THE places to go

Favorite Dish: Pizza and pasta dishes are both excellent

• dervish's Profile Photo

The Ranch: loved the ranch!

by dervish Updated Mar 3, 2007

the ranch is a tex/mex western themed restaurant in douglas. as there is a big shortage of eaterys on the island in my opinion, this was recommended to me for my 3 hungry kids by a local lady. they loved the western theme and each seat is named after a state ( we sat in chicago). they do kids portions which was great, that come with complimentry soft drink. the waitress, a local girl was lovely. the only down side was the fact that the following evening we went there at about 6pm but it wasnt open till later unfortunately we couldnt wait.kids were disappointed.

Favorite Dish: i had the peppered chicken and home made onion rings ..delicious. the kids had spag bol and licked the plates{and u know how fussy most kids are}

• dervish's Profile Photo

hilton hotel: dining at the hilton

by dervish Written Mar 2, 2007

on holiday in douglas had lunch here at hilton with 3 kids. the bar is upstairs so we had bar food, but could also use the restaurant menu if we chose. the waiter was very helpful and friendly. we all loved the food, but the biggest thrill was the kids telling everyone on returning home that theyd eaten in The Hilton Hotel!!!!

Favorite Dish: i had a delicious home made angus beefburger with chunky cut fries, it was the presentation that impressed most. the kids ate pizza and spag bol and loved it.

• School Holidays

• L'Experience: Doesn't get better than this!

by jonny1969 Written Jul 1, 2009

We went on a Saturday night, there was a really nice atmosphere. It's very dark but that added to the atmosphere if anything. The food was top notch. There was a good choice of fresh local fish to choose from as well as other stuff. Fresh mussels to start were excellent and the halibut was perfectly cooked, the best I've had. Ditto for the steak, the best steak we've ever had, and we eat a lot of steak!! The french onion soup is supposedly famous but for once I could see why - it was excellent and it deserved the famous claim. Home made coffee profiteroles for dessert were outstanding. All desserts home made, everything in fact properly cooked from scratch and to order. The service was pretty good. Nice friendly owner was excellent, everyone else OK.

Favorite Dish: Got to be the steak. Fall off your fork tender.

• Business Travel
    • Motorcycle

• La Piazza, Douglas Isle of Man: La Piazza - Italy on a plate

by DSmok Updated Sep 1, 2009

First class family-Italian atmosphere very handy for IoM Steam Packet terminal.

Pizza's crisp, generous, good Italian ingredients. Wine list sufficient, good quality and not overpriced.

Service beautifully weighted - as only Italians can do.

Great place to eat and relax - could not fault it.

Best reason to go into Douglas.

Favorite Dish: Pizza - so tasty you'll be happy you didn't order the more expensive dishes

• Castles and Palaces
    • Trains

• Elliot's bistro: Elliot's bistro- book now!!!

by banner3 Updated Dec 2, 2008

Wow- THIS is what to expect when you go out for a meal- fantastic service, fantastic food and fantastic surroundings. Believe the hype about this place- I have travelled to many restaurants in many countries and this is up there with the best restaurants in the world. (seriously). The food was unbelievably fresh and nothing was too much for (I think it was Ian) who served us so wonderfully all evening. We were so lucky to get a table and it was by chance. I tried to book a table for this Saturday as I wanted to take my friend there who is coming over from Liverpool but they were full- such a shame. It's great to know there is somewhere you can totally depend on.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Ranch: Close to home

by bonio Updated Nov 8, 2008

American style steakhouse / diner just down the road from our hotel, a welcome sight on a wet evening.
    Appears to be family run and a very friendly welcome and comfortable seat for us.
    Plenty to choose from on the menu, even enough vegetarian options for Mrs B. Tasty food for both of us and a couple of beers to go with it, enjoyed our visit here.

• RiinaK's Profile Photo

Garrison Wine and Tapas Bar: Do not miss wine and tapas

by RiinaK Written Aug 7, 2007

It was not very easy task to find a decent restaurant in Isle of Man that was not INdian or Chinese place or some hotel restaurant. Finally we found the Garrison place near to the castle and we did enjoyed it a lot. Food was very delicious and service was great

Favorite Dish: Garlic bread with cheese and tomato, Capers and Goat cheese salad

Isle of Man Hotels

Athol Park, Port Erin, United Kingdom

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Couples

• Sefton Express

Stayed here with grown-up family and it met our needs perfectly. Easy walk to airport and only 20...

Top Isle of Man Hotels

Douglas Hotels
42 Reviews - 99 Photos
Port Erin Hotels
11 Reviews - 28 Photos
Ballasalla Hotels
6 Reviews - 11 Photos

Instant Answers: Isle of Man

Comments

Isle of Man Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Isle of Man restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isle of Man sightseeing.
Map of Isle of Man