Scanno Favorites

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

The road to Scanno

by BlueLlama Written Nov 11, 2012
    Distant mountains

Favorite thing: More even than the place itself, the journey to Scanno is a trip well worth taking. We came by car from Sulmona, and the road is a gorgeous, winding drive through forested mountains and high above rivers and dams.

On the way we saw towns nestled among the slopes, and a mightly hydroelectric plant, along with a bright blue reservoir (water as enticing as I've seen anywhere, complete with sunbathers). We also saw donkeys at a trekking centre and the dark expanse of the Lago di Scanno.

This is dramatic countryside, and a drive is a great way to see it. There was the frisson of driving alongside huge drops, although at least we weren't on a motorbike; the landlord of our guesthouse had warned us that it was all too easy for bikers to simply fall down the side of the mountains...

Lush forests, azure water, a great drive - go, you'll remember it for a long time.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Scanno

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 18, 2007

scanno

Favorite thing: Scanno is one of italy's best kept secrets: a stunning village located in the mountains, in the Abruzzo region. it's located in the Valle del Sagittario, at 1050 metres above sea level. The village is compact and full of traditional old stone houses, churches and fountains. There's flowers on every window and many old people in traditional clothes.

Fondest memory: The people are scanno's best asset, provided you understand their dialect, or at least speak Italian. Most are eager to talk to visitors, and we met a most stunning old woman who had asked where we were from. My husband mentioned his parents' town - for the record quite a large town 1.15 hour drive away still in the Abruzzo region - and she did not know where it was. Only later we discovered that she had never left the village her entire life... not even to go to the next village 8 kilometres away.

Instant Answers: Scanno

Comments

Scanno Favorites

Reviews and photos of Scanno favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Scanno sightseeing.