Maratea Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Maratea

Camping Maratea Pizzeria: Pizza Napolitana

by Jeannkelly Updated Jul 16, 2006

The other food in Camping Maratea is "schifo" (awful in Italian!)... forget about the bar and the other things you can get... BUT, NEVER EVER SNOB the Pizzeria of Camping Maratea. Its' just one of the best that you can have in the entire town!

Don't think about the ambience either, it does not matter, the pizzas are just yummy!!!

Favorite Dish: Try the Frufru... It's mixed seafood pizza or just the simple Magherita.

The thing is the pizzas that you order are cooked right infront of your eyes, should you wish to observe the chefs... and from an authentic Napolitan oven!

• Camping

Trattorias

by Jeannkelly Updated Sep 28, 2005

Trattorias are very common in small town summer areas of Italy. In Maratea, its dotted with several along the highway.

Trattorias are lesser versions of restuarants so don' expect fabulous dining experience. The service is quite ordinary with one or two servers. However, they can serve you with the best local recipe. So, trattorias should not be snobbed.

Favorite Dish: Always try the local wine from the area. You'll be suprised as to how wonderful they are, served in traditional bottles or pitchers.

Don't also miss the recipe of the house (or whatever they serve for the night, there are not so many selections anyway)... Down South of Italy, dont miss to ask for "spaghetti alla vongole"....;-).

Agri-tourism

by Jeannkelly Updated Sep 28, 2005

The Agri-tourism that we went to near Camping Maratea had a fixed menu for the night which consist of anti-pasto (mainly of pickled vegetable and a variety of cheeses), first plate (usually pasta), second plate (meat) and some salad. Beverage is an additional cost.

The ambience was very rural. While having your dinner, you could hear the horses neighing in the surroundings. Certainly it was a different experience from the usual dinner in a restaurant. It was the most diverse experience I had from the other dinners that I had during the entire stay in the area.

It was also good to know that for a vegetarian like me, the place is not very recommendable especially if one is a strict vegetarian because as I have mentioned, there is a fixed menu. Luckily that I am lacto-ovo vegetarian and that I could eat cheese and some dairy products, with the sensibility that the staff gave to me, they tried to serve me a "deviated" menu by giving me some grilled cheese for my second plate and a simple pasta for the first plate (without any meat).

Favorite Dish: The cheeses, however, were great but having so much of it, to some extent, it made me feel as if I were eating meat. So, I had to beg off.

The wine was local and it was the best thing that I had for the night.

• Adventure Travel
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Farm Stay

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Il Giardino di Epicuro: Lovely family Italian Restaurant

by Beausoleil Updated Jul 10, 2011

Restaurant sign on the road

When we arrived at our resort, a young woman handed us a business card and we tucked it away for future reference. We looked later and discovered it was a small restaurant just up the hill from the resort so one day we decided to drive up and eat there.

We parked on the road and walked down to the restaurant that looked closed. We peeked in the door and couldn't see much. Finally decided it must only be open at evening so we started back to the car. We immediately heard a very American voice shouting, "Come in; they're open." We turned around amazed to discover an American woman who quickly told us they were customers; the restaurant was very good and it was open.

She also said the owner spoke no English and her children who could were not currently there. She returned to her table and the owner came bustling out chatting in Italian so we asked to see a menu. It looked good so we asked for a table and were seated beside the American couple. We soon discovered they were from near Toledo, Ohio and were on their first trip to Italy and spoke no Italian. Ed quickly became the translator.

Favorite Dish: Ed & I shared an antipasto of ham, sausage, bacon, two cheeses and artichokes then got the cheese and sausage ravioli on recommendation from the other American couple. It was excellent. However, it all paled beside the chocolate almond torte for dessert. Fantastic!

Signora’s English-speaking daughter arrived and gave us each a rose as a memento of our dinner.

E-mail at: butterfly7978@tiscalinet.it

• Water Sports
    • Photography

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Bar Ristorante Pizzeria White Horse: An American name but definitely Italian restaurant

by Beausoleil Written Nov 17, 2010
    The White Horse

I had noticed an attractive restaurant down the hill from our resort and they had parking so we stopped for lunch and were very glad we did. Prices were reasonable, food was excellent, ambiance down-home Italian, service terrific.

Our gentleman waiter spoke no English but managed to understand our Italian.

The name of the restaurant is really (in English) The White Horse. I have no idea why and no one there spoke English. The menu was Italian and the food was terrific. It's very attractive and the terrace is covered so you can eat outside even in a light rain.

Favorite Dish: I got spaghetti with clams, roasted peppers and bruschette. Ed got spaghetti al pomodoro and a salad. House wine was good and the bread was warm and delicious.

The bread was so good Ed figured out how to ask in Italian if we could buy some to take home since we haven’t found a bakery yet. The waiter explained they weren’t allowed to sell bread but later appeared with a fresh warm loaf wrapped . . . and gave it to us! That one waiter made our entire day, bless his heart.

Here are directions to get there in Italian: uscita Lagonegro sud; prendere la Fondovalle del Noce - SS 585 direzione Maratea sud, oppure direzione Maratea Centro sino a località Marina.

• Photography
    • Water Sports
    • Beaches

• Il Sacello: Don't leave Maratea without eating to Il Sacello!

by loryt Updated Mar 17, 2012

I spent few days with my fiancé in the Hotel La Locanda delle Donne Monache, very romantic with breathtaking views over Maratea's historical centre. La Locanda delle Donne Monache's Restaurant, Il Sacello, was romantic, intimate and welcoming. I ate there every evening! The food was really delicious! The Restaurant combines a creative Mediterranean cuisine with the flavours and aromas of the local tradition. I found great the long portico overlooking the garden and the outdoor swimming pool: it offers to the guest an enchanting view from the large glass doors. As I wrote the ambiance is very romantic and relaxing, the music, the candles on the table, the staff very friendly and welcoming, everything was so special! My fiancé, who loves wine, had a great choice: the wine list prsented a wide selection of National and International labels accordingly to the gourmet cuisine. Regarding the prices, the Restaurant is not very expensive compared to other restaurants in Maratea. I really recommend this Restaurant to everybody: you can't leave Maratea without going to Il Sacello Restaurant!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is Gnocchi with scampi followed by sea bass fillet in a tomato pot. I finished my dinner with chunks of dense frozen ricotta icecream with shards of dark chocolate and a warm, fluffy muffin. Simply delicious!!! I love fish and the Restaurant offered fish and seafood souced from the fishing boats of Maratea. The desserts were spectacular!!!

• Luxury Travel

• La Locanda delle Donne Monache "Il Sacello": don't miss fish and desserts!

by anty2008 Written Mar 18, 2012

In october I have spent with my husband two days at the very nice Hotel La Locanda delle Donne Monache in Maratea.
    The day before our departure ,my husband and me decided to have dinner at theyr Restaurant Il Sacello.
    Really it is a very special place, romantic ,with a wiew on historical centre of Maratea.....on all the tables were candles.....the little garden near the poool was full of aromatic flowers.....
    The foods was good ,expecially fish and Basilicata's wine.
    The dessert was very good!
    The prices are not too expensive and all the staff was very kind with us.

Favorite Dish: Cavatelli is a local pasta,very good with tomato sauce and local pepper and ragout. Also I suggest you to try local beans with fresh mussels, very good believe me!

• Tolik's Profile Photo

Trattoria Pizzeria “La Torre”: Trattoria Pizzeria “La Torre”

by Tolik Written Jul 4, 2004

A street in the Maratea Old Town

This colorful restaurant locate on the Piazza Vitolo across from the Town Hall.

From our table we could see the Mermaid Fountain.

Good fresh seafood.

• Spa and Resort

Instant Answers: Maratea

Comments

Maratea Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Maratea restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maratea sightseeing.